Most annoying things in Vista

Don't get me wrong, I really like Vista. I even went ahead and installed it to my laptop using the 30-120 day grace period rather than waiting for my express upgrade discs. But the most annoying feature may very well cause me to go back to XP.

When I close my laptop the display turns off (as it should), but when I reopen the laptop the screen is black. Nope I can't do a damn thing. I have two choices from this point:

A. put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up

B. restart the whole computer

I have similar problems on my desktop computer, but I can just turn the display off and back on again, not nearly as big a problem as this is. How useful is a laptop if you can't close it?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Vista. I even went ahead and installed it to my laptop using the 30-120 day grace period rather than waiting for my express upgrade discs. But the most annoying feature may very well cause me to go back to XP.

When I close my laptop the display turns off (as it should), but when I reopen the laptop the screen is black. Nope I can't do a damn thing. I have two choices from this point:

A. put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up

B. restart the whole computer

I have similar problems on my desktop computer, but I can just turn the display off and back on again, not nearly as big a problem as this is. How useful is a laptop if you can't close it?

I used to have a problem like this years ago when XP first came out. It turned out that the mobo manufacturer needed to release an up-dated BIOS. I wish the current mobo makers would be faster in releasing updated BIOSs for Vista!

I have Vista running on my 2Ghz Celeron laptop with 384Mb ram and intel 845 graphics. It's just as fast as XP for me. Of course I'm using classic and all the animations turned off, but I did the same thing in XP. I wonder why so many people think it's slow, maybe it's because I installed then went to sleep, letting the indexer run over night and finish it's initial index and some people are jumping right n, I don't know.

Anyway the only somewhat annoyance is that the Holdem' poker game rocks, but it kills my CPU. It's a great game but wasn't meant to run on such low specs.

• 3 weeks later...
Too many to list. And yes, I have it on a pc at work to test the many business apps that fail to work.

Outside of work, I'll probably never use it. I for one like an OS that doesn't require me to buy new hardware (I.E, scanner, tv card - neither will work in Vista) and even if the driver does come out, the required encryption on every device driver would only bog it down.

I'm curious if anyone has managed to rip a cd or dvd in Vista - without the DRM. That, in itself, is the number one reason I stay clear of Vista.

My tv card and AIO printer/scanner work fine without driver updates, and i have successfully ripped both a cd and dvd.

@franzon: Please just stop your senseless M$ fanboy-ing. FYI, I've began ignoring your posts.

I hate the dumbing down. Period.

1) Have any of you noticed how when everything was under one window with different tabs in XP and earlier editions has now been blown out into many MANY different links. I find that disgusting. For example: you could adjust your display, the icons, the wallpaper etc. by one right click and tabs from there on. Now, there is a link for display, a link for icons, a link for wallpaper... Maybe next windows will have a little midget running around the screen teaching me how to point :) Sorry small people...

2) WTF happened to the defragment software???????????????????????

3) UAC (I am still debating if this is good or bad... I still have it on... but that could change VERY soon)

I have to agree with you totally on the dumbing down portion. The last time I mentioned this, I got loads of fanboy-ing from franzon here.

If you still want a defragmenter tool with some sort of indicator, try JKDefrag. Not as pretty as the tool in XP but it'll do.

Yeah, the customized views issue was something I noticed back in beta and they never did fix it. I hate the lack of a standard toolbar and the live thumbnail/icon updating makes the interface appear slow and jittery. I find the whole interface to be exhausting and I honestly feel relaxed after logging into my xp system.