Broken Features and Annoyances in Vista

Lawliet
They have just removed the DDE options because DDE is obsolete:

"Please feel free to stop using DDE

DDE has been dead as a shell interface for over ten years:" http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...26/1763683.aspx

The other options are avaible in other places.

Regarding DDE, fair enough. Where are these other places? Mind pointing out to one who needs more knowledge? Don't tell me to look out in the registry. You've said I'm not "knowledgeable" enough for that.

Fozzieb

For me it is the login screen for domains, on xp just click the drop down box and select the domain you want.

In Vista, in the USERNAME box type the domain name\then user name to login to that domain

pain in the a*se

Aero Ultimate
Regarding DDE, fair enough. Where are these other places? Mind pointing out to one who needs more knowledge? Don't tell me to look out in the registry. You've said I'm not "knowledgeable" enough for that.

Yes, Dde was useless, but what about the other things? How do you set the other actions besides "open" (edit, print etc.) for an extension? How do you set a costum icon for an extension?

franzon
Yes, Dde was useless, but what about the other things? How do you set the other actions besides "open" (edit, print etc.) for an extension?

open, edit, print are replaced with an unique "open with".

example: if you want edit an html file then select open with and select your html editor

How do you set a costum icon for an extension?

already explained above: When you associate a file-type to a program, the file-type's icon is automatically changed with the program's icon

Edited by franzon
Aero Ultimate
if you want edit an html file then select open with and select your html editor

Not a good idea, as I want to open files by default with my browser and not my Html editor. I only want to use my Html editor to edit Html files, i.e. right-clicking on them and selecting "Edit".

already explained above: When you associate a file-type to a program, the icon is automatically changed with the icon's program

That is no answer to my question. I want to set a custom icon for the extension, not the one that is automatically assigned to it.

Edited by Aero Ultimate
franzon
Not a good idea, as I want to open files by default with my browser and not my Html editor.

HTML files are always opened with your browser and with "Open With" you can edit HTML files without changing the association.

That is no answer to my question. I want to set a costum icon for the extension, not the one that is automatically assigned to it.

for security reasons, an icon for the extension must match with the program's icon associated.

Edited by franzon
raskren
Not a good idea, as I want to open files by default with my browser and not my Html editor. I only want to use my Html editor to edit Html files, i.e. right-clicking on them and selecting "Edit".

That is no answer to my question. I want to set a costum icon for the extension, not the one that is automatically assigned to it.

Firefox 2.0 now automatically spell checks and underlines mis-spelled words. How does someone put emphasis on a word so badly malformed and think it is OK?

Are you trying to say custom or costume?

Aero Ultimate
HTML files are always opened with your browser and with "Open With" you can edit HTML files without changing the association.

Using the "Open with" menu is more longwinded than simply using Edit though. Don't they have any people testing things for ease of use? :pinch:

Also, when using the "Open with" menu, how do I tell an application that I want to print a document? Some applications supported printing a document without having to launch the full app, but I guess that won't work with Vista anymore?

for security reasons, an icon for the extension must match with the program's icon associated.

Ah, so they force you to keep the icon that comes with the program now? That's?sick!?:x:x

It's especially bad for programs where the authors were either too lazy or too incapable to provide proper icons. An example would be the newest Adobe apps - the "icon" for the new Photoshop consists of the letters "Ps". Honestly, I'm not making this up!

Yet another thing that was dumbed down in Vista for no good reaso:pinch:h: ?

(besides other things, like you're not allowed to customize the Explorer bar anymore)

solardog

The whole interface on how you navigate folders feels incredibly awkward and unintuitive. When I first got vista it frustrated the hell out of me, but I figured Id get used to it...I havent. I know for a fact that a hell of a lot of people are going to have problems with this. Im talking normal everyday people...not the people here.

