PowerDVD... for the Mac?

I use PowerDVD on my PC and love it's layout and the amount of file types it supports. Makes watching DVDs much more enjoyable. Is PowerDVD on the Mac or a program similar?

Isn't DVD Player in combination with Front Row (or without) sufficient? :huh: The next DVD Player part of Mac OS X Leopard is supposed to be undergoing a massive update according to rumour sites. iPhoto and Quick Look (part of Mac OS X Leopard) are the way to go when it comes to image viewing.

picture1wf9.png

Shouldn't this be in Mac Software Discussion & Help as we're discussing software?

Dam Dam Dam. I have too many tabs I was sure it was on software :( Mods please move :). OO I have never seen the Apple DVD Player--does that come with it? Windows needs a DVD codec.

osx comes with a lot of applications, this is one case where it really shines compared to windows, finding a dvd codec was a pain in the ass for my parents, when they got their mac they were expecting having to go through it again but they were pleased to learn they didnt need to

One would think that when laying down a few hundred euros for Windows you can at least use it to play DVDs straight from the box.

Oh well, maybe it's just me being crazy.

Yes it is you being crazy, thats like official windows apps not fully loaded with ads. Thats just crazy talk :)

Yes, I guess you're right... :( Already signing up with the Amsterdam Mental Institution for some shock therapy sessions. Those thoughts need to go away.

Windows Vista Ultimate can decode DVD's out of the box...

Yeah and the next version of Windows in 2010 or whatever will be on the cutting edge and be able to decode HD-DVDs... out of the box! :sleep:

Windows Vista Ultimate can decode DVD's out of the box...

Whoa so Microsoft finally decided to make the jump after what, five, six years? Good for them!

Do they offer the same to Home Basic through Business users? Or is it a Ultimate only thing?

Whoa so Microsoft finally decided to make the jump after what, five, six years? Good for them!

Do they offer the same to Home Basic through Business users? Or is it a Ultimate only thing?

God mac fanboys are the worst, it wasnt included in XP due to licensing issues, not because Microsoft is behind anything, Microsoft would have had to pay a fraction for the licence of each and every windows it sold.

God mac fanboys are the worst, it wasnt included in XP due to licensing issues, not because Microsoft is behind anything, Microsoft would have had to pay a fraction for the licence of each and every windows it sold.

So you tell me, how is it possible that Apple was able to ship a fully functional dvd encoder with Mac OS X?

As I see it, Microsoft didn't want to pay for the cost as many DVD drives come with a DVD decoder and thought they could save themselves some money. It even "hints" at that on their website.

Anyway, good for Mac! Can I be "naughty" and ask for a screenshot of the player playing a DVD to "get a feel" for it? Please. :).

OS X wont let you take a screenshot while DVD Player is running :p

I guess they are afraid someone will write up an applescript to take a screenshot of the window every so many times a second and then put it all back together in iMovie.

That isn't to say that there aren't screenshoting apps that can take screenshots while DVD Player is running. I use ScreenCaptureGUI 2 whenever I need to take a screenshot while a DVD is playing. Every other time I'll just use OS X to do the screenshot.

Here is a screenshot with DVD Player and ScreenCaptureGUI 2 running. You get your basic playback window and a little onscreen remote thingy to control it. You can also go full screen as well as use the Apple Remote to control DVD Player.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8672/sc...07172321ir2.png

scg022307172321ir2.png

As long as you have hardware rendering on you can't make screenshots of Windows Media Player running a video either. You would get this weird hole in Paint trough which you can see your desktop.