Wireless Networking Mac & Pc

my powerbook is equipped with airport card, i'm wondering how can i network my laptop with my sister's laptop (windows xp).

what do i need to set it up? do i still need an airport base station?

You don't need a base station, you can make a computer to computer network (ad-hoc), you can choose that from the airport menu bar, disadvantage is that one of your laptops will need to be conencted to the interenet normally . Getting a base station would be the better option imo, as then it is truly wireless and no computer has to be plugged into anything.

not a problem, my powerbook usually sits on my desk. i will definitely get the airport base station when i have the cash. :)

what card do i need to get for the pc?

I recommend the 3com OfficeConnect PC Card with XJack antenna, It works great with my Airport Base Station and if you are constantly on the go with it, the antenna folds into the pc to prevent breaking it.

Also one thing, if you want 128 or 40-bit encryption you'll need a network password converted into HEX. Once in Airport Admin Utility, go to the toolbar and select "network equilvalent password" and copy that to your XP machine and it will work. Apple wouldn't help me with that I had to find it myself online. Apple still rocks though. :D

? - wouldn't any WAP work, like the linksys wap11 - which is only around $100 vs the Airport Base station which is in the $300 range?? Anything that runs 802.11b should work!