The UAC is a HUGE problem. Im sorry but this is another thing that normal, everyday people are gonna be incredibly confused and/or annoyed by. The average user is not going to know about right clicking to run as administrator and the obnoxiuos way Vista shoves itself in your face. Its a major flaw IMO. Again Im thinking of the normal person that never go to sites like this.

I told my brother to avoid Vista as its gonna kill productivity at his business. How could it not? Between the UAC blurring of the screen and shoving popups in your face at every turn its gonna be a nightmare for the average person/employee.

If I was asked to give a word to describe Vista Id say OVERKILL.

The very last line:

UAC: You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?

PC: sigh...allow

These 2 things: UAC and the way the folders are designed, complete overkill. Again, Im talking average people.

Oh, 1 more thing, fugly teal folders:

post-190930-1172684745.jpg

Hate to say it, but I think the snip tool is my favorite new feature

Edited by solardog
crazlunatic
It's possible , just delete the links folder in users\yourusername\ , you can also add whatever you like there too.

My gripe is for the picture viewer , it keeps opening a new window for every image i click, is there any tweak to make it reuse the existing window ? I don't want nor need 50 picture viewer windows open

Deleting the Links Folder just makes it say empty below the Favourite Links panel. Am I doing this right?

Lawliet
I fail to see how this ensures more security. Even so, am I forced to use the default one? Let's say I have a PHP script. I don't want it to be associated with the ugly notepad icon. And I can't change it to something else.

As you've failed to answer any of our queries regarding where to find said options, I guess it's pretty much acknowledged that some of the interfaces have been dumbed down. I'm not saying all. If you still refuse to acknowledge that, to each his own I guess. You can continue to be your Microsoft fanboy.

I've not tried the snipping tool much but one thing I've observed is that it tends to add a red border around images - not something I would like.

EDIT: Another annoyance: Vista has some issues with the recently run programs on the Start Menu. I've never ran the "Backup and Restore Center" before but it keeps appearing whenever I run another Control Panel applet.

Edited by Lawliet
raskren

You can turn off the border or change the color.

franzon
Using the "Open with" menu is more longwinded than simply using Edit though. Don't they have any people testing things for ease of use? :pinch:

YOU'RE WRONG! AND YOU NEVER TRIED IT!

In fact the first time you have to browse for an application, but the next time that application is already placed in "Open with" context menu: this is a new Vista's feature i.e. the used applications are automatically placed in the context menu! And so "Edit with" is not necessary because you have a list of your used applications in the "Open with" context menu: your html editor for editing HTML files, the notepad, etc.

Vista simplified the user's experience because the user is able to add applications for open, edit, print without using a complex window (XP's window was too complex: http://uploads.neowin.net/forum/post-13530...42012_thumb.jpg)

Edited by franzon
ScottKin
Hey MS fanboy... you like whatever MS give you? Sure you do... because they OWN YOU. :devil:

READ the bottom of thread opening.. if you do not want to contribute to a better solution... then zip it.

Sorry, nevets - I call'em as I see'em.

And as far as my being a "Microsoft Fanboy"? That dog doesn't hunt. Maybe you should do some checking, because I've gone after Microsoft on a number of issues with Vista here on Neowin and elsewhere. I, for one, am absolutely frustrated with Microsoft in their decision not to support Pocket PC devices running PocketPC 2002 - now, I'm forced to have a dual-boot system so I can boot into XP64 just so I can update my PDA.

My suggestion still stands: either adapt to the changes or go back to how you liked things in the past with XP. As to all of the niceties that you're wanting for Vista, I'm sure that there is someone out there writing a Vista tweaker that will address most of what you're commenting about.

Vista was not developed in a vacuum. Thousands of Beta Testers, hundreds and hundreds of people visiting Microsoft's many "Usability Studies", comments and suggestions from people all over the world - what you're seeing in Vista is the culmination of years of research. Microsoft made the changes in it's software based on input from people outside of Microsoft. I am not invalidating any of your quips about Vista; it just seems silly to me that you seem so unwilling to make a few adjustments in regards to the changes in Vista over XP.

