Office 2007 Activation

Question

I know this may not be the right thread (if a MOD moves this, PM me so I can know where the new place is) but I'm not sure where to post this... my question is, how many times can I activate my Office 2007 (Home & Student) edition that I recently bought from the store? For example, I format my computer every two months or so - will I be able to activate again and again?

I'm new to this whole thing - thanks!

-Andy

Edit: Great, I got it installed and working, but every Office program has an annoying "for non-commerical use" text next to the title. Any idea how I can remove this?

Edited by Andy13

I know this may not be the right thread (if a MOD moves this, PM me so I can know where the new place is) but I'm not sure where to post this... my question is, how many times can I activate my Office 2007 (Home & Student) edition that I recently bought from the store? For example, I format my computer every two months or so - will I be able to activate again and again?

-Andy

Edit: Great, I got it installed and working, but every Office program has an annoying "for non-commerical use" text next to the title. Any idea how I can remove this?

Regarding your comment on the 'non-commercial use'. If you mean that this is included in the title on the menu then all you need to do is right-click the offending item (e.g. "Microsoft Office Word ...") and select <rename> and then delete the offending text. Much like you do when renaming a folder or a file.

Great, I got it installed and working, but every Office program has an annoying "for non-commerical use" text next to the title. Any idea how I can remove this

I have not seen the Student and Teacher Edition but i guess the warning is to say that it must only be used as part of your study or lesson plans only and not to make money or use it as part of a business.

Hope this helps.

Regarding your comment on the 'non-commercial use'. If you mean that this is included in the title on the menu then all you need to do is right-click the offending item (e.g. "Microsoft Office Word ...") and select <rename> and then delete the offending text. Much like you do when renaming a folder or a file.

I meant it's on the actual titlebar - see attached picture.

post-126842-1172004578_thumb.png

Do you have the trial version installed in your computer? Go to your Add/Remove programs, and check if there is any. If you do, uninstall both the trial version and the full version. Then, reinstall the full version.

Looks like you bought a bogus copy. Take it back and demand a proper full copy.

Well, the thing is, someone else mentioned they had the same problem...so I'm not sure. Ideas? Anyone else who has Home&Student edition who can verify they have the same title bar?

The 'non-commercial use' is supposed to be there in all applications of Office 2007 Home and Student, as you aren't allowed to use it for commericial purposes. You cannot remove it.

Student and Teacher Ed. are for doing assignments, research, lessons, note taking, essays. But you can not use it to create something that you plan on selling, or use in a business environment to help sell. I think...

Bad news, everyone - I spoke to Paul Thorrout, and he spoke to someone from Microsoft, and they claim that this is by design. I hope somebody develops a way to remove the text.

Bad news, everyone - I spoke to Paul Thorrout, and he spoke to someone from Microsoft, and they claim that this is by design. I hope somebody develops a way to remove the text.

Better news everybody. Here's a workaround if you find the "non-commercial use" statement on your title bar particularly annoying.

Here's the issue at hand: The "non-commercial use" appears in your title bar in Office 2007 (home edition) applications because of a particular registry value that exists for each application. You can manually edit the text in that registry value, but Word/Excel/PowerPoint 2007 will automatically recreate that registry key each time they start. The workaround is to edit the relevant registry keys, and then adjust the registry permission so the current userid no longer has rights to update those keys. Kinda convoluted, but it seems to work. Here's a step-by-step:

1) Ensure you have admin rights

2) Start Word, Excel, PowerPoint at least once. This creates the registry keys that we are interested in.

3) Start, Run, regedit

4) Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\ExcelName

5) Double-click the above key, and edit out the "non-commercial use"

6) Click Edit, Permissions

7) Click Advanced

8) Remove the checkbox from "Inherit from parent...."

9) Click "Copy"

10) Remove the "Full Control" checkmark from "Administrators" and the userid you are currently logged in as

11) Keep clicking OK until you get back to the main regedit screen

12) Repeat steps 4-11 for Word and PowerPoint

Remember - use this knowledge for good, and not for evil.

Why is it of such concern? What legal reason would you have for wanting to remove that text? or do you plan on using it for commercial use thus violating your EULA and violating the rules of this board by asking that question.

Why is it of such concern? What legal reason would you have for wanting to remove that text? or do you plan on using it for commercial use thus violating your EULA and violating the rules of this board by asking that question.

