Broken Features and Annoyances in Vista

Sometimes windows don't appear in Flip3D, but I don't know if that's a problem with Windows or certain applications. It mostly happens with WLM.

My biggest annoyance though is the breadcrumb path-bar thing; there's no delay in the drop-down menu appearing when selecting different things in it so when you move your mouse across another "crumb" to get to an option in the drop down menu the next one is displayed. I'm using a touchpad on a laptop so vertical movement isn't natural and I drag my cursor down and to the right when selecting a lower in a drop-down menu, which means it's common to cross the path of another "crumb" in the bar.

A delay of a couple of ms will probably fix this. Perhaps there's a registry edit somebody knows of?

I am not sure if this is a Vista bug or a media player bug when I'm listening to something and I push the X to close Media player it disappears but music is still playing. Has anyone experienced this?

Mate thats the most ridiculous comment I've read on Neowin.

Even though something is rarely used I still want it to look the same as the rest of the O/S.

Imagine if Microsoft adopted your theory. We would have traces of Win 95, 98, Me, 2000 and XP all through Vista.

So you'd prefer Microsoft spent their time updating code that no-one sees rather than improving the rest of Vista? When was the last time you or anybody actually came across that dialogue in normal usgae of Windows? Everyone just copies the files to the fonts folder.

Welcome to the real world.

I only have two problems with Vista but I still think Vista is a nice improvement over XP overall.

Not able to customize Aero's highlight colour can be annoying most of the time and somehow the lack of animated GIF support with the picture viewer makes me miss Fax and Picture viewer.

I am not sure if this is a Vista bug or a media player bug when I'm listening to something and I push the X to close Media player it disappears but music is still playing. Has anyone experienced this?

Do you have a WMP gadget or anything else that could be holding wmplayer open?

had this happen yesterday, check your task manager i found it was still in memory even tho it was closed (not on task bar or in tray)

I have no other plugins or gadgets installed....WMP just likes our music too much I guess :rofl:

UAC breaks a lot of things, especially certain installations.

Also it's really annoying and acts stupid example:

If you install Everest and you set your temperature and other info to show up as taskbar icons, and you set Everest to run at startup; Everytime you reboot system Everest gets blocked by UAC, and then you have to manually unblock it. There is no option to allow it in the future....

UAC ruins user experience, and smoothness of using the system. It pop ups like crazy and doesn't really protect you because you click continue anyway. Also it was said that prevents malicious code from execution...heck that's antivirus job to do it.

That's Everest developer's fault you ****.

Why? Because that is the way it has been done for the last few years and it is what people have come to expect. Radical shifts in the user interface are confusing and annoying to people who have gotten used to the way things have worked for as long as they can remember.

I also found this annoying initially, but after some use the breadcrumb navigation is one of the few things actually good in Vista. It's easy to navigate to any part of the directory by clicking on just the name (been using this in Xplorer2 for awhile).

Why? Because that is the way it has been done for the last few years and it is what people have come to expect. Radical shifts in the user interface are confusing and annoying to people who have gotten used to the way things have worked for as long as they can remember.

People also got used to MS Dos. Doesnt mean they shouldnt change it.

Crikes! It's getting pretty heated up in here.

It's all good as long a peeps keep voicing their thoughts and concerns :D

btw

sweet avatar. Is that one of those that got them Boston folks all berserk? :woot:

SPEAKING of games,

has anyone experience prompts in the middle of their games? (ATI's control panel use to do that when you use a game with lower resolution than you screen.. but that can be quickly and permanently turned off)

Well, guess if there is, that would be up to the game coders to patch up.

I am in the middle of switching to Vista (from OSX.4) and I noticed these weird things,

1. If I increase system DPI to 120 then the start menu Power/Logoff buttons get clipped off the menu!

2. Flip and Flip3D show two different sets of windows. Flip3D shows all windows including dialog boxes whereas Flip shows only open windows I think

3. When I moved over my music library, vista (explorer & wmp11) failed to read some MP3 tags properly yet these tag work just fine under xp.

4. Brandon this is for you :p - After I finished copying my music library (~2000/20gb), my machine was not usable for close to 2 hours :o I figured it was either WMP or the Search Index as my HDD thrashing was wau louder than usual.

Not sure why, and don't really care too but when I play videos in the Photo Gallery and Media Center most of my XviD movies play upside down. Quite annoying, but doesn't bother me a I use MPC for everything.

I am in the middle of switching to Vista (from OSX.4) and I noticed these weird things,

1. If I increase system DPI to 120 then the start menu Power/Logoff buttons get clipped off the menu!

2. Flip and Flip3D show two different sets of windows. Flip3D shows all windows including dialog boxes whereas Flip shows only open windows I think

3. When I moved over my music library, vista (explorer & wmp11) failed to read some MP3 tags properly yet these tag work just fine under xp.

4. Brandon this is for you :p - After I finished copying my music library (~2000/20gb), my machine was not usable for close to 2 hours :o I figured it was either WMP or the Search Index as my HDD thrashing was wau louder than usual.

The DPI works ok here. I'm using 144dpi on my uxga LCD., The new DPI implementations is major improvement over the past windows. Borders are not oversized and text are actually sized up and clear.

My guess is it's WMP. As back in WMP10 It also took forever for WMP10 to go through my 5K music. The only thing I did like about it is that it keeps track of the location of songs if I moved it from folder to folder sorting it out. But soon gave up from the constant crashes. WinAmp didn't do either. I use TTplayer now just to play my 20K songs and it take less than a minute from the time I drop the folder in for indexing (.