--ScottKin

Not a broken feature but I did notice and find it funny and sad that the Font Install dialog is still the same as it was in Windows 3.1.

Start - Run -> Fonts -> "alt" File -> Install new font

Yep - Chris Pirillo and I disagree on that, but seriously; who actually USES the Font Install dialog anymore?

:shifty:

--ScottKin

Daedalus
I am not sure if this is a Vista bug or a media player bug when I'm listening to something and I push the X to close Media player it disappears but music is still playing. Has anyone experienced this?

I've seen this bug too...

ScottKin
I wouldn't know. First thing, I think they are not directly comprable. Car designs are mostly evolutionary but it is silly to discount them as "very easy".Whenever there are big turnarounds (like say Hydrogen or fuel cell powered car), I would hazard a guess that OS development becomes way too simple in comparison. ;-)

I think you are thinking just manufacturing of cars, I am talking designing from scratch. It's way too complicated than just selecting few parts and than putting them together.

But I will agree that I don't have slightest idea about complications involved in building as OS. :p

A car does not take years to code.

You will be surprised.

A car does not have thousands people working on the design.

Coding and designing is different.

A car only has a few situations to be tested in.

Probably true.

A car does not need to deal with 'backwards compatability'.

Not as simple as that. The steering & pedals on your car are perfect examples of this.

A car does not need continual support from the manufacturer.

Oh really ?

A car does not need continual daily and weekly updates and modifications to be fit for purpose.

Neither does an OS. Most OS updates are

1. fixes for faulty design. 2. Improvements/additions.

A car does not cost billions to develop.

Again design and develop (manufacturing for cars) are different. ;-)

A car can use several stock components.

Was vista build from scratch ? The answer is No.

A car does not need to run 24/7.

The reliability requirements are many magitudes higher than an OS. So don't even think about this.

A car does not require major changes every few years.

Neither does an OS.

A car is NOTHING like an OS.

Agreed.

Again, I am not discounting either OS or cars. I love them both. :p

To design a car in the same way that software is designed, you would have to do it in this manner:

1) The car would have to be designed molecule-by-molecule - and assembled molecule-by-molecule.

2) The manner of molecular assembly must not be similar to the molecular assembly of your competition.

3) Finished pieces must not, in any way, shape or form be similar to your competitor's product.

4) In some cases, some finished pieces of car must not and can not operate in any fashion similarly to your competitor's pieces.

5) Your car's wheels must be unique and not similar to your competitor's car.

6) The sound of the engine in your car must also be unique and not similar to your competitor's car

7) You can not use the same type of fuel in your car as your competitor's car

8) Major components of your car, if replaced by another manufacturer, will cause you car to immediately detonate, explode and turn into a burnt-out cinder until you turn the key to the car "off". Once you are able to turn the key to "off", the car will auto-magically return to it's pre-start condition. The nanosecond that you turn the key "on", the car will again go through the "detonate/explode/burn" process. If you try this too many times, the car will stay in the "burnt cinder" mode.

9) Taking your car in for repairs might cost you the total ammount paid for the car - and it might end-up with a brand-new paintjob.

and finally....

10) Your car can not be driven on the same roads as your competition's car

--ScottKin

nevets
Does the phrase "ADAPT OR DIE" mean anything to you?.

I swear, these rants against Vista are become more and more anal-nee-fanboyish each day.

This is your original reply to my OP. I have to call'em as I see'em too :whistle: . Accuse me of being anal... that's fine... because I trained and worked in the auto industry where mistakes not very tolerated. My buddy designing in the aerospace industry is far more anal than me ;) My OP states both facts and opinions and is indicated as such. I would have a long list of complaints on MacOS's and Linux's if I had to use it everyday.

