Are you suppose to give out tips to pizza hut delivery?

Wow, a bunch of tight asses in this thread.

I delivered pizzas for quite awhile, and the money that the store gave me was for gas. If/When a customer doesn't tip, myself and everyone else that worked there usually didn't have a hard time remembering their address for the next time. If you get what I mean.

It's the law? :huh: Which Canada do you live in? :p

According to this, apparently you need to report tip earnings to the revenue agency, which would probably mean they would have built it into the receipt if that was the case?

I would tip the pizza guy, but I like pick-up better (Y)

doesnt say it's not the law.. but it outlines the fact your suppost to leave 10-15% for service, and 15-20% for good service.

these people make MINIMUM wage, which right now is $8 canadian. I'm making $13.50 CDN, and thats a struggle

Wow, a bunch of tight asses in this thread.

I delivered pizzas for quite awhile, and the money that the store gave me was for gas. If/When a customer doesn't tip, myself and everyone else that worked there usually didn't have a hard time remembering their address for the next time. If you get what I mean.

We get it. Also remember that if someone ever finds out that you f****d with their food out of spite, you'd be sucking your food through a straw.

I usually wouldn't give a tip, but I am not against it. But I defiantly wouldn't expect a tip, if i were working as a pizza guy. And i definatly wouldn't give him a tip if he asked for one.

What I do is if the bill is like $15 or so, I'll just give them a twenty and tell them to keep the change. But, in your case, I would've slammed the door on the guy's face because it's rude to ask for a tip, imo.

Well I am a delivery driver for Pizza Hut. A lot of people do tip, but most of the time it is only a couple of cents after rounding up to the nearest dollar (a $19.95 or $24.95 order only gets me 5c, for example). Some people are generous though.

But since it isn't the norm to tip here in Australia, it really doesn't bother me if I get a tip or not.

People who deliver a pizza to your house should be tipped just like a waitress in a restaurant or a bartender in a bar. They make their living from tips, not their wages. If you don't want to tip, get in your car and go pick up the pizza. Sheesh.

People who deliver a pizza to your house should be tipped just like a waitress in a restaurant or a bartender in a bar. They make their living from tips, not their wages. If you don't want to tip, get in your car and go pick up the pizza. Sheesh.

You should remember that not everyone on Neowin comes from the same country, or grew up in the same cultural background as yourself.

Tips barely make up 1% of my wages, so they hardly "make my living".

Many countries do not customarily tip, because it is seen as the employer's responsibility to ensure that the employees are working to their best ability.

Edited by matt_hobbs05

It's not other peoples fault if someone can't make a living off a wage. What about the rest of us?? huh? What about MY money that I work for!!! What about the same guy who works for a pizza place orders a pizza does he have to tip if he is barely making a living?

Like I said I am not against tipping, But I am against this compulsive "you must tip" crap.

I dont tip. I mean they earn their wage just like anyone else. You dont tip the guys at mcdonalds which for all intensive purposes is the same field as a pizza place and does the same job as a waitress. I'm at uni so I do part time at Subway and i've never once received a tip and I wouldnt expect one anyway. Hell after several hours of serving customers straight or cleaning peoples spilt drinks or food they threw on the floor I think I'd be entitled to a tip as much as the pizza guy but I'll never get one.

Closest I get to a tip is when once a day a customer might say keep the change if theres 5c or 10c left over in which case I just drop the money into the till rather than keeping it myself.

And if they make their living off tips perhaps they should find a better way to make money or the joint should be charging enough to adequately cover wages. Why they should get extra money for writing on a piece of paper a couple of food items I dont know. If someone is upset because their salary only covers the cost of petrol money to deliver the pizzas then why not get a job somewhere else instead of taking out your spite on customers whod rather not throw extra money your way. Unless youve done something beyond the call of duty you dont actually deserve the extra cash, i mean thats what the wage is for, so why youd feel you have the right to do whatever it is you do to their food is beyond me.

As above, Im not against tipping but I reserve the right not to be a tipper myself. It's not like I have money comming out of my ears either. as matt_hobbs05 pointed out but tipping isnt the norm here in australia except perhaps at a fancy resterant where you likely pay via credit card anyway.

Edited by Smigit

I work as a waiter at my fathers restaurant, and last week, I had a big table of 9 people, the bill came out to $248 with 8.625% tax. I would have included a $40 service charge but I didn't because I taught the guy would leave a big tip. Instead the guy leaves me a $16 tip. :angry:

That is bull****. How do you tip $16 when you have 9 big people eating and asking for **** every single minute. Whatever thats old.

