Upgrade Pontiac G6 stereo

So today I just bought my first NEW car :D! I got a Pontiac G6 Sedan base model with not many options. I should be able to get pictures tomorrow. Anyways it has the temperature outside and oil monitor displayed on the factory stereo and I was wondering what the best way to go about upgrading the sound system would be. The problem is I would prefer not to loose the information on that display.

Well I found some setups and photos using that adapter at g6performance.com and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, so it looks like I will go with it. I am not sure when I will pick stuff up because I really don't feel like having to install a stereo and have to remove it later to hookup an amp or replace speakers and have to rewire later for the amp, I rather do everything all at once. So looks like I will be saving and waiting awhile and just get what I all need. I figure it will be about $1000. I also want to add keyless entry and remote start soon. Anyways, heres a couple picture I took the other day.

post-16018-1171910355.jpg

post-16018-1171910370.jpg

good luck with your car, i wish the good looks went hand in hand with quality.

bit of advice when you install your stereo, get it done by professionals, and not by some "local auto stereo shop" you don't want to end up like my cousins who thought they were saving money, but down the road it only ended up screwing up their car's electrical system. you have to get correct wiring/fuse or else you'll melt everything.

good luck with your car, i wish the good looks went hand in hand with quality.

bit of advice when you install your stereo, get it done by professionals, and not by some "local auto stereo shop" you don't want to end up like my cousins who thought they were saving money, but down the road it only ended up screwing up their car's electrical system. you have to get correct wiring/fuse or else you'll melt everything.

By professionals I hope you don't mean Cirucit City or Best Buy...

By professionals I hope you don't mean Cirucit City or Best Buy...

i was thinking along the lines of Al&Eds... maybe, MAYBE tweeter..

What about keeping the existing stereo and adding amps and speakers?

It is possible to route the existing speaker signals to EQ's and amps.

i think that is also possible, you'd need a HI-LO converter.. that's what i'm getting installed since i don't want to change my head unit. i haven't found anything that flushes well with my interior.

You could also use JL's clean sweep adapter: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansw....php?page_id=94 / http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansw....php?page_id=92

In short... you can use your stock HU and get aftermarket sound to an amp

That looks really nice but I don't think it is priced right. For the same price I can get after market sound and features. Crutchfield will cut half off the price of the Metra kit I posted above making it $90 with the purchase of a receiver $130 and over. Best Buy has a Scosche dash kit for $200 but they wont cut the cost. I think I will at least have a look at it I might like it alot more than the Metra.

Well I checked out the Scosche dash kit at Exclusive Company (local business) and was not impressed. I ordered the Metra kit with the JVC KD-HDR1 receiver along with Polk db690s and db6500s from Crutchfield. Amps and subs will have to wait for now. Maybe when the equipment comes next week I will take pictures, I am not sure if I will install then or wait for everything.

Well I checked out the Scosche dash kit at Exclusive Company (local business) and was not impressed. I ordered the Metra kit with the JVC KD-HDR1 receiver along with Polk db690s and db6500s from Crutchfield. Amps and subs will have to wait for now. Maybe when the equipment comes next week I will take pictures, I am not sure if I will install then or wait for everything.

Yeah take pictures. Nice looking car and nice WI plates :) I was just at the DMV yesterday getting myself some 'current' plates for my car ;) Oh and it's snowing really really bad right now... lol *offtopic*

Did some work on it today and put in the rear speakers they went fine. The stereo went in good also the only thing is I didn't have an illumination wire so if I wanted to use that it would require some extra wiring. Got to the door speakers and it looks like I have an issue. I took off the door panel and found that they no longer screw a normal speaker into the mount, now they build a speaker into the mount. Needless to say I am fairly ****ed at Crutchfield, I knew i would have to drill a hole for a tweeter but not cut apart my old speakers to build a mount for my new ones.