How cr*p is Windows Defender

The vista firewall, good router and antivirus is all that is needed. Anything else is just useless clutter.

That way, you won't block any outbound traffic and thus have a gaping huge hole.

Vista firewall is quite complicated and longwinded to set up for outgoig traffic, and not very good at it either. It either block no (default) or all outbound traffic, and creating exceptions is a real pain.

Why should it block them? It should block malicious programs, not those that try to install startup programs.

Good question, yet Defender still blocks pretty much any startup programs, so you have to unblock them manually. There's no working option to not block them at startup either.

Surely some protection is better than none? You get one free with Vista ...

That's the most retarded argument I've heard in a long time :x

Here, let me give you some condoms, for free! Ok,?they have some holes in them, but?surelsome i>protection is better than none:laugh:h:

Well, u'd think it would be very good, seeing as they bought the software, which used to be named "Giant Antispyware," and rebranded it... Maybe they changed the protection engine or something.... *shrugs* It would have been fine if they kept it the same as Giant Antispyware. But you know how MS is. If u can't make it, buy a really good piece of software from someone else and crappify it a little, then call it your own.

My Defender is disabled. It's useless junk.

I use spyware blaster and spyware doctor. Spyware doctor is totally worth the cost of admission, and with spyware blaster kept updated, hardly any spyware breaks through anyway. Oh, and the most important tool of all - intelligent browsing habits. Irreplaceable.

That way, you won't block any outbound traffic and thus have a gaping huge hole.

Vista firewall is quite complicated and longwinded to set up for outgoig traffic, and not very good at it either. It either block no (default) or all outbound traffic, and creating exceptions is a real pain.

So the complaint is that it's hard to set up? Have you tried? Seems pretty damn easy to me. There's one option to add program, and one to add ports. The firewall also tells you when it blocks something, and it's easy to tell it to not block it.

I would go so far as to tell you you are completely and categorically wrong. Have a look at the Control Panel's Network and Internet page. Note the option to "Allow a program through Windows Firewall"? Wow, that was hard to find and understand!

Good question, yet Defender still blocks pretty much any startup programs, so you have to unblock them manually. There's no working option to not block them at startup either.

Isn't that like the opposite of what I was quoting?

That's the most retarded argument I've heard in a long time :x

Here, let me give you some condoms, for free! Ok,?they have some holes in them, but?surelsome i>protection is better than none:laugh:h:

Taking a quote out of context does not prove your point. YOU said it was optional, so YOU'RE the one essentially saying condoms are optional, to use your idea.

I said that some protection is better than none. How on earth is that debatable?

Edited by Kirkburn

I'm having other issues with Defender.

Preinstalling the definitions breaks the SENS service and I can only login 50% of the time.

I tried installing definitions via Windows Update and it just was stuck.

I've disabled it on XP/Vista since the day it came out and I'm not an idiot, don't generalize on something because it's different than what you do.

And well, I've NEVER ran any anti-adware full time, I have 2 installed and run them periodically to clean those 4 cookies each time, heck I knew people who don't even run an antivirus in their entire "mature" computer life and they never had any problem, because they have a brain and they know what they're doing and don't drool when they see an email with "I'm a pretty girl click me click me".

Everyone has the choice, and in the same time the full responsibility if his computer got wiped out by a virus/adware.

Well said, brother :D.

I've been running my PC for 2 years without an anti-virus full time, only periodically I install NOD 32 to check because I'm on a network and some of my friends aren't very spyware/adware savvy.

Fine, if people want to continue living in a fantasy world where they're sure they'll never get touched by a virus, that's up to them. Just know that you will get very frosty receptions from most people you ask for help from.

Getting viruses is not common, but it does happen, and from the most unlikely of sources. Malicious code can be and IS found on major (trusted) websites and (trusted) programs. It happens. If you don't have a virus checker it is quite possible you will never know if you have a virus.

It is a logical fallacy to be certain you've never had a virus, but run without a virus checker. Even if you periodically install a checker to see if you have something, that's just stupid. What will you do if it finds something? Will you think "hey, I should have had this installed before?" Or do you still think "ah, that's okay, I eventually caught it". Actually I think you'll just panic.

Just to be clear, and so that people might actually listen:

Just because something has not happened yet, does not mean it won't happen.

If you live in an earthquake zone, yet have never experienced an earthquake, it does not somehow make you immune. You could live in the safest house there, but every so often you will have to go somewhere 'unsafe'.

So the complaint is that it's hard to set up? Have you tried? Seems pretty damn easy to me. There's one option to add program, and one to add ports. The firewall also tells you when it blocks something, and it's easy to tell it to not block it.

Once again, you set yourself apart with your extreme cluelessness :x

How about you actually try using the Vista firewall, before you go on and talk about something you don't have the tiniest clue about, just making a big ass out of yourself? :pinch:

The Vista Firewall will only show you prompts with incoming traffic. It will not show you any prompts with outgoing traffic, which is either always allowed (default) or always blocked. To be able to set the latter, you have to launch the management console and add the snap-in for the extended firewall configuration. If you do set it to block all, then you have to pre-emptively create exact rules for all applications you want to have internet access, because otherwise everything is blocked without a prompt!