The new clear slider bar on WMP11 is one of the best UI improvements to the player. I've yet to find another... but we'll see

There you go,

post-62693-1172445950.png

I can consistently reproduce this at 100 DPI setting (104%). I can't believe they missed this. :unsure:

For every day that goes, my frustration with Vista is increasing. :no:

Here is something I just discovered.

I created a folder then set it as hidden. I had the box unchecked to allow me to view hidden system files so once I made it hidden the folder lightned in color. I went into tools > folder options > view tab and checked the box so I wouldn't be able to view it. Hit okay, refreshed the window and the folder disappeared. Then I went back and unchecked the box so I should have been allowed to view it, it's not showing up. I should be able to view the hidden folder since the box to view system hidden files/folders is unchecked...

The only way I was able to recover the folder was go to cmd and run "attrib c:\name of folder -r -a -s -h and the folder was visible once again. Can anyone recreate this?

Edited by koolzero

Theres not less than two bugs when uploading an existing file to a FTP folder:

1. The old replace file dialog appears

2. The "calculating time required to upload files" dialog will appear over the replace dialog.

The 2nd one is really annoying.

There you go,

post-62693-1172445950.png

I can consistently reproduce this at 100 DPI setting (104%). I can't believe they missed this. :unsure:

For every day that goes, my frustration with Vista is increasing. :no:

Just reproduced it.. another lack of attention to detail. I doubt it will be fixed at all (just like they never bothered to fix the DPI settings on XP)

Guess for now, to keep your sanity, try a different DPI :/

120DPI will work fine if your ok with a slightly larger font/icons etc.

AND for those who think the argument that "would you rather they spend more time on these little useless details and less time on important ones?" is a valid one.. WELL I totally disagree with it! It's lack of attention, and care and abuse of monopoly power. Look back at the days of the Big 3 automotive company, and you will understand that this type of excuse is not acceptable for such a large and resourceful corporation.

AND for those who think the argument that "would you rather they spend more time on these little useless details and less time on important ones?" is a valid one.. WELL I totally disagree with it! It's lack of attention, and care and abuse of monopoly power. Look back at the days of the Big 3 automotive company, and you will understand that this type of excuse is not acceptable for such a large and resourceful corporation.

Right, and Ford, GM and Chrysler have never released a car to the market with no problems or recalls.

Right, and Ford, GM and Chrysler have never released a car to the market with no problems or recalls.

That's exactly my point.... The BIG 3 auto had loads of problems back then and didn't bother to really solve the problems. Now with all the competition from the Japanese and Europeans.... the BIG 3 are finally trying to get their act together and produce cars and trucks that are more complete. It took a lot of hacking and viruses to get MS's act together.... when they should have just done it in their own will.

You don't see MS doing recalls or even take responsibility for of lost of business due to badly written codes. If a car company had a bad fuel filter that caused extra 10% in fuel consumption for a big company... they probably get sued for profit lost.

Car companies spend enormous amounts of money to test their products, and the profit returns are very small, even loss for every car. MS on the other can is almost 80% profit (take away the loss in xbox and they make over 90% as profit). How about spending a little more on testing?

Look at companies like BOSCH. For some companies... quality is their main priority, and MS can certainly do much better if they want to.

Car companies spend enormous amounts of money to test their products, and the profit returns are very small, even loss for every car. MS on the other can is almost 80% profit (take away the loss in xbox and they make over 90% as profit). How about spending a little more on testing?

Look at companies like BOSCH. For some companies... quality is their main priority, and MS can certainly do much better if they want to.

MS obviously rather has the beta testers doing all the testing, as they do it for free, just to get a glimpse at the new OS.

Imagine a car company doing that:

"You can test drive our new car model, for free! It still has many flaws, so you'll likely have some accidents. Please file a report for every accident you have so we know what we need to improve."

No sane person would want to do that, much less when getting no money for it.

MS obviously rather has the beta testers doing all the testing, as they do it for free, just to get a glimpse at the new OS.

Imagine a car company doing that:

"You can test drive our new car model, for free! It still has many flaws, so you'll likely have some accidents. Please file a report for every accident you have so we know what we need to improve."

No sane person would want to do that, much less when getting no money for it.

Comparing an OS to a car is a crazy idea, much less the idea of comparing 'betas'. They are very, very different. You can model a car to see how it acts. A car is far simpler than an OS. At all stages of development there are major differences.

If people had the opportunity to drive a concept car, they would leap at the chance.

I dont like the way the O/S tells you to **** off when it locks up. On Xp at least you stood a chance of getting up the task manager. But Vista almost blocks you from doing so. With a rouge programme, nothing works, not even ctrl alt del. This was one of the many reasons why I will be using XP for the future. Not worth the money.

I dont like the way the O/S tells you to **** off when it locks up. On Xp at least you stood a chance of getting up the task manager. But Vista almost blocks you from doing so. With a rouge programme, nothing works, not even ctrl alt del. This was one of the many reasons why I will be using XP for the future. Not worth the money.

Vista's only telling you to **** off in your head. If you experience other voices telling you to **** off seek help ASAP... :wacko:

Vista's behaviour with crashes and task manager has very little difference from XP

Device Manager does not seem to want to launch from the System Properties anymore. Can't seem to find a fix. Re-enabled all my services to the windows default and turned on UAC, and it still doesn't seem to want to work.

Not sure what you mean... sounds like you're having a hardware or driver problem? There should be no circumstance where a hung user app will cause ctrl+alt+del to not work.