Most annoying things in Vista

Most annoying thing in vista - is vista. I was totally FOR vista, until I got it. There were SO many problems. Just look at the countless numbers of threads on this forum concerning problems. Microsoft should not have launched it - it is still! under developped. .....

I rest my case...

Dude, the N stands for No Media. The version the EU forced MS to create in it's anti-competition judgement. It's intentional that it doesn't have WMP preinstalled, but you should be able to install it after the fact...

Also both versions are avalible in the EU too, he should have just purchased the other one.

I would have to go with the way some of the new control panel applets are organized and have been changed.

If it wasn't for the search feature being able to find specific control panel applets (as it does it MacOSX) it?s very difficult to find what you're looking for. They've also updated some applets and not others giving it an inconsistent feel, which I don't like.

I also don't care for the tree view for the programs list in the start menu, but it?s not a huge deal for me as I just use the search to start whatever program I want.

But all in all, I like Vista and wouldn't even consider going back to using WindowsXP.

The most irritating to me is that explorer isn't consistent when selecting multiple files and deleting them clicking <shift><delete>. It somehow loses focus on the selected files and as a result the entire folder in which the files were located is deleted (nope, not in the recycle bin anymore)... I've had this >20 times already! And no, this isnt my bad! It's a BUG!

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this behavior. This really does seem like something that needs to be addressed with a patch or something before SP1 comes out. It's a little hard to believe that this issue wasn't mentioned by Beta testers and fixed before it went to RTM. I had the same problem in Beta 2 and RCs.

The other annoyances i've found (not major mind you, but nonetheless...):

1. When Vista has to switch off Aero, I don't need a big balloon popup telling me what's going on. I can it informing me once, but after that (at least for the exact same program) I don't need it again.
  2. Removing the ability to configure the Explorer toolbar at all seems a bit too much dumbing down. I do like that the tools on the bar change according to the selected file, but I would still like to have maybe a delete button (I know, I can just click the 'delete' button on my keyboard, but still, sometimes it's just nice to have).
  3. I do notice that Windows Longhorn Server (Feb 2007 CTP) has beefed up the defragmenter a little, showing you which drive is currently being defragmented, and allowing you to choose which drives to defragment. It would be nice if that was at least included in Vista SP1.

I was so excited about this OS, but the more I use it the more I hate it. UAC is probably the worst decision MS ever made. It friggin assaults you at every turn. If this isnt modified or altogether dumped in a service pack itlll be the best thing that ever happened to Apple.

The explorer is horrible now. Why are the a zillion friggin panels and that friggin bread crumb bs. Ugly mother f'n teal folder icons to the left of me, details to the right and below, Im stuck in the middle again!! Does anyone at MS have any contact at all with average humans? Ive never seen such a terrifiying example of overkill in my life. Get it all out of my f'n face!

MS you've got a problem here.

say welcome to trojans... which are able to install them in system locations...

say welcome to application's exploits... which work with full priviledges... massive damage!

say welcome to programs which are able to modify other programs files and critical windows's settings, install drivers and services, disable your antivirus and modify the firewall's rules, without your consent...

Oh please. You gotta be kidding me. UAC is an insult to everyones intelligence.

Most annoying thing in vista - is vista. I was totally FOR vista, until I got it. There were SO many problems. Just look at the countless numbers of threads on this forum concerning problems. Microsoft should not have launched it - it is still! under developped. .....

Same here. Id call the UAC overdeveloped tho. Its like the developers locked them selves away for 5 years working on Vista and totally lost touch with reality.

Edited by solardog

I've had Vista x64 for three days. My annoyances so far.

• I purchased a brand new Seagate SATA HDD for it. My HDD is constantly thrashing away, even when I am not doing anything. I find it to be the biggest annoyance because it creates noise. Just surfing the web causes the HDD to thrash. The HDD has an index rating of 5.9 (overall system rating of 4.8), and an identical drive runs XP with much less thrashing. I know it cannot be due to low RAM because I have 2GB. If anyone has some insight into why this is happening I'd like to hear it.
  • The disk defragmenter. Aside from removing an option to see what the defragmenter is doing, they could have at least kept some kind of progress bar.
  • ClearType on my CRT monitor is too blurry. Disabled.
  • The Aero UI. I hope I get used to it because I find it repulsive right now, especially in windows explorer. It does not look as polished and streamlined as the UI on a Mac. In fact, it looks amateur compared to the Mac UI.
  • The other annoyances I have are common when migrating to a new OS which are not necessarily the fault of Vista. The Firefox activex plugin does not want to install and so I cannot watch any content on TSN.ca, or any site that uses activex for that matter. There are some other program compatibility issues, and the Creative Labs X-fi drivers are STILL beta.

