[Soccer] Eidos Buy a Player For Real

THE company behind Championship Manager have become the first in Britain to own a footballer.

Eidos, who produce the computer game, signed defender Adam Garner, 22, and agreed to let him play for Conference South team Bedford Town.

Championship Manager will contribute towards his wages while any future transfer fee will be paid to his new owners.

Bedford chairman David Howell said: "A deal like this could become commonplace in lower league football and essentially become a lifeline for many.

"The financial strain is eased if clubs know that part of their wage bill is being covered by a third party.

"The incentive for the owner ? whether that is a company or a supporters' trust ? is the possibility of a pay day if their man is transferred.

"But there are also huge ramifications for the top of the game.

"Imagine if you own the next Wayne Rooney. Think of the marketing possibilities.

"The big clubs are already competing for the best youngsters both at home and abroad.

"Instead of just Manchester United and Chelsea fighting it out for signatures, it is just as conceivable that it will to be Manchester United, Chelsea and Tesco."

Garner is the first British player to be owned by a commercial brand.

He joins West Ham's Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, as well as a host of other Argentine youngsters, on the growing list of players who are not directly owned by the club they play for.

Liverpool are expecting to pay Kia Joorabchian's MSI company 50 per cent of the reported ?17million transfer fee for Mascherano, with the rest going to the player's other owners.

Premier League officials are looking at whether the move to bring Tevez and Mascherano to Upton Park breaches rules as clubs are not allowed to field players owned by a third party.

Until recently, third-party ownership of players was illegal. But the rules have been relaxed by FIFA and third-party ownership is common place in South America.

Dave Rutter of Championship Manager said: "We're supporters of football at all levels and we're delighted to help out in such a unique way.

"It certainly poses some interesting questions on the future of player transfers and while we're the first brand to own a player, I'm sure we won't be the last."

Garner, a former Oxford United player, will be unveiled to Bedford fans on Saturday before the home match against Farnborough Town. (The Sun)

Thats pretty crazy but a great idea for the lower league teams in Eng:yes::yes:

Third party ownership of players should be banned. The sticky Tevez and Mascherano deals to West Ham where starting to destroy the integrity of the league.

indeed, and if someone say like tesco who make more money than can be counted, they can price anyone out the transfer market and make the rediculous transfer fees even more stupid :p

Third party ownership of players should be banned. The sticky Tevez and Mascherano deals to West Ham where starting to destroy the integrity of the league.

I totally agree.

I bet the player cost Eidos hardly anything and when they get bored just let him sign for a club he wants for free.

Companys who buy and sell players is a really bad idea. It's just means company will pocket the money.

As far as i'm aware a club buys a player but do they get any money back when he gets sold?

I bet the player cost Eidos hardly anything and when they get bored just let him sign for a club he wants for free.

Companys who buy and sell players is a really bad idea. It's just means company will pocket the money.

As far as i'm aware a club buys a player but do they get any money back when he gets sold?

If the player is owned third party then the clubs probably wont get much...probably get only about 10% of the fee