Forcing Aero Glass Effect

before everyone flames me, I know it probley wont beale to work on this laptop but I wanna try to force it anyways.

I have an HP nc4010, video memory is only 32mb, I have heard of people being able to force Glass effect on 32mb video memory, so I just wanna know if anyone knows how to do this, I am running Vista Home Premium 30 day trial I dont want to activate unless it works

Your amount of vidoe memory isn't the important part. The important part is what your graphics card is and whether it has a WDDM driver. If not, the answer is a very simple "no." If it does have a WDDM driver, you can probably force Aero on by right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "personalize," and and clicking the first item "Color and appearance" or something. There, you should find a list of color schemes, including "Windows Aero."

However, if you don't have a WDDM/LDDM driver, you won't be able to run Aero. Simple as that.

• 1 month later...

post-208592-1174341831_thumb.jpg

There aren't any non-desktop composition themes yet.

YES THERS IS, I HAVE THE AERO EFFECT !! i have the most hated graphics card, intel 915gm (gma 900) without a wddm (cos there aint one) and 512mb

i have included a screenshot note that 1 box isnt transparrent this is because i havnt quite go to it in the registry! i also have the windows open and close just like in aero, (p.s notice on the bottom right window it is red, i done that through the registry, i also have the aero glass borders, dont know if you can see them on the screenshot, i would like to tell you how i done all this but its long and confusing, but i am almost there in cracking the computer for the real aero!! i can also force the computer to display a system rating of any number i want, i have it set at 6 at the moment, but all i will say for now is making your system rating higher will not enable aero, i have six, and no aero, and my dads comp has a rating of 1 with 512mb ram and has perfect aero, the only diffence is he has a wddm driver, and i know how to tell the computer it has a wddm driver however winsat then decides its found new hardware, and requires you to re evaluate the computer so that it can enable aero! but it dont work cos it picks up that there is no wddm driver and tells the computer it doesnt have a wddm, and stop aero from enabling. so once i have worked everything out, i will release a reg file that will automatically put the keys into the registry and enable aero upon your next restart!!

also one more thing copying reg keys from an aero enabled computer doesnt enable aero!! this is because of winsat, winsat has the aero enabled / disabled hidden somewhere but no in the registry, the registry will say default applied, whether the computer does aero or not, because the default is written in the computer by winsat, (if you get what i mean, if not basically in this case instead of the registry telling winsat what to do, winsat tells the registry what to do

Well you obvisioley know what you are doing so well done for progress you have made so far. I am sure we will all look forward to you showing us how to enable full aero on non-wddm cards (aka intel 915).

post-208592-1174341831_thumb.jpg

YES THERS IS, I HAVE THE AERO EFFECT !! i have the most hated graphics card, intel 915gm (gma 900) without a wddm (cos there aint one) and 512mb

i have included a screenshot note that 1 box isnt transparrent this is because i havnt quite go to it in the registry! i also have the windows open and close just like in aero, (p.s notice on the bottom right window it is red, i done that through the registry, i also have the aero glass borders, dont know if you can see them on the screenshot, i would like to tell you how i done all this but its long and confusing, but i am almost there in cracking the computer for the real aero!! i can also force the computer to display a system rating of any number i want, i have it set at 6 at the moment, but all i will say for now is making your system rating higher will not enable aero, i have six, and no aero, and my dads comp has a rating of 1 with 512mb ram and has perfect aero, the only diffence is he has a wddm driver, and i know how to tell the computer it has a wddm driver however winsat then decides its found new hardware, and requires you to re evaluate the computer so that it can enable aero! but it dont work cos it picks up that there is no wddm driver and tells the computer it doesnt have a wddm, and stop aero from enabling. so once i have worked everything out, i will release a reg file that will automatically put the keys into the registry and enable aero upon your next restart!!

also one more thing copying reg keys from an aero enabled computer doesnt enable aero!! this is because of winsat, winsat has the aero enabled / disabled hidden somewhere but no in the registry, the registry will say default applied, whether the computer does aero or not, because the default is written in the computer by winsat, (if you get what i mean, if not basically in this case instead of the registry telling winsat what to do, winsat tells the registry what to do

how then? ?my dads laptop has the 915 crap and hes jealous that i have aero and he doesn't, so how? r u able to do the flip windows? if not then u don't have aero.

...I HAVE THE AERO EFFECT !! i have the most hated graphics card, intel 915gm (gma 900) without a wddm (cos there aint one)...

Care to share? As far as I know, it is NOT possible. If you, indeed, do have full Aero effect on Vista with the Intel? 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)>, I (and MANY others on this board) would like to know how you did it. Unless that's XP with a WindowBlinds Vista theme your image shows. ;))

lol ya. vista basic is toooooooooooo basic. i saw someone holding it in the checkout line at the px and i should of smacked him upside the head.

how then? ?my dads laptop has the 915 crap and hes jealous that i have aero and he doesn't, so how? r u able to do the flip windows? if not then u don't have aero.

ill give you ?1,000,000 if you can show me where i said i had aero, !! if you look, i said i had the aero effect meaning the window transparency and the ways windows open and close, so no i dont have aero, and no my windows dont flip, but im working on it!! thats what im doing, i am just showing my progress!!!!

Well you obvisioley know what you are doing so well done for progress you have made so far. I am sure we will all look forward to you showing us how to enable full aero on non-wddm cards (aka intel 915).

so do i lol!!

Maybe a windowblinds theme for vista?

you keep telling yourself that! as i have said all im doing is trying to help, if you dont want my help then go away swimple as, im sure there are many people who are interested and would like to be updated with how i get on, and when i release the full thing of how to enable full aero

Care to share? As far as I know, it is NOT possible. If you, indeed, do have full Aero effect on Vista with the Intel? 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)>, I (and MANY others on this board) would like to know how you did it. Unless that's XP with a WindowBlinds Vista theme your image shows. ;))

take a look at the screenshot, does the one showing system properties rele look like its from xp??? NO? I DIDNT FINK SO

and right now as i said i dont care to share, because its really to long winded, which is why im gunna try and finish it and then possible release it,

and as i said i dont have full aero! just the transparency and the way inwhich the windows open and close,

anything else you want clearing up

... i said i had the aero effect meaning the window transparency and the ways windows open and close, so no i dont have aero...
...im sure there are many people who are interested and would like to be updated with how i get on, and when i release the full thing of how to enable full aero

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

what you Hmmmmmmmmmmmm'ing about?? if you got a problem then go

No problem. I'm genuinely curious. But you say you "don't have full aero", in the following sentence you say "when i release the full thing of how to enable full aero"

No problem. I'm genuinely curious. But you say you "don't have full aero", in the following sentence you say "when i release the full thing of how to enable full aero"

let me explain, right now i only have some of the effects of aero, (note that people without aero dont have any effects of aero) which means im on track to getting aero working fully and properly, and what i said was, when, and if i get aero fully working i will release it.

do you understand me now?

and before you say, i either have aero working or i dont, but im not enableing it the normal way because i cant because of winsat!! anyway im off now because im going home, where i dont have any internet ! (its in the middle of switching isp) so ill check bk in tommorrow with any progress if i have any!!

@okz19: In my opinion, what you have achieved looks nothing like the stated Windows Vista Aero effect. Instead of having the 'frosted glass' look of all the windows edges, you've changed the transparency level of the entire window. This not only makes the windows harder to read, but also slows your poor system down.

I should further add, that changing the Windows Experience Index to improve the look of your poor computer is just incredibly sad...