Edited by Googintosh

I purchased a brand new Seagate SATA HDD for it. My HDD is constantly thrashing away, even when I am not doing anything. I find it to be the biggest annoyance because it creates noise. Just surfing the web causes the HDD to thrash. The HDD has an index rating of 5.9 (overall system rating of 4.8), and an identical drive runs XP with much less thrashing. I know it cannot be due to low RAM because I have 2GB. If anyone has some insight into why this is happening I'd like to hear it.
My guess is that the indexer is still indexing all your files. That should stop when it?s done.
The disk defragmenter. Aside from removing an option to see what the defragmenter is doing, they could have at least kept some kind of progress bar.

Hardly a huge annoyance. The new version is more seamless, though I guess I sort of progress indicator would be useful.

ClearType on my CRT monitor is too blurry. Disabled.
Wasn?t ClearType designed specially for LCD displays? I've never seen ClearType look any good on any CRT display on any operating system.
The Firefox activex plugin does not want to install and so I cannot watch any content on TSN.ca, or any site that uses activex for that matter

That is a Mozilla problem. Can't you just use Internet Explorer to view that site until the issue is corrected?

Creative Labs X-fi drivers are STILL beta.

Hardly Vista's fault if Creative can't get it together.

I

I also don't care for the tree view for the programs list in the start menu, but it?s not a huge deal for me as I just use the search to start whatever program I want.

the new Tree view in start menu is great as if you have many programs installed it eases things cause in previous windows if you had Many many Apps you would have many cascading menus and stuff going to 1 side of your screen and prolly many more depending on how many the application ya looking for had so now that it is gone it is much more usable as ya don't have that clutter that you used to and finding Apps is faster with Treeview as it is with the instant search built in the start menu.

The most annoying feature of Vista is UAC, but thankfully, you can turn it off.

I got a lot of prompts when I was setting up my system. Now when I am done & using it, I hardly see any. What annoyed me was when I downloaded some program using IE, it would block it ala XP-SP2, so I would be going through 2 prompts. That's either an oversight or because they ported the same IE back to XP. :unsure:

I was so excited about this OS, but the more I use it the more I hate it. UAC is probably the worst decision MS ever made. It friggin assaults you at every turn. If this isnt modified or altogether dumped in a service pack itlll be the best thing that ever happened to Apple.

The explorer is horrible now. Why are the a zillion friggin panels and that friggin bread crumb bs. Ugly mother f'n teal folder icons to the left of me, details to the right and below, Im stuck in the middle again!! Does anyone at MS have any contact at all with average humans? Ive never seen such a terrifiying example of overkill in my life. Get it all out of my f'n face!

MS you've got a problem here.

Oh please. You gotta be kidding me. UAC is an insult to everyones intelligence.

Same here. Id call the UAC overdeveloped tho. Its like the developers locked them selves away for 5 years working on Vista and totally lost touch with reality.

that bread crumb feature is one of the more useful features... saves a thousand clicks

Sorry, but I can't find an annoying thing in Vista

Thank god for that, it would be horrible for them to fire you.

As for me, lots of bits here and there. The UI is starting to annoy me now and sometimes things just look so bloated, Im not saying the OS is bloated, its just the feeling it gives me. I still feel like Im using some kind of poor skinning app over the top of XP that is not really offering me anything apart from the hassle of changing the way I use the system. I never missed 3.1 when I went to 95, same from 95 - 98, 98 to Millennium was required at the time for some of the features it offered over 98 and the move to XP was immediate as I couldn't wait to get the great new experience which Ive enjoyed now all this time. XP to Vista has been painful, Ive been dragged there and spend most my time wanting to come back and relax. Im looking forward to the next version, I hope we get more choices that this ugly as hell circle start button.

first off it is slow and I have 2 Gb of RAM and I have business and if my boss installed something and I try to uninstall that same something Vista tells me I don't have permission....I am an Enterprise Administrator and a machine administrator! that is frustrating to me :no:

There are a few things that really bug me in Vista;

1 - My (DVD) burner doesn't work in Vista, it just makes coasters now not sure why.

2 - My games run noticeably slower (but at least Half-Life 2 works now, cause it stopped working in XP for months).

3 - Programs randomly crash for no real reason.

Over all it isn't that bad, 98% of my hardware worked with Vista out the box, only the Bubblejet, my DVD Burner and possibly my Scanner (haven't tested it yet) don't work. Poor game performance will be due to dodgey display drivers and SuperFetch (I've read SuperFetch can cause choppiness in games) luckily my GPU is still supported by Nvidia in Vista so in time better drivers will be released and adding some more RAM in will probably help too. My Bubblejet will never work in Vista as Lexmark won't supply a Vista driver for that model, however, the Laser worked out the box so I'll live.

Vista definitely still needs work and hopefully by SP1 we will see some noticeable improvements. That said though, I won't be rushing to reinstall XP, as I've said some stuff doesn't work or only half works but overall the OS is quite usable and I can manage till drivers support improves.

To the people still on the fence about upgrading to Vista, you are probably better off waiting till SP1 but if you decide to goto Vista now it'll be a little like Russian roulette, maybe Vista will work fine on your hardware, maybe it won't.

currently the most annoying stuff is:

1 lack of drivers

2 when i am copying AVI files from one hard drive to another, the system seems to freeze for a second or two (I notice that explorer's progress bar is active as if it is trying to update the preview of the AVI files) Its weird and all but I think the culprits are either the codecs or the drivers so I will just have to wait.

I hate the dumbing down. Period.

1) Have any of you noticed how when everything was under one window with different tabs in XP and earlier editions has now been blown out into many MANY different links. I find that disgusting. For example: you could adjust your display, the icons, the wallpaper etc. by one right click and tabs from there on. Now, there is a link for display, a link for icons, a link for wallpaper... Maybe next windows will have a little midget running around the screen teaching me how to point :) Sorry small people...

2) WTF happened to the defragment software???????????????????????

3) UAC (I am still debating if this is good or bad... I still have it on... but that could change VERY soon)

3) UAC (I am still debating if this is good or bad... I still have it on... but that could change VERY soon)

I have it on. I had to switch it off during the first few days until I installed all the crap. I also had to spend a few hours setting up permissions properly (my home directory for example is writable/readable and owned by me). Now UAC does not complain that much :)

The HDD trashing really starts to rev up right after I install a program. It will just trash for about five minutes then settle down.

Wasn’t ClearType designed specially for LCD displays? I've never seen ClearType look any good on any CRT display on any operating system.

That is a Mozilla problem. Can't you just use Internet Explorer to view that site until the issue is corrected?

Hardly Vista's fault if Creative can't get it together.

Yes but ClearType is enabled by default, and the setting to disable it is buried in Windows Color and Appearance > Open classic appearance properties > Effects. It took me a while trying to find how to disable it before I finally decided to search on Google. Which brings up another annoyance, the way in which the control panel is organized.

If you noticed in my last point I specifically said the compatibility/Creative driver issues were not the fault of Vista, because I knew if I hadn't someone would be eager to point out it's not Vista's fault, but you did so anyway.

Though, regardless if something is Vista's fault or not, they are still annoyances in Vista, which stays true to the subject title.

I hate the dumbing down. Period.

1) Have any of you noticed how when everything was under one window with different tabs in XP and earlier editions has now been blown out into many MANY different links. I find that disgusting. For example: you could adjust your display, the icons, the wallpaper etc. by one right click and tabs from there on. Now, there is a link for display, a link for icons, a link for wallpaper... Maybe next windows will have a little midget running around the screen teaching me how to point :) Sorry small people...

Amen, and dumbing things down is not necessarily bad because it can be implemented well, like on a Mac. Maybe in the next version of Windows they will allow the user to select between a novice and advanced mode (similar to VLC and some other wares).

I dislike the need for all of the panels, or dumbing down of options and settings; most users aren't that stupid and I could just see it confusing new users. MS really should've taken a page from Apple, changing settings in OSX (using default settings) is a breeze. With Vista, it just seems like one panel just leads to another, and another, and so on.

Windows Search and Defender aren't that good, especially Defender, but I guess that MS needed something to compete with Spotlight.

Explorer is good for the most part, but removing the Copy to..., Move to... panel drives me nuts, the shortcuts are handy, but removed one of the greatest features. Removing the image toolbar in IE bugs me too, not only was it removed, but there is no option to add it.

UAC is fine, I rarely see it, unless I'm making a system change, but it could use some further refinement.

The Games menu is annoying too, you can hide icons, but not delete them.

Okay I'm about to cry now. I tried installing FEAR Combat and all that happened was really loud thrashing of the HDD for 3.5 minutes, finally it got to the installation screen and then poof, it vanished. :cry:

Oh yay, now as I'm typing this more loud thrashing out of nowhere, and it's still going... and going... and going... and going... and going... I had even disabled search indexing! In the task manager (show all user processes) nothing is using more than 1% CPU. What the heck is doing this?

I'm frustrated, and I officially hate Windows Vista right now.

EDIT: It's been five minutes since I wrote this. The thrashing has gotten even louder. I'm using Process Monitor to try and see what is going on. Something called consent.exe is going absolutely nuts with a "ReadFile" operation.

Edited by Googintosh

Why do we need a recycle bin confirmation if we're already receiving a UAC prompt to delete it?... not to mention you'll often get 3 prompts... 1 from UAC, 1 from recycle and 1 from these are sensitive files are you sure.

I don't mind doing all 3 prompts since I delete program folders extremely infrequently, but its the logic behind it that bothers me.

When enabling the extra credentials feature for UAC (CTRL+ALT+DEL), first you continue using the regular prompt, then press continue that you'll hit CTRL+ALT+DEL (a second prompt), then you enter the sequence of CTRL+ALT+DEL. Why can't I just type the sequence as a confirmation or at the very least press continue then type the sequence and then enter the password or whatever, without having to deal with the extra dialog box.

press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC