Convince me to upgrade to Windows Vista

I feel like I should be joining the Vista band wagon but not sure if I want to shell out the $ for the upgrade just yet. Maybe I should just wait, save up & buy a laptop with Vista pre-installed. But for those who are already using it, is it that much better than XP? What are the pros & cons about Vista compared to XP (which I've just gotten use to after all these years).

- Ability to view documents without opening them

- Ability to up the ram when needed or on the go

- It should be faster than XP

- I like it that my Documents are just that Documents... ull see if u upgrade.

Try rewording the title to get better responses.

You could also READ the billion reviews of Vista which are on the net and come to your own conclusions...

For the most part, my primary experience with Vista has been on a laptop that is not officially Vista Ready, and even more surprisingly isn't even 'Vista Capable'. I have a Toshiba A105-S101 Satellite- ATI Radeon 200M chipset. It's a Celeron M @ 1.6 GHz and has 1.25 GB RAM. It's a DX9 compliant chipset- shaders and all. It runs Vista quite well. Toshiba doesn't support it though, and ATI stopped shipping compliant Catalyst drivers just before Vista Beta RC2 came out. I'm pushing 128M ram for video. Aero runs rather nicely. Nothing seems to be any worse than it was with XP.

The 'Start' menu is quite different than XP's. Oddly, after using it a few days, people like it more than XP's. It doesn't take up wild screen space and require you to toss your mouse pointer out in order to catch the menu you are looking at.

The User Account Controls are a bit annoying, but once you realize they are there to help you catch things that should not be happening and make your computer more secure and less error prone, they become bearable.

I don't see any reason to not use Vista as long as the hardware supports it and you have no compelling reasons to stick with XP (proprietary software, games or the like).

Why the hell should we convince you? We dont care if you upgrade.

Convince yourself.

You saw fit to use Vista on two of your computers and you're not willing to recommend it to others?

BTW- how come you run x64 on one and x86 on the other one, even though the second will run x64?

You saw fit to use Vista on two of your computers and you're not willing to recommend it to others?

BTW- how come you run x64 on one and x86 on the other one, even though the second will run x64?

1. He didnt ask for reasons why, he told us to convince him, as if its something we should do for some reason,

2. No its not an x64 machine. 1.66GHz = Yonah core = no 64-bit. Learn your hardware son.

This is the 2nd time in 1Hr you have tried to correct me or try and point out something that i "should know" and you have been wrong.

I'm gonna sound like a real stick in the mud but...if you need to ask why you need to upgrade to Vista, perhaps you shouldn't? Vista is a great OS and is well worth the cash if you decide to take the plunge. However, if your current OS is serving you fine and does everything you need now then Vista won't really benefit you that much. To take full advantage of Vista (I think) you need to have current hardware that supports it features (i.e. having a Dx10 graphics card, hybrid HDD etc) that is not saying Vista doesn't run well on older hardware, just don't expect some of it's more advanced features to function on that said system. This is only what I think anyway, so take with a grain of salt.

1. He didnt ask for reasons why, he told us to convince him, as if its something we should do for some reason,

2. No its not an x64 machine. 1.66GHz = Yonah core = no 64-bit. Learn your hardware son.

This is the 2nd time in 1Hr you have tried to correct me or try and point out something that i "should know" and you have been wrong.

1. Well, one could argue that convincing is telling him why he should do it.

2. My apologies. I'm guess I'm a bit over-zealous and thought that most everything released after my Pentium D was EMT64 enabled. I do apologize again and hope you take no offense. Feel free to point out any of my errors you may come across. This is the point of learning and I will admit I don't know everything and at times assume things.

And if you don't know the difference between computer babble "AV" and Journalism "A/V", it's not my fault and doesn't mean I was wrong. It means you interpreted it wrong.

Edited by Agt. Smith

No real reason to yet.

LOL

OKAY! But get it and use it, get used to it!

Next year, when you upgrade your hardware, the OS is ready for it and you won't have to upgrade then.

Drivers are available, SP1 has been released resolving a lot of problems....

GO FOR IT NOW!

No real reason to yet.

I wouldn't say so. There are always reasons to go to the next updated version of an OS, even if not ALL of the reasons are apparent quite yet.

I say go for it because of the better memory management and overall performance boost (maybe not in all benchmarks, but when using your desktop). Aero just look "good" and better than what XP had to offer, and with it comes Flip 3D which I am using constantly now. Also, the search feature is a god send when it comes to launching programs. Just push the start key and type and press enter- no more dealing with the All Programs menu or shortcuts! Also, just search in general. Also, it's extremely stable. There is never a time I have to restart the computer because windows has locked up. If a program locks up, it is isolated and taken care of right away no problem whatsoever and it doesn't affect the entire operating system. Speech recognition works great and is a good tool to use for dictating documents etc. Faster hibernation and standby times, built in parental controls, better and easier networking. Built in Photo Gallery, and Calender (which I don't use). And the whole icon previews for album art, word documents, etc. works well and looks good.

It's a very polished operating system, and I would say it definately is better than XP in terms of being great right out of the gate. That doesn't mean there are shortcomings and that we all expected more out of it, but it is done well in all areas and is well rounded and builds on what XP has, and because of that it is a worthy upgrade that will make your daily life easier in ways XP just can't.

It looks nicer. Some people say it doesn't matter about the look. But when I want to go onto a computer, I want it to look nice. I feel more welcome. It's 2007. Don't we deserve to have an OS that looks nice? Is that such a crime?

That and instant search everywhere. That's one hell of a feature. When you have a long unorganised list of documents in your '[My] Documents', you can just type a keyword and it just like *that* the list is cut down to one. Great stuff.

And instant in the Start Menu. I don't know how I lived without it. Just press Win key and type 'Word' and press enter. Or 'Live' (for Windows Live Messenger), or 'CS3'. *Scoffs*.

post-22927-1171184004_thumb.png

1. DRM

Oh the joys of someone else confused by the DRM FUD...it only applies to HDDVD/BD, and if you're affected, it downscales to 480p.

I personally like Vista for it's luxury feel. I could not live without Aero on Vista. Vista Basic is fugly!!!

I can't convince you because I'm not convinced by myself yet. One thing is sure though, Vista will replace XP, end of the story.

Just wait for SP1, MS itself said that Vista was buggy and that they must hurry-up a SP1 ASAP.

Just think of the hours of fun you will have fighting with Vista to get it to work as well as XP does now ! LOL :laugh:

Yes, you should wait 6 months to a year, before taking the Vista plunge.

i january of 2009 windows XP will no longer be supported...... however vista will be obsolete

And by that time Linux is already a good desktop system, and more people will prolly support it, and more games will hopefully support *Nix