I guess there's several possible answers to that question - choose the one you like the most, or offends you the least:

1) The title bar is where I've traditionally kept the current document name, and keeping extraneous text there is distracting, is of no value to me, and ends up truncating the display of my current filename. This has an "annoyance factor" when I've got multiple documents with very long names open.

2) It's a concern because it aesthetically displeases me. Same way as the Windows default color scheme bugs me, which I also change from the default. Same way the autosave runs every 10 minutes (I prefer 5), and so on, and so on. Remember, it's *my* computer, not Microsoft's computer. Why you think I require a "legal" reason to perform this non-infringing task on my own computer with legitimately purchased and licensed software is somewhat of a mystery to me. Just to be sure, I re-read the EULA (we all read those things, don't we?), and I certainly couldn't find anything that disallowed these actions.

3) I don't plan on using my "home" version of Office 2007 for commercial use - it's on my home computer that I use to write grocery lists, vacation plans with the husband and kids, martini recipes for my stitch & b*tch knitting circle, etc. The computer at my office is a mac, so I'm still on Microsoft Office 2004 there, but I can assure you that it is also a fully licensed installation. Remember, just because Microsoft doesn't make it easy for you to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it violates the EULA.

So what is the big deal if it says for none commercial use only? If your that upset over it then buy the professional version. You bought a HOME version Microsoft has different versions for a reason and they decided to add an extra reminder in 2007 that you are using a HOME version.

And you are right it is your computer not microsofts, but it is microsofts software not yours, you do not own the software you purchased a license to use that software within the terms of the EULA.

You may be right that it is not a violation of the EULA to try to remove that text, but you should read the EULA because modifying the registry to change the behavior of the software most likely is in violation of it.

Dear Microsoft,

What is so important about this particular term that Microsoft feels so compelled to place it in a prominent location such as the title bar? Why not other terms in the EULA? Hell, why not put the whole freaking EULA in the title bar?

Begging your pardon far in advance, but spare me please. Did anyone in your rather expensive yet talented legal division bother to give thought to the notion that I'd have to be a reasonably intelligent person in order to make enough money to buy your software in the first place? Must you put your own unique stamp of legal stupididty in a society that has warnings on coffee cups and constant nagging over idiotic crap like "click it or ticket!" Tell me -- please -- how I benefit from a daily reminder of what I can't do on *my* property? Indeed, how much more asinine is this supposed to get, and why am I supposed to simply accept such condescending arrogance from any company that would sooner identify as a useful idiot rather than fully-independent individual with a functional brain?? I guess such people are now creatures of myth. You demand respect from your customers in that we pay full purchase price for the right to use your software on our property, and when we do your response is to point your collective finger at us from Redmond every time said software is loaded.

Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, take a free cluepon from one of your loyal customers: the title bar is supposed to communicate the TITLE of the program and the open document. I bought "Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition" NOT "Microsoft Office 2007 non-commercial use".. Or more specifically, I bought the RIGHT to use your over-priced suite of productivity programs, now leave me in peace and quit insulting my intelligence.

Thanks, that would be great.

So what is the big deal if it says for none commercial use only? If your that upset over it then buy the professional version. You bought a HOME version Microsoft has different versions for a reason and they decided to add an extra reminder in 2007 that you are using a HOME version.

What's the big deal? Well, I guess if it wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't annoying Microsoft's paying customers like myself, then this entire thread wouldn't exist. Perhaps YOU don't think it's a big deal, but somewhere, somehow, other people just might have different opinions than you. I'm perfectly fine with you having a different opinion on this - please extend me the same courtesy. Can we try to be happy to agree to disagree?

And you are right it is your computer not microsofts, but it is microsofts software not yours, you do not own the software you purchased a license to use that software within the terms of the EULA.

And your point being what? Yes, I have a license to use Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition, and I am using it within the parameters specified by the EULA.

You may be right that it is not a violation of the EULA to try to remove that text, but you should read the EULA because modifying the registry to change the behavior of the software most likely is in violation of it.

Again, your point is what exactly? Are you saying I'm not in violation of the EULA, or I am in violation? I did carefully read the EULA, and there's nothing I can find that would indicate these activities violate the EULA. I even looked extra hard for the "Don't do anything that Bgnn32 doesn't agree with" clause, but I couldn't find it. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but you seem to be implying that modifying the registry to change the behaviour of an application somehow violates the EULA. That's entirely ludicrous - there are countless MSKB articles that *require* registry edits to enable/disable specific behaviours or functionality. I really hope you haven't bought into the concept that anything Microsoft doesn't explicitly allow you to do is forbidden.

