• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How cr*p is Windows Defender

Aero Ultimate    2
I concede that I think I may have been incorrect with the firewall point - it's possible it was actually OneCare that was doing that. :pinch:

Ah, so you finally realized your error. There might still be hope for you then :)

I still don't see why you prefer "Some protection" to "Full protection". As you said yourself, you can always get a virus, and if you only have "some protection", then you're much more likely to get one.

I'll simply ignore that pointless flame from Mr. "I can't spell 'Boogeyman' properly" :pinch:

Kirkburn    172
Ah, so you finally realized your error. There might still be hope for you then :)

I still don't see why you prefer "Some protection" to "Full protection". As you said yourself, you can always get a virus, and if you only have "some protection", then you're much more likely to get one.

You're going to make me break something ... read what I actually write, not what you think I'm writing. :happy:

Boogiman    0
I'll simply ignore that pointless flame from Mr. "I can't spell 'Boogeyman' properly" :pinch:

Sure, no problem. The fact that Boogeyman is english version, not the dutch on doesn't have anything to do with it....... but ey, just ignore me......

dw2003    0
Researchers from Enex TestLab, an independent testing facility, tested Windows Defender and found that it only blocked 46 per cent of current spyware threats.

Full article: http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/110325.html?aff=rss

So let me get this straight... AntiSpyware maker (PC Tools) pays some Australian company (Enex TestLab) to find the best spyware product and... surprise surprise PC Tool's product wins!

Does anyone have an actual link to this 'report' so we know how fair it is?

I mean they could have easily just found spyware that Defender didnt pickup and then only included those in the test. hell, for all we know they might have only tested it against 30 pieces of spyware.

Aero Ultimate    2

The link to the test company is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.testlab.com.au/

It's endorsed by the Australian government, so I seriously doubt they would be bought out by someone.

dw2003    0
It's endorsed by the Australian government, so I seriously doubt they would be bought out by someone.

You mean the same Australian Government that declared that if Obama/Dems Win in '08, Osama will be jumping for joy?

/runs for the hills

nevets    0
Defender detected a keylogger in a file that I had download and Symantec did not detect anything. I download ClamWin and it detected it also. Of course, I lost all faith in Symantec AV after that.

SAV corp? what version? I like to note that down. And what's the file you tried to download with the keylogger?

Please let me know.

Thanks

nevets    0
because you haven't configured for that: :rolleyes:

Tools ---> Options --> enable Software that not yet been classified for risks

I'll try that and reinstall again. see what happens.

thx

I'm pretty much testing my Vista like a average joe user not thinking too much before installing programs.

I would assume functions like that should be turned on by default, and gives users an early warning. I thought this stuff was designed for users who don't know much about spyware and are not aware that they can tweak their startup.

Brody McKee    2
You mean the same Australian Government that declared that if Obama/Dems Win in '08, Osama will be jumping for joy?

/runs for the hills

A government comprises of more than one politician, at least it does in Australia. John Howard (who made that remark) shouldn't have said what he did (even if he was right), but that doesn't mean it's the offical view of the government/country.

Tailwind    329

The only issue I have with defender is making me wait 5 minutes while it scans large files. I tend to just disable it, download, and re-enable (on xp). On vista I'll prolly just disable it if they haven't fixed the engine.

PGHammer    1,495
Whoa... I knew the Symantec crap was bad, but that bad that?it's even worse than Windows Defender!??:x:x

Yescommon senseb> is still the most important thing you need to have. Together with goodb> AV, you don't need any crap like Windows Defender.

And why do YOU hate Windows Defender (which is actually a pretty decent anti-malware program)?

I use it together with Windows Live OneCare (which includes Defender as a component) so I have both AV and anti-malware covered. The biggest problem with most other AV and anti-malware programs is that they don't work with Windows Vista (I run Vista Ultimate exclusively, so Vista support is a necessity) or you wind up with two different products from two different companies that don't work together either well or at all (and THAT is just asking for trouble, no matter what OS you run).

As far as Live OneCare goes, I let it check four times a day (which is the default) for updates, and it does complete PC checkups weekly. I am NOT a Microsoft employee, but I *do* test, and, when sufficiently impressed, use, their software. And WLOC impresses me.

George P    5,488

I use Windows Defender, and AVG 7.1 for AV on XP SP2, with the Windows Firewall, I also have Spybot S&D but each time I run it, at best it'll find 1 or 2 tracking cookies and nothing more. Personally Defender is working GREAT for me.

I'm also using IE7.