[Word] Contractions

Word Contractions  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Does using contractions make one sound uneducated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please Explain)

Does using word contractions (can't instead of cannot, won't instead of will not, etc.) make one sound uneducated? Although I am frequently guilty of using them myself, I think people sound smarter when they do not use them.

Edited by guylaroche

for me i use both the compact and expanded words depending on their use.

eg. if i'm arguing with someone and we are going: "is too" "is not" "is too" "is not", the word "isn't" just does not work. See and right there i used "does not" instead of "doesn't", I would say "it doesn't work" though.

I am a culprit of using "ain't", but i think that's not common practice. And right there i used "that's" but I would say "this is sooo dumb", yeah, i use both ;)

I thought we were talking about birthing.

"I don't know nothing about birthing no babies Miss Scarlet."

Double negatives, now there is a grammar rule I hate seeing broken. :devil:

People only look uneducated when they don't include apostrophes in their contractions when typing. "I cant go."

That, and people who include apostrophes in words that don't need them. Such as "I wan't some candy."

Sometimes not using contractions make a person sound like a geek. If using the full form sounds forced, which it usually does when people with my accent use it, using the contraction is better.