Wow. Where does one begin? I guess by acknowledging that root and delta are right on the money. Oh my, did I say "money" in a post about Microsoft???

So Bgnn works for the Great Devil - all good. We all need jobs, and he/she is doing a fine one defending that pillar of corporate decency and goodness.

Bgnn, I'm "that upset over it" because Microsoft isn't stupid - evil, but not stupid. They did this purposefully and for the sole intent of annoying users so that they'd do exactly what you're pushing: buy a more expensive version. Is that a right thing to do? Yes, I know Bgnn - "of course it is!" *smack*

So I paid good money (that I don't have) to be able to use Excel and Word, and I currently have 4 Excel documents open at the same time. Wouldn't you just know it - they all have the same name! Which is good, because I was bored anyway working with so many documents, and having 4 documents with the same name in my taskbar made an excellent point-and-click game for me to play to get the mental anguish - er, juices flowing.

So the fix - thank you!!!!! - works. But not so fast. Those little angels in Washington state obviously tied the "Recent Documents" lists to the same type of permissions required for the oh-so-special banner. Coincidence? You be the judge...

A retail license for Office 2007 Home and Student allows for installation on three devices. That includes reinstalling Office after you've formatted your hard drive. It will not install if you exceed the limit. Fortunately, you can contact Microsoft for another product key. They'll provide you with a new one as long as your old one is legitimate.

-Andy

You should have checked your educational institute web site to see if they are a qualifying institution.

Then you could have got ultimate retail for near nada.

That includes reinstalling Office after you've formatted your hard drive. It will not install if you exceed the limit. Fortunately, you can contact Microsoft for another product key. They'll provide you with a new one as long as your old one is legitimate.

Who told you that rubbish.

Activation takes account of your hardware and other configurations and checks the genuine advantage with that.

So you can install it, format install it, format a trillion times and use the same key as long as it's on the same 3 pc's.

If you then scrap a computer you can install it on replacement.

If you have problems with activation, phone Microsoft activation free phone number and activate via the telephone.

Who told you that rubbish. Activation takes account of your hardware and other configurations and checks the genuine advantage with that. So you can install it, format install it, format a trillion times and use the same key as long as it's on the same 3 pc's. If you then scrap a computer you can install it on replacement. If you have problems with activation, phone Microsoft activation free phone number and activate via the telephone.

Dude, slow down, this is about Office activation, which is not Windows activation.

From what I understand, you can activate Office an unlimited amount of times, however, you need to wait a while for a prior activation to "be forgotten" by the system before you can do it again. Why on earth do you format every two months anyway? Take better care of your computer.

I meant it's on the actual titlebar - see attached picture.

It is there because the version you have is for non-commercial use. Why does it even bother you that it is there? You aren't using it for commercial uses are you?

Dear Microsoft,

What is so important about this particular term that Microsoft feels so compelled to place it in a prominent location such as the title bar? Why not other terms in the EULA? Hell, why not put the whole freaking EULA in the title bar?

Begging your pardon far in advance, but spare me please. Did anyone in your rather expensive yet talented legal division bother to give thought to the notion that I'd have to be a reasonably intelligent person in order to make enough money to buy your software in the first place? Must you put your own unique stamp of legal stupididty in a society that has warnings on coffee cups and constant nagging over idiotic crap like "click it or ticket!" Tell me -- please -- how I benefit from a daily reminder of what I can't do on *my* property? Indeed, how much more asinine is this supposed to get, and why am I supposed to simply accept such condescending arrogance from any company that would sooner identify as a useful idiot rather than fully-independent individual with a functional brain?? I guess such people are now creatures of myth. You demand respect from your customers in that we pay full purchase price for the right to use your software on our property, and when we do your response is to point your collective finger at us from Redmond every time said software is loaded.

Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, take a free cluepon from one of your loyal customers: the title bar is supposed to communicate the TITLE of the program and the open document. I bought "Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition" NOT "Microsoft Office 2007 non-commercial use".. Or more specifically, I bought the RIGHT to use your over-priced suite of productivity programs, now leave me in peace and quit insulting my intelligence.

Thanks, that would be great.

Software IS NOT YOUR PROPERTY, you are not free to modify the software, you purchase a license to use the software, you don't buy the software. This isn't a hard legal concept to understand.