Even then, some applications won't be able to access the internet properly until you turn outbound filtering off again.

Also,?if?you?look?at?the?test?results?at?FirewallLeakTester,?you'll?see?that?the?Windows?Fallailed?all:xb>?leaktests? :x ?

Fine, if people want to continue living in a fantasy world where they're sure they'll never get touched by a virus, that's up to them. Just know that you will get very frosty receptions from most people you ask for help from.

Oh my, you're really in a great hurry to contra:laugh:urself! :laugh:

Just a few posts above, you were still veSome protection is better than nothinger than nothing attitude, and suddenly you point outdo actually do need :huh:r protection? :huh:

What happened, did you actually get a virusSome protection is better than nothingter than nothing attitude and had to reconsider it?

Defender detected a keylogger in a file that I had download and Symantec did not detect anything. I download ClamWin and it detected it also. Of course, I lost all faith in Symantec AV after that.

Defender detected a keylogger in a file that I had download and Symantec did not detect anything. I download ClamWin and it detected it also. Of course, I lost all faith in Symantec AV after that.

Whoa... I knew the Symantec crap was bad, but that bad that?it's even worse than Windows Defender!??:x:x

I disable Defender, no need for it since I browse safely, I also use Firefox which helps quite a bit:):)

Yescommon senseb> is still the most important thing you need to have. Together with goodb> AV, you don't need any crap like Windows Defender.

Well Loose faith on all Anti-Viruses Since I can make a keylogger undetectable in all the AV's

Well Loose faith on all Anti-Viruses Since I can make a keylogger undetectable in all the AV's

I know that there are undetectable keyloggers out there but the fact that Defender and ClamWin (both free software) detected something that Symantec AV (paid software) did not. If I pay for a product I would expect it to perform better than something that is free. I just worked on a co-workers computer, it had Symantec AV on it. I removed Symantec and installed Avast! and it found at least 10 virii that Symantec did not.

Hello!

I strongly disagree with you about Windows Defender is bad program.

I had to used Adaware program that they only delete cookies, not serious spyware.

I will tell you:

After I used Internet Explorer 6 or 7 on Windows XP, then I clean the history and everything from Internet Explorer and Firefox (used it before, but not anymore), then I used to scan Adaware program and they found nothing (cookies), so I sneak into hard drive c: where i found cookies folder, but they are not there. I decide to stop use Adaware program, because they only remove cookies not serious spyware.

I prefer is clean history from Internet Explorer 6 or 7 or Firefox, because they can clean cookies out so faster. I am using Windows Defender on Windows XP on this computer.

Thanks,

Gameboy1977

It never blocks any programs that installs startup items

because you haven't configured for that: :rolleyes:

Tools ---> Options --> enable Software that not yet been classified for risks

Edited by franzon

Care to link to this 'recent test' ?

Hard to miss for anyone who doesn't live under a rock, as it even was on the frontpage!

https://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38243

Researchers from Enex TestLab, an independent testing facility, tested Windows Defender and found that it only blocked 46 per cent of current spyware threats.

Full article: http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/110325.html?aff=rss

Oh my, you're really in a great hurry to contradict yourself! :laugh:

Just a few posts above, you were still very happy with your Some protection is better than nothing attitude, and suddenly you point out that you actually do need proper protection? :huh:

What happened, did you actually get a virus/spyware from your?Some protection is better than nothing> attitude and had to reconsider it?

How does that make any sense? Are you reading what I'm writing?

How does that make any sense? Are you reading what I'm writing?

Yes, I'm reading what you're writing (although I don't know why I waste my time with that dribble).

And no, what you're writing makes no sense at all.

Yes, I'm reading what you're writing (although I don't know why I waste my time with that dribble).

Do you write anything usefull?

Everytime I see you, you write something stupid, and totaly not thought trough...

And if ?t's a waste of you pressuse time, why even bother ey........

Back ontopic: It's a good program... On the other hand, still get the feeling that it doesn't do it's thing completly.

But give it time, it may be improved in the future.:))

Well I'm not going to say it again. It's plainly obvious what I was saying. Some protection is better than nothing. You haven't said anything to contradict that, so I've no idea what you're contesting.

I concede that I think I may have been incorrect with the firewall point - it's possible it was actually OneCare that was doing that. :pinch:

Just to make it completely clear - I am NOT saying Defender is perfect. However, many people in this channel are saying to turn it off because "it's crap". Sure, go ahead, but make sure you replace if with something else like Ad-aware. If you don't, all the AV (and to an extent, firewall) programs in the world won't help prevent spyware. People seem to be confusing the different programs as having similar purposes.

Defender is malicious software prevention. It's not AV. It's not a firewall. Stop comparing it to them!

Edited by Kirkburn