Another thing is a lot of people work and depend on tips. You should tip waiters. It's not a easy job nor is it a good paying job but you should still consider tipping 15%

Another story... An family of 6 comes to the restaurant,they just make a BIG MESS when they eat. We sell Turkish food so, its big dishes with rice, salad, and your choice of kebabs on it. They will eat eat and ask for their bill, when the bill comes and they open up the book, their eyes just look like their going to pop out of their socket. After that, they'll pay, ask for change and then come back and won't even think about leaving a dollar tip. OK, but when I go to the table and clean it up, I'll see a huge ****ing mess on the floor, the table and on the chairs.

I don't tip them either. Why should I pay someone to do the job that they're already getting paid to do?

Because (in America) waiters and delivery guys make less money than is normal, sometimes below minimum wage. Tips are figured in and gives them a "normal" salary. If you didn't tip waitresses, they'd be bringing home $5 a hour.

Well as above in my post, I work in fast food and have the exact same situation in having to clean up peoples mess. Ive never heard of people tipping people in fast food chains like maccas ect who also have to deal with disgusting pigs nor do I see how its any easier a job. We get the quite measly wage and that covers the crud cleaning up and all that too. I just take it as being part of the job and what my salary covers.

Because (in America) waiters and delivery guys make less money than is normal, sometimes below minimum wage. Tips are figured in and gives them a "normal" salary. If you didn't tip waitresses, they'd be bringing home $5 a hour.
Isnt it high time someone stands up and does something then? If they are being underpaid on the assumption that people will make donations to cover the amount the employers are undercutting them then perhaps the laws dealing with minimum wages need to be addressed? It shouldnt be the customers duty or a decision on their conscious as to whether they will provide the extra money that the owner is pocketing for themselves. Sounds like a pretty crappy system if you ask me.

I recently moved to New Zealand, and I've never seen anyone tip anyone, waitresses, hairdressers, delivery guys.

Yea, no body tips anyone in New Zealand don't really know why minimum wage is pretty much $7 USD (10.25 NZD) p/hr

Well as above in my post, I work in fast food and have the exact same situation in having to clean up peoples mess. Ive never heard of people tipping people in fast food chains like maccas ect who also have to deal with disgusting pigs nor do I see how its any easier a job. We get the quite measly wage and that covers the crud cleaning up and all that too. I just take it as being part of the job and what my salary covers.

McDonald's is also a very low experience entry level job. Most (non-fast food) restaurants won't hire you unless you're 18, delivery guys certainly have to 18. It's a different level of job for different levels of experience and subsequently, different levels of pay. You are also guaranteed to make at least minimum wage and most McDonald's (I worked there for 3 years in high school) pay above that. Many entry level waitressing jobs make below minimum wage before tips.

I have never tipped a Pizza delivery guy ever in my whole life, nor seen anyone tip a pizza delivery guy.

Pizza delivered already is expensive some what like $15 per pizza?

What I do is if the bill is like $15 or so, I'll just give them a twenty and tell them to keep the change.

That is what I usually do, depending on the price of the order. I've never ever had anyone ask me to tip them though, it is usually considered rude.

Very true - tipping is expected and only a courtesy to the people who wait on you. Their wages are often a fraction of the minimum wage. It is unfair to say they should find work that pays adequately. They are doing the best they can and if you don't understand that, then you haven't been there.

I notice that people in the service and entertainment industry always tip well, usually more than usual. Cause they know what its like to bring home 250$ a week part-time and adding an extra $150 from tips.

People in computers/engineering/oil tip ok; they're really critical of service though. So you can pull big money out of them in tips if you bust your ass and make em happy. It's ALWAYS nice to get a dating couple at your table. The tips are usually pretty good cause Romeo's doin' his best ;)

The worst tables are university students (usually) because they're pompous pricks, loud, annoying, needy, and broke. Especially when you have an entire team/student group/etc. like 10+ people and they're trying to figure out who owes what at the end. Usually one poor sucker from the group pitches 60% of the bill then the rest simply "put in" and you're lucky if they even paid enough. Wad's of 5$ bills are really crappy to deal with. Sometimes you'll hit jackpot when one of them adds an extra 20 to appease the group and stop them from complaining and bitching about the bill. Then you've got 10+ people to clean up after so it's not even worth it sometimes.

It's not even like it's that much. 33.49 for your pizza and you're going to ask for the 1.51 in change from 35? What a dick. It's karma, though. If you skimp out all the time it'll come back to you.