Broken Features and Annoyances in Vista

PLEASE READ THIS PART FIRST:

I posted this message in a support forum looking for answers to these issues, and maybe put compilation of issues from other members. Vista is certainly not perfect now, and I don't expect perfection. Just looking for ways to make Vista better and more easier to use for those MS left out in the redesign process. You might feel it is ranting, or complaining, you choose how you want to view this. In the end, what matters most is to find a solution. Contributions to fixes is always very appreciated, and "that's how it is, so just live with " doesn't lead to a better solution. Thanks in advance :)

I'll be editing this post with any solutions or options I might find too (underlined).

updated: 3-17-2007

================================================================================================

A list of things that I think MS didn't even finish testing, a screw up in the UI, or simply needs much more thought in design. (be cool if this was a wiki function that other users can update and add on) I'll try to add on stuff found by other users. You can pm/email me if I missed anything.

Windows explorer:

[1]Pulling down on the address bar give you a bunch of websites.
A bunch of FREAKIN websites! So let's try saving to the website... of course it doesn't work, so even put it there? Sure there's other ways to save, but having the address bar on top give you list of drives, desktop, etc on you computer is quick and efficient. It should at least compliment the new "breadcrumb" feature. Back in XP, he pulldown .

[2]Can't Customize the toolbar.
What happened to "Copy To", and "Move To" and "Undo"... etc. Can't Customize anymore?... what a loss (I hated Macs bc of this).

[Workaround] right now, it's the cut&paste or drag with right-click==>option to move or copy

[3]Drag and Drop hard to see.
While dragging items, it becomes this BIG thumbnail icon (which isn't that bad)... but Folder I'm dropping into is so lightly highlighted... and the BIG thumbnail icon I'm dragging is making it even harder to see where I'm dragging over! In XP, Drag and Drop: While dragging items... I see a clear version of exactly what I highlighted. Folder I'm dropping into is highlighted very Clearly.

[4] Focusing bug.
Selecting folder from folder_list on left, then boxing over some files/folders on right pane doesn't lose focus of folder from left pane. If you hit delete, it will attempt to delete folder instead of the files.

After reading some of the issues posted here, I went over to the past post over at

At first I thought it was a RC bug... but till I got to a post with the following instructions:

1. Click on a folder in the Folders list.

2. Click and hold the mouse button down on the white space next to a folder/file name in the details pane

(be sure to keep the mouse cursor inside the Name column), and then drag it out to select the other folders/files.

3. Note that the folders/files just selected don't gain focus (they get highlighted grey).

The folder name in the Folder list is still selected, so when I press the Delete key on my keyboard it asks to delete that folder.

YES, it can be reproduced everytime.

If you did accidentally deleted folder, you will not know right away because the folder doesn't refresh... So the user will still see the contents of the folder in front of them even thought the whole folder was deleted. AND what if it was a large file too big for recycle bin....? Your Hosed!

[5] Classic explore option doesn't give you "classic" folders.

[bug] Organize ==> Folder and Search Options ==> Use windows classic folders... Doesn't do anything. Still have the compulsive "Favorites Links" on the left. I option for "Windows Classic" and if it didn't do that, then there shouldn't be that misleading option.

[6]
Test copying from XP of the english MUI file for Vista over network (to xp and server 2003)... average 8MB/s (size over time) (to mac ~9MB/s) Vista averaged ~5MB/sec from xp and server 2003

[Option/Solution] By

Windows Backup

[1]Full backup only for more expensive versions.
All windows versions were given he ability for full system backup. It wasn't great, but it still works if you use it. It's file based and works just as well as the current backup.

[2]File backup will not let you choose your own files and/or folders.
This is such a bogus backup. Stripping users of the functions they use to have to justify upgrading your windows license. Besides, how can you trust a computer to know what you really want to back up. Why would you even want to take a chance.

