UFC 70: Confirmed for Manchester

Randy vs Gonzaga is gonna be interesting on one hand I think Gonzaga will dominate but then Randys experience is vital is a fight like that and it will probably happen UFC 74...

I used to think Arlovski was amazing when he faught but then Silvia biffed him up and then I didn't like him and his fight at UFC 70 was boring...

Chuck...I don't want it to be but Quinton will just fall short I think...

Randy vs Gonzaga is gonna be interesting on one hand I think Gonzaga will dominate but then Randys experience is vital is a fight like that and it will probably happen UFC 74...

I used to think Arlovski was amazing when he faught but then Silvia biffed him up and then I didn't like him and his fight at UFC 70 was boring...

Chuck...I don't want it to be but Quinton will just fall short I think...

Quinton beat his arse in pride, this will be very interesting, I hope it available in HD

Quinton beat his arse in pride, this will be very interesting, I hope it available in HD

He did but since then Chuck has dominated UFC so there is a chance he could rule Quinton...

He did but since then Chuck has dominated UFC so there is a chance he could rule Quinton...

well I want to see chuck win also but UFC is no pride, but we can hope ;)

well I want to see chuck win also but UFC is no pride, but we can hope ;)

I don't know I want Quinton to win a new reign and such but as I said before Chuck owns that division atm...

Chuck dominated UFC has no bearing with the Rampage/Liddell fight. If they both wanna fight stand up, Quinton may have a rough time since as of late, he's been taking people out with the knees and Chuck doesn't let fighters get in on him that easily. If Quinton dominates Chuck, people may start to see the Pride dominance of UFC shift. I mean, you're talking about Pride vs. UFC fights, which is all I want to see. I'd love to see Henderson, Wanderlei Silva back in UFC, and ultimately, I want to see Fedor dominate. I'm often tired of hearing the UFC heavyweights turn down Fedor for fights. Sylvia was obviously scared of him, and Liddell was VERY hesistant on the radio interview about fighting Fedor.

Right now, UFC has the upper hand in the dominance over Pride. CroCop was beaten on UFC grounds, and he has said the elbows make a difference. Some fighters in Pride are so tenacious though, much more than UFC fighters IMO. We'll see, it'll be an awesome sight to see Pride fighters vs. UFC fighters.

I was never able to get confirmation of fighters? salaries from UFC 70, so I?m going to pass along the figures originally posted by MMANews.com. The figures, of course, do not include special bonuses that the UFC usually pays (you can read about some of them in our archives). These numbers do include ?win? bonuses, though (a typical payday for a winning fighter, for example, is $3,000 to show and $3,000 for the win). The $843,000 payout included: Gabriel Gonzaga ($60,000) def. Mirko CroCop ($350,000), Andrei Arlovski ($160,000) def. Fabricio Werdum ($80,000), Michael Bisping ($24,000) def. Elvis Sinosic ($8,000), Ryoto Machida ($40,000) def. David Heath ($6,000), Cheick Kongo ($40,000) def. Assuerio Silva ($8,000), Terry Etin ($12,000) def. Matt Grice ($3,000), Junior Assuncao ($6,000) def. David Lee ($2,000), Alessio Sakara ($20,000) def. Victor Valimaki ($3,000), Jess Liaudin ($6,000) def. Dennis Siver ($3,000), and Paul Taylor ($8,000) def. Edilberto Crocota ($4,000).

Why do some people think Liddell is some indestructible force? They thought the same of Flipovic. Both guys have had decisive losses before, difference being I don't think Liddell has had as talented competition. I know 2003 is a long time ago as far as fighting is concerned, and even though Liddell beat Alistair Overeem, he struggled against a mediocre opponent before losing to Jackson in that Grand Prix.

But I still think Liddell will win unless the Quinton Jackson of old shows up for the fight. I'd like nothing more than to see Jackson get in a clinch with Liddell and power bomb him as he did against Ricardo Arona.

My gripe about the UFC vc PRIDE comparisons are the different rules and environment. The entire sport needs to go with one standard model for the sake of uniformity. Allow the kneeing and kicking to the head of a grounded opponent already. PRIDE should allow elbows. Either go with a conventional square ring or caged Octagon. The cage is more gimmick than anything in my opinion, and a throwback to the early days when they needed to market the events as a "two man enter one man leave--Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" sort of deal. MMA is in the mainstream now, they can drop the gimmicks.

Personally, I think a circular ring would be an interesting concept to ponder, this way you cannot pin an opponent into a corner.

EDIT: I forgot they the new owners changed the PRIDE rules to mirror the American MMA rules of combat. Now I remember why I was ****ed off. No more stomps or soccer kicks. No knees to the head in the half-guard. Lame lame lame. :(

Edited by Googintosh

The rule differences are huge. UFC allows the elbows, and PRIDE doesn't, but PRIDE allows the knees on the ground to the head, and kicks to the head. CroCop specifically said he was not used the elbows and had a weak defense against them.

The PRIDE fighters who dominate with submission and ground tactics will be the most likely winners in UFC vs. PRIDE fights. Fedor would probably kill somebody with the longer amounts of time on the ground in UFC. But since he's non-exclusive, who knows what's going to happen, White needs to pay the man to fight someone.

The rule differences are huge. UFC allows the elbows, and PRIDE doesn't, but PRIDE allows the knees on the ground to the head, and kicks to the head. CroCop specifically said he was not used the elbows and had a weak defense against them.

Not anymore. PRIDE 34 was the last PRIDE event to use those rules. They will be using the unified rule set now. Which is good for uniformity, bad because they adopted the inferior set of rules. If they eventually adopt the lame cage-octagon configuration I'm going to **** on Zuffa :crazy:

I realize they do not use those rules anymore, but for fighters from PRIDE who came to UFC, like CroCop, elbows reigning on their heads was not a welcome sight. PRIDE fighters will have to adapt, especially stand-up fighters. Fedor on the other hand, will probably destroy more opponents even faster now that he can reign huge elbows and stay on the ground even longer than in PRIDE.

i watched the last one and the uk crowd seems pretty subdued compared with the states.

Always the same with the wrestling...they don't cheer as much as the American audiences do...

After a successful UFC 70 event in Manchester, England last month, the UFC is looking to hold four additional events in the U.K. before the end of the year, according to The Fight Network.

The UFC, which recently opened a U.K. office to expand its foothold in Europe, returned to England for the first time in five years with last month?s event. In fact, it was the first event outside of America since July 2002?s ?UFC 38: Brawl in the Hall.? That event at London?s Royal Albert Hall drew just 5,000 fans; UFC 70 drew 14,921 with a live gate of $2.6 million.

According to The Fight Network:

Industry buzz says the UFC is aiming to hold four UK events before the year is out, possibly in London and Dublin, in addition to the already scheduled Manchester and Belfast events.

The Belfast event, UFC 72, takes place June 16 at the Odyssey Arena, and UFC president Dana White recently stated that London could host a UFC event as early as September of this year.

Additionally, he confirmed plans for a U.K. edition of The Ultimate Fighter reality series that would film in the U.K. and feature European fighters.

For us fans across the pond, the only downside to the UFC?s greater presence in Europe is the start times of the events. Because of the time-zone differences, it appears that the European events will usually air on a tape-delay basis here in North America. Although most fans can simply steer clear of the Internet to avoid most spoilers, event results are sure to leak to some fans ? and especially lowly Webmasters.