Sure I'll find a way to adapt... that's why this post was not called "I'll die if they don't change Vista to fit me".... It's an annoyance. Are you 100% satisfied with the way MS is handling things? I feel I must voice it. Just like your Pocket PC 02 support went into the dark. Not enough people called out.. or maybe they did, and MS just refused to listen. Makes me wonder what MS really means by "compatibility" .

Vista was not developed in a vacuum. Thousands of Beta Testers, hundreds and hundreds of people visiting Microsoft's many "Usability Studies", comments and suggestions from people all over the world - what you're seeing in Vista is the culmination of years of research. Microsoft made the changes in it's software based on input from people outside of Microsoft. I am not invalidating any of your quips about Vista; it just seems silly to me that you seem so unwilling to make a few adjustments in regards to the changes in Vista over XP.

They surely didn't listen to people who just wanted only better security and not fancy UI changes. Ditching functions that don't even interfere with the newer functions.

As I stated, the obvious is to just "live with it" just like a lot of things in this world. But let it be voiced out, otherwise it will be assumed to be OK in the first place.

My suggestion still stands: either adapt to the changes or go back to how you liked things in the past with XP. As to all of the niceties that you're wanting for Vista, I'm sure that there is someone out there writing a Vista tweaker that will address most of what you're commenting about.

My new laptops comes with Vista.... how can I go back to XP? Surely you can't expect people to buy XP again... and no guarantee there's still driver support (there's no XP driver for the sony's laptop integrated camera) It's not like they gave me a choice for XP when I bought it. I'll be tweaking it for sure, but there's no guarantee of stability till I test it for a while. Waisting more of my time.

Aero Ultimate
The whole interface on how you navigate folders feels incredibly awkward and unintuitive. When I first got vista it frustrated the hell out of me, but I figured Id get used to it...I havent. I know for a fact that a hell of a lot of people are going to have problems with this. Im talking normal everyday people...not the people here.

The UAC is a HUGE problem. Im sorry but this is another thing that normal, everyday people are gonna be incredibly confused and/or annoyed by. The average user is not going to know about right clicking to run as administrator and the obnoxiuos way Vista shoves itself in your face. Its a major flaw IMO. Again Im thinking of the normal person that never go to sites like this.

I told my brother to avoid Vista as its gonna kill productivity at his business. How could it not? Between the UAC blurring of the screen and shoving popups in your face at every turn its gonna be a nightmare for the average person/employee.

If I was asked to give a word to describe Vista Id say OVERKILL.

The very last line:

UAC: You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?

PC: sigh...allow

These 2 things: UAC and the way the folders are designed, complete overkill. Again, Im talking average people.

lol... the Mac spot is really straight on there :laugh:

While the basic idea of the Uac is good, it's implementation in Vista is seriously flawed and overly annoying, it interferes with your everyday work way too much :pinch:

@Franzon:

I'll take it that you have run out of arguments when you have to resort to screaming :ike:

Let's compare XP and Vista:

XP: right-click on file -> Print

Vista: right-click on file -> Open with -> select application -> wait until application is launched -> select applications "Print" command

Everyone can see which of the two is more longwinded. Your screaming won't change anything there.

chrismaddern
lol... the Mac spot is really straight on there :laugh:

While the basic idea of the Uac is good, it's implementation in Vista is seriously flawed and overly annoying, it interferes with your everyday work way too much :pinch:

@Franzon:

I'll take it that you have run out of arguments when you have to resort to screaming :ike:

Let's compare XP and Vista:

XP: right-click on file -> Print

Vista: right-click on file -> Open with -> select application -> wait until application is launched -> select applications "Print" command

Everyone can see which of the two is more longwinded. Your screaming won't change anything there.

??

post-165765-1172850552_thumb.jpg

Aero Ultimate
??

Didn't work for me when I tried it recently... guess I'll have to try it again then.

HoochieMamma

:blink:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, how is it a security risk to change a God damn icon!?

@Lawliet

untitled1dc1.jpg

Aero Ultimate
:blink:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, how is it a security risk to change a God damn icon!?