Power Control:

[1] No "ASK ME WHAT TO DO" option, and no confirmation on shutdown.
VISTA doesn't give you a confirmation if you are shutting down. Will will ask if files are unsaved and open, but not for website, or if you in the middle of transfering files. Surely cannot be a usability issue, given it's OK to give a user a zillion UAC prompts, when just being able to prompt for shutdown options would be least trivial of them all. All buttons have to be assigned specific function or non-function. Forces users to remember what they assigned. (people in hurry can be forgetful) There's no text written on the "power" button in start menu... so can you be sure everytime, what about if somebody else uses computer? designed for average users? hmm.

THe "ask me what to do" option is usefull just in case kids or accidental pushing power.

[2]The new power control UI buries everything.
Try coming up with the steps for somebody to change the default action of the power button on the start menu (it's defaulted in sleep) Advanced power controls should be right at the left panel as soon as you go to power control. MS think people are too stupid to know how they want to turn off their computer, but you expect them to judge all those UAC prompts!

MISC UI functions

[1] Display Properties UI is unfinished!
Only the theme and wallpaper function has been changed. All the others are a same as XP, but just put in separate windows (they even forgot the remove the tab! geez, how lazy can you get!)

[2] The 3D flip function
looks pretty cool in Aero mode, but isn't very useful because you can't see the whole window in front of you to choose from. It's just a big GIMMICK! Apple's Expose is much more functional. Yeah, and anybody could of "guessed" the HOTKEY for it was the "window key"+Tab. The tiles are too bunched up. Get with the game MS.. if you going to "copy" at least make it better or equal.

[Option/Solution]

[3][broken/Bug]The Weather function in the sidebar doesn't work when I use the MUI in Chinese.
The UI is all done, but doesn't recognize any input. It can't find any location at all (yes i tried china and even tried to type it in chinese). Works find in english MUI. Just have to download another weather and it works.

[4]Compulsive backup and restore center.
Open control panel from start menu, you don't get the icon in the recent used programs but but why does it always show the backup and restore center? Won't kill me, but it adds to the frustrations of loosing control of you computer. Like somebody always coming to your room and moving stuff around!

[4]Taskbar locking should lock.
The quick launch Icons should lock when you lock the taskbar. Sure XP wasn't like that, but the 3D flip icon and the show desktop icon keeps getting bullied around by other programs. Keep it clean there!

Would Like to See and have........

[1] Customize keys for volume control, brightness... programs.. etc.
Not every computer comes with special keys for these controls you know!! Plus, there's plenty of unused function keys.

[2] Brightness Control on the taskbar (next to volume)
would be nice able to control brightness remotely, especially on the Media Center.

I feel MS is trying everything in the book for UI improvements but as an engineer I like the KISS concept (Keep It Simple & Stupid)

I'm a big fan of change and advances... but there are some functions that are already fine and dandy and could have been carried over easily without conflicting the new functions at all.

what about you guys out there?

If anybody Has a fix to these annoyances it would be great :D

Similar Topics by others:

Most Annoying things in Vista

It's not a but, It's a feature!

Edited by nevets

1) Windows explorer:

XP: The pulldown address bar on top will give you list of drives, desktop, etc on you computer.

VISTA: Pulling down on the address bar give you a bunch of FREAKIN websites! Even when I try to save a file!

But... there's a breadcrumb bar now. Why would you ever click that down-arrow anyway? Click the down-arrow at the left of the address bar, not the one at the right. Way better than XP, though I agree having that drop-down on the right is superfluous.

(MS thinks you never need to shut off you computer.. and sleep still uses power

and keeps the fan running on my desktop!)

Your fans keep running when its asleep? That doesn't sound right. But anyway, most people don't turn off their desktops, or can just do it by pressing the power button. On a laptop you probably want it to sleep for 3 hours or so and then go into hibernate mode. That's what mine does and it works great.

3)TOUCHPAD

XP: Had default scrolling (even without drivers)

VISTA: No scrolling effect on Touchpad (ok as long as there's drivers to fix)

That's not true. XP doesn't do anything to support scrolling on your touchpad. You probably had a driver that came from your OEM, or one from windows update that provided that functionality.

