WRT54G and DD-WRT v23 SP2

Yup im running it on my WRT54G V6, how ever im forced to use the mini version because of memory limitations on the router but it has everything i want. Make sure u use the right files, if u have V6 u have to use the mini version. But im very happy with the DD-WRT firmware never had an issue with it. :)

I am using it too. So far there isn't any problem with my WRT54G V4.

But you got to flash it with the mini version first before going for the full version if you are using the same as mine. :)

Yes I would HIGHLY recommend you check out dd-wrt.. What version of wrt54g do you have.. If v4 or less or GL your good to go, if 5,6 your limited to what version you can run.

Yup im running it on my WRT54G V6, how ever im forced to use the mini version because of memory limitations on the router but it has everything i want. Make sure u use the right files, if u have V6 u have to use the mini version. But im very happy with the DD-WRT firmware never had an issue with it. :)

actually your running the micro edition.

I would suggest V23 SP3 with hte latest beta though, as it has more bug fixes in it. I've had an uptime of over 30 days with my router running a sp3 build.

Another Yay for DD-WRT. It is awesome running on my WRT54GL with 7 people on my network.

Tor Wired57 how does SP3 beta compare to SP2. Any major improvements?

HyperWRT isn't in development anymore is it? I switched from Hyper to DD-WRT and was very pleased. It is easier to configure certain things with DD-WRT, plus DD-WRT has a lot more useful features.

HyperWRT isn't in development anymore is it? I switched from Hyper to DD-WRT and was very pleased. It is easier to configure certain things with DD-WRT, plus DD-WRT has a lot more useful features.

can you name a few so i can get an idea.

I highly recommend DD-WRT firmware. I have a LinkSys WRT54G v2 router. You can find the older models on eBay.

Note for VOIP users lile Vonage :

1. use port forwarding to improve VOIP quality (http://vonage.com/help.php?article=89)

2. configure protocols like World of Warcraft, BitTorrent, FTP, NNTP, to BULK, so that downloads/uploads do not interfere with VOIP quality

3. use the medium-bandwidth protocol VOIP settings, not high

4. configure ports used by VOIP devices to PREMIUM, and all others to STANDARD. I VPN to my company network and had to configure my wireless adapter on my laptop to BULK since the VPN traffic ate a lot of my bandwidth

5. make sure your VOIP devices are not close to any electric components (router, cable modem, CRT) since electrical interference may cause signal issues

I noticed a huge improvement when I went to DD-WRT

TB

Just check out the docs for the almost endless list of what you can do with it.. I just put it on a fonera device this weekend --- that I got for FREE ;) GAWD I wish I would of had everyone I know get a FREE fonera when the special was running .. could have put up a full wireless mesh across the Neighborhood ;)

Again I would really suggest you check out the firmware.. just waiting for .24 to come out of beta -- allows for virtual wireless interfaces, so you could put up one for your private access, and allow for hotspot type access on the other, and then vlan which switch ports are connected to the different wireless interfaces and limit the access, etc.. etc...

The current firmware allows for RFLOW or remote NTOP as another feature.. like I said the feature list is almost endless -- you will be hard pressed to come up with something you would like to do -- that is not supported, or if not supported -- check the beta, most likely being worked on ;)

I give dd-wrt nothing but (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

I was openwrt all the way before they joined forces, etc.. now you have your cake and can eat it too -- plus extra frosting ;)

Sorry to be sour but I don't think anyone has actually read his question.

Yes the DD-WRT firmeware is great. But there is an issue regarding you wanting to restrict Ethernet Port speeds.

You can only do that on the ADM based chipsets. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and the WRT54GS v1.0.

So just be aware of that. If you don' have either of the above versions you can only do QOS based on service or MAC Address.

You can only do that on the ADM based chipsets. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and the WRT54GS v1.0.
Where did you read that at? Please post a link to your info.. Thanks!

edit: Well what do you know..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

NOTE: Ethernet Port Priority only works on older, ADM based, chipsets. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and the WRT54GS v1.0.

And I just tested it.. have a wrt54g v3.1

Set the ports to 256k Max rate.. and still getting like 7.46Mbits/sec using IPerf to a machine downstream of the wrt54g..

Good info -- but we are not sure what version he has.. and even still the firmware rocks.. but thanks for pointing out the details to his specific question!!

Edited by BudMan

will this firmware work on a WRT54GC?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Linksys (List of WRT54G versions and their hardware capabilities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g#Hardware_revisions))

* WRT54G v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.2, v3.0, v3.1, v4.0, v5.0 (2mb flash), v5.1 (2mb flash), v6.0 (2mb flash)

* WRT54GL v1.0, v1.1 (product search)

* WRT54GS v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.1, v3.0, v4.0, v5.0 (2mb flash), v5.1 (2mb flash), 6.0 (2mb flash)

* WRTSL54GS v1.0 (as of 2006-0630 nightly builds)

* WRT300N (as of v24 beta 2006-1210)

* WRT350N (as of v24 beta 2006-1212)

sorry!

Where did you read that at? Please post a link to your info.. Thanks!

edit: Well what do you know..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

NOTE: Ethernet Port Priority only works on older, ADM based, chipsets. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and the WRT54GS v1.0.

And I just tested it.. have a wrt54g v3.1

Set the ports to 256k Max rate.. and still getting like 7.46Mbits/sec using IPerf to a machine downstream of the wrt54g..

Good info -- but we are not sure what version he has.. and even still the firmware rocks.. but thanks for pointing out the details to his specific question!!

Thats OK. Just thought I'd better not let him become dissapointent with the firmware if he had tried it and it didn't do what he wanted.

The DD-WRT firmware is great and I didn't want that fact to be tarnished.