That's a damn good question :laugh:

Perhaps MS thinks you can get a virus from changing the icon or something? :pinch:

I can see how that will turn out after SP1: You can change the icon now, but you'll have another totally pointless Uac prompt for doing that :rofl:

nevets

Alrighty, I would first like to say that My original post never compared the making of the cars to software, but the treatment of the outcome of the product... ie the quality and completeness. So please end argument in that area.

Second,

go read up on car design before you make any more post of how a car is actually designed and built.

Third... replying to your reasonings..

To design a car in the same way that software is designed, you would have to do it in this manner:

The car would have to be designed molecule-by-molecule - and assembled molecule-by-molecule.

car companies DON'T choose to make every part themselves if there already is a part they can outsource (ie tires, wheels). When a part is designed from scratch... the considerations of material science, stress testing, weatherproofing, styling, manufacturability, environmental concerns etc. Besides, where do you see MS
rewriting
the OS from scratch?

The manner of molecular assembly must not be similar to the molecular assembly of your competition.

Same here.... building cars isn't just taking parts and screwing them together... where the hell you think the parts come from? Companies share suppliers to reduce cost. if cost wasn't a factor they will have to make their own part an will be subject to all patent law enforcements.

Finished pieces must not, in any way, shape or form be similar to your competitor's product.

that's funny.... aero looks awfully familiar with my xp with windowblinds software.... mac os giant icons? macos using freebsd? hmm... they all look similar to me.

In some cases, some finished pieces of car must not and can not operate in any fashion similarly to your competitor's pieces.

uhm.... Car companies are not cheapos and pay for patented functions like anti-lock braking and air-bags.

Your car's wheels must be unique and not similar to your competitor's car.

Maybe because they are using the same wheel from the same company holding the patent for the design. All the wheels are uniquely designed. Go walk outside and look at the cars. And don't compare cheap steel wheels and wheelcaps.

The sound of the engine in your car must also be unique and not similar to your competitor's car

No two cars will sound EXACTLY the same. Luxury car strive to achieve silence.

You can not use the same type of fuel in your car as your competitor's car

Like you use a different type of electricity? :woot:

Major components of your car, if replaced by another manufacturer, will cause you car to immediately detonate, explode and turn into a burnt-out cinder until you turn the key to the car "off". Once you are able to turn the key to "off", the car will auto-magically return to it's pre-start condition. The nanosecond that you turn the key "on", the car will again go through the "detonate/explode/burn" process. If you try this too many times, the car will stay in the "burnt cinder" mode.

HAHA... so will windows

Taking your car in for repairs might cost you the total ammount paid for the car - and it might end-up with a brand-new paintjob.

Taking your computer to best buy to have it recovered for $45... when all they do is put a CD in and reboot. BTW.. lost of places charge $100+ for windows setup :rolleyes: And don't even think about fixing a virus... $65 - $120+ and hour... and no warranty.

--ScottKin

Congratulations, you've come to the sad realization of proprietary Software. There are software and OS's out there that are modular.

I guess a Ferrari's and Lamborghini's would be be pretty much incompatible to 99% of cars out there... but of course you can't compare that to Vista... not to how much detail and effort is really put into those machines to make it a whole complete package.

and finally....

10) Your car can not be driven on the same roads as your competition's car

Uhm... there's something called the internet? :wacko:

Edited by nevets
T-1000

About the Windows 3.1 Install Font dialog, it's actually funny and not a problem at all, I don't see why people complain about it... It's like an easter egg.

The only reason I can think of for the MS UI team to not change it was to keep it as an easter egg. Let's hope that Vienna still presents that dialog the same way, as a memory of the 3.1 days :p Maybe it will stay forever that way!

mattrobs
In fact the first time you have to browse for an application, but the next time that application is already placed in "Open with" context menu: this is a new Vista's feature i.e. the used applications are automatically placed in the context menu!

No it's not. That's in XP, too.