5)I still haven't got to see how well the SLEEP works. My iBOOK G4 sleeps pretty good for a whole week and only about 50% used battery from a full charge.

Is that a complaint against Vista? I've been very impressed with Vista's power management, especially on my MacBook. It was more problematic on my Toshiba tablet just because the ****** nvidia driver crashes everytime the system resumes, causing it to hang for a minute while the driver restarts. But that's nvidia's problem.

6)Speaking of comparing to apples: the "Switch Between Windows" function looks pretty cool in Aero mode, but isn't very useful because you can't see the whole window in front of you to choose from. It's just a big GIMMICK! Apple's Expose is much more functional. Yeah, and anybody could of "guessed" the HOTKEY for it was the "window key"+Tab. The tiles are too bunched up. Get with the game MS.. if you going to "copy" at least make it better or equal.

To each their own. I prefer Flip3D, especially when you have more than 4 or so windows open... I can actually see them at a reasonable size. With Expose they're just too small. Might as well be using Alt+Tab.

XP: Drag and Drop: While dragging items... I see a clear version of exactly what I highlighted. Folder I'm dropping into is highlighted very Clearly.

VISTA: While dragging items, it becomes this BIG thumbnail icon (which isn't that bad)... but Folder I'm dropping into is so lightly highlighted... and the

BIG thumbnail icon I'm dragging is making it even harder to see where I'm dragging over!

AMEN

1) Windows explorer:

XP: Allowed customization of Menu toolbar/icons. Such as adding: "Copy To", and "Move To" and "Undo"... etc.

VISTA: Everything is IE like... Can't Customize... period. (sure you can drag and drop.... which leads to my next complaint)

This is my BIGGEST gripe with Vista. I have always added a 'Delete' icon to the icon bar in Windows Explorer the minute I use any PC. It is SOOOOOO bloody frustrating having to either hit the delete key on the keyboard, or having to perform a right mouse click, then hunt the delete command in the menu, and then make another click, just to delete a file!

REALLY Microsoft, please add some sort of customisation in the next Service Pack, PLEASE!

1) Windows explorer:

XP: Drag and Drop: While dragging items... I see a clear version of exactly what I highlighted. Folder I'm dropping into is highlighted very Clearly.

VISTA: While dragging items, it becomes this BIG thumbnail icon (which isn't that bad)... but Folder I'm dropping into is so lightly highlighted... and the

BIG thumbnail icon I'm dragging is making it even harder to see where I'm dragging over!

I'm in complete agreement with this one.

1) Windows explorer:

XP: The pulldown address bar on top will give you list of drives, desktop, etc on you computer.

VISTA: Pulling down on the address bar give you a bunch of FREAKIN websites! Even when I try to save a file!

instead of click on the drop down arrow, click on the > arrow that divide the directories, you will see disks, directories, etc...

2)Power Control:

XP: Allowed customization of Menu toolbar/icons. Such as adding: "Copy To", and "Move To" and "Undo"... etc.

VISTA: Everything is IE like... Can't Customize... period. (sure you can drag and drop.... which leads to my next complaint)

instead of using the left click when drag and drop, use the right one, when you release the mouse button, will ask you if copy or move.

2)Power Control:

i don't have such problem, do you use list view, or what? i've all middle size icons, and when i move stuff over i can clearly see where i'm putting them...

2)Power Control:

XP: Option to "ASK ME WHAT TO DO" can be programed to the power button... just in case kids or accidental pushing power.

CONFIRMATION if shutting down.

VISTA: NO OPTION to "ASK ME" before it takes any action! Can only imagine mousing over the power button and hitting it on accident... them BAM...

NO CONFIRMATION... goes to sleep or worse.. shut down... (MS thinks you never need to shut off you computer.. and sleep still uses power

and keeps the fan running on my desktop!)

go in the advanced configuration of the profile you are using, the option is there...

3)TOUCHPAD

XP: Had default scrolling (even without drivers)

VISTA: No scrolling effect on Touchpad (ok as long as there's drivers to fix)

Synaptic touchpad drivers version 9.10 for vista are out for a couple of months now, you can just install them and configure the scroll as was on xp

4)STILL NO KEYBOARD CUSTOMIZATION.... customize keys for volume control, brightness... programs.. etc. Not every computer comes with special keys for these controls you know!!

well, not vista fault on this... you can create keyboard shortcuts for the programs, not sure for the volume control/brightness.. i think all the laptops have these 2 functions, as keys or as Fn+keys...

5)I still haven't got to see how well the SLEEP works. My iBOOK G4 sleeps pretty good for a whole week and only about 50% used battery from a full charge.

the "Switch Between Windows" function looks pretty cool in Aero mode, but isn't very useful because you can't see the whole window in front of you to choose from. It's just a big GIMMICK! Apple's Expose is much more functional. Yeah, and anybody could of "guessed" the HOTKEY for it was the "window key"+Tab. The tiles are too bunched up. Get with the game MS.. if you going to "copy" at least make it better or equal.

this seems just another free ranting from an apple user... anyway...

in Vista you have Win+Tab or Alt+Tab. if you install Intellipoint, the middle click is another way to get the lists, with preview and titles.

Edited by AlexMagik

Expose is rubbish for regular use, because the windows are always in a different position every time you use it. Flip3d has the same powerfulness of the popular alt-tab, but with the large rich thumbnails.

AMEN

Amen!

And not only drag and drop... sometimes when I right-click a file to see its properties I'm actually seing the folder's properties, because apparently the file wasn't highlighted...

My biggest gripe about Explorer: When moving (actually "merging") a folder into another folder of the same name, the original folder is not deleted; the empty folder and any empty subfolders are left in place. This is contrary to the expected action (well, at least it's contrary to what has been the expected action for the last 10+ years on Windows). I've also accidentally deleted a folder because, for some odd reason, Windows Explorer will now actually allow you to select in both the folder pane AND the file pane at the same time! Not sure if that is supposed to be a "feature" or if it is truly a bug though. Either way it is damned annoying!!

But... there's a breadcrumb bar now. Why would you ever click that down-arrow anyway? Click the down-arrow at the left of the address bar, not the one at the right.

Why? Because that is the way it has been done for the last few years and it is what people have come to expect. Radical shifts in the user interface are confusing and annoying to people who have gotten used to the way things have worked for as long as they can remember.

^^ And that meens if you got used to light with a candle, you'll never use a torch with batteries just because it is so different and confusing?

Not at all what I meant. Brandon Live asked why someone would click the down arrow at the right of the address bar to access previous folders. I pointed out that people are used to clicking on that one because that is what Windows has used for many years (back to Windows 98 at least, possibly Windows 95). Making a radical change in the expected actions of buttons does tend to confuse users, and Microsoft should know this (they claim to do all kinds of usability studies). What would you say if they changed the default action of the close button to hide the window instead of closing the application (this is certainly not unheard of, even in some Microsoft programs)? Do you not think that would confuse people who had been using Windows for years?

I never said that I'd never use Explorer because of these annoyances, where did you get that idea? I'd just like it if Microsoft kept some consistancy between releases in things that I use every single day, many times a day.

Three other gripes: 1. It's not possible (at least as far as I can find) to get rid of the "Favorite Links" area of the folder pane. I don't use it and it just wastes space for me. 2. Explorer does not keep my folder view settings very well. I'm constantly having to change back to list view from whatever view Explorer wants (usually icon view). 3. Explorer still shows the details headers when in list view. Yes, you can manually remove them (on a per-folder basis), but that also removes them in detail view!

Three other gripes: 1. It's not possible (at least as far as I can find) to get rid of the "Favorite Links" area of the folder pane. I don't use it and it just wastes space for me.

It's possible , just delete the links folder in users\yourusername\ , you can also add whatever you like there too.

