Office 2007 Activation

Question

I know this may not be the right thread (if a MOD moves this, PM me so I can know where the new place is) but I'm not sure where to post this... my question is, how many times can I activate my Office 2007 (Home & Student) edition that I recently bought from the store? For example, I format my computer every two months or so - will I be able to activate again and again?

I'm new to this whole thing - thanks!

-Andy

Edit: Great, I got it installed and working, but every Office program has an annoying "for non-commerical use" text next to the title. Any idea how I can remove this?

Edited by Andy13

Ummmm

Studen / Teacher edition is illegal to use commercially because they provide it at discount to students and teachers which is probably why it has the banner. In a business this would fail an audit trust me. As far as activation goes, it should be based on your systems hardware ID and may let you install simultaneously on up to 2 different machines due to being non-commercial. However, to get rid of the banner you may have to edit its settings in the registry. It should be located in a key under

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0

However, as he said you arent supposed to modify it. This IS true.

Good luck!

HAHAHA no doubt on the old bump lol. Oops! I'm embarassed to say I can read . . .

Who told you that rubbish.

Activation takes account of your hardware and other configurations and checks the genuine advantage with that.

So you can install it, format install it, format a trillion times and use the same key as long as it's on the same 3 pc's.

If you then scrap a computer you can install it on replacement.

If you have problems with activation, phone Microsoft activation free phone number and activate via the telephone.

It happened to me. I formatted my hard drive more than three times because of some configuration issues and Office wouldn't install. I had to phone Microsoft to get another product key.

This is aggrevating. Two months ago I purchased Outlook 2007 because my Outlook 2002 wouldn't work properly with Vista in my new computer. A couple of weeks ago I got a short term consulting job, so I purchased Office Student Home to do the work. I didn't notice the very fine print "license for non-commerical use." When I purchased it, it made sense that the lower price for the Student Home version compared to the more expensive version was because it didn't include Outlook. I didn't see the price difference existing out of the goodness of Microsofts' heart to benefit students. I saw the difference as being because it was a less complete product.

Now, apparantly so as not to violate the license, I have to spend another $2XX.XX to get the "commercial" version that includes another copy of Outlook that I already have and paid for. I agree with the concept of not stealing software. But this is the opposite extreme, the software company shafting the consumer.

I'm steamed. Any alternative solution?

You guys realize that this topic is two years old.

anyway, Conservator, you should be able to install Outlook on top of the student teacher addition being that it is a standalone product. You may have had to remove it during the install as it is a full office product but you should also be able to run outlook in conjunction with student teacher. I have done this with office basic (word and excel only) and adding outlook, I don't see what the issue is with adding it after home student is installed.

You guys realize that this topic is two years old.

The thread may be two years old, but the issue is still fresh and relevant.

I had no trouble with the installation. It is the double dipping by Microsoft that is irksome.

The issue is that Microsoft charges $149 for the Student Version and $109 for Outlook standalone, totalling $248.

Office Standard, that includes Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, sells for $239.

The Student version has the licensing/use limitation. Yet I did not in fact receive any discount for purchasing the "student version" along with the standalone Outlook - in fact the cost is $9 more! These prices are based on "retail" from the Microsoft Office site.

And my problem with this is:

* I paid more and received less.

* Their product packaging with their fine print about the use restriction was curt and not informative.

* Their upgrade path for various products within the Office line is predatory.

* Since I (ignorantly) paid a premium on these products - actually received NO "student discount", ethically I shouldn't be limited to "personal use only. "

Edited by Conservator