• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Poll] London Olympics.

leesmithg    226

I was not happy that Great Britain won the right to host the 2012 Olympic games in East London England.

It was an excuse to regenerate the area, which should have been regerated many years ago and no excuse should be made for that not to have happened.

I remember the bo-bo the Labour government made of the Millennium dome & rebuilding Woolwich and Greenwich roads and streets.

It cost 10 times the budget.

The Scottish parliament building, was supposed to be 50,000,000 ending up being 431,000,000.

Wembley Stadium, still not finished and costing millions more than it should have been.

Just some examples.

So 10,000,000,000 is what it is going to cost, yes 10 billion pounds, thats nearly 20 billion dollars.

This for an Olympics.

We have just finished paying Canada and the USA for helping us out during world war 2.

Montreal hosted the Olympics in 1976 and they are still paying for it.

The British government cannot do anything right.

I don't see why I should as a tax payer pay towards an event I would not be able to take my family to see, due to cost, even though I live 40 miles away.

I think we will be looking at 15,000,000,000 cost, thats a lot of new schools, hospitals, youth clubs, social housing etc to be created.

What do you think?

edit, I did put a poll and it didn't save, my error I guess.

MightyJordan    7,967

I was very happy when I heard that London won the Olympics. But now, I'm regretting this myself. London isn't the ideal place to host it. I don't think the Olympic Comittee have seen how much of a shitehole London is. Manchester would have been a better place, as they did host the Comonwealth Games