My gripe is for the picture viewer , it keeps opening a new window for every image i click, is there any tweak to make it reuse the existing window ? I don't want nor need 50 picture viewer windows open

The biggest broken feature for me is that I can't add features. The box that lists features to add/remove shows up blank now. Under "Problem Reports and Solutions" I find some error about WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2, but of course there is no known solution.

vistafeatures_sm.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Here's to fix them, Shut up and format your hard drive with XP and if your smart enough you could have googled "Make Windows Vista act like XP" Or you could have downloaded Tweakvista.

Just because they don't suite you doesn't mean other people find these useful, Microsoft made these changes to help the ease of clicking millions of times just to get to a folder. Most of the changes was requested by Beta testers and has been requested for sometime.

My biggest gripe about Explorer: When moving (actually "merging") a folder into another folder of the same name, the original folder is not deleted; the empty folder and any empty subfolders are left in place. This is contrary to the expected action (well, at least it's contrary to what has been the expected action for the last 10+ years on Windows).

The "merging" was in this way also on XP, and if i don't remember wrong, also on 2000...

if the folders have the same name, they get merged (read the window, it's tell clearly "MERGING" when it asks you if you are sure).

The subfolders and contents are left intacted, no deletions, only add/replace.

I've also accidentally deleted a folder because, for some odd reason, Windows Explorer will now actually allow you to select in both the folder pane AND the file pane at the same time! Not sure if that is supposed to be a "feature" or if it is truly a bug though. Either way it is damned annoying!!

Sorry, this sounds b.s. you can't select from 2 different windows and press "del" or move both of them to the bin.. you can move only 1 of the 2, the front one...

i ahd the issue with sleep still leaving fans etc on because i had set the away mode thing in media centre, after i turned that off sleep acted as normal

Thread Title Changed

Although I understand you are frustrated, No need for the Caps Lock.

DL

<Snip of somewhat-childish ranting>

Does the phrase "ADAPT OR DIE" mean anything to you?.

I swear, these rants against Vista are become more and more anal-nee-fanboyish each day.

--ScottKin

The "merging" was in this way also on XP, and if i don't remember wrong, also on 2000...

if the folders have the same name, they get merged (read the window, it's tell clearly "MERGING" when it asks you if you are sure).

Sorry, this sounds b.s. you can't select from 2 different windows and press "del" or move both of them to the bin.. you can move only 1 of the 2, the front one...

Yeah, at that point I was wondering who was going to pick up on that first - you beat me to it.

--ScottKin

When dragging, if you hover over the folders for a second, it will tell you the name of the folders you hover the file over. I also think it changing to a huge icon is stupid as well but it really isnt a big deal.

Agree on #1. To add:

-No 'Play All' for Video folders

-No 'Up' folder icon

-No selection list for NTBackup

-VPN Organization (No 'Connect to' flyout)

I also really don't like how IE won't default (to my knowledge) to folder view for FTP.

Edited by Dashel

Sounds more like this guy just doesn't know how to use the changes in Vista

and my touchbad scrolling work fine in Vista w/o special drivers.(on 3 different laptops. Dell, MSI and HP)

You are missing my point. Try it. The folder you are moving FROM should be deleted if you are moving it, but it isn't, it stays there.

I'm telling you that it has happened. You need to learn to read, I never said anything about two different windows. I said the folder and file panes in a single Explorer window.
I could be wrong, but I think roadwarrior's describing this bug: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...507187&st=0

Yep, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for that, I had never seen that thread before.

You are missing my point. Try it. The folder you are moving FROM should be deleted if you are moving it, but it isn't, it stays there.

Sounds like you are copying, not moving. If you were moving, the source would be deleted after the merge.

I'm telling you that it has happened. You need to learn to read, I never said anything about two different windows. I said the folder and file panes in a single Explorer window.

There is a rare bug where people who use the folder tree (rare) and then multiselect in the list view by clicking on the background and dragging the selection over a few items (without ever clicking on one) can end up with the UI focus still back in the folder tree and not on the newly selected items. However if you then press "delete" or something the dialog that comes up will tell you you're trying to delete the folder (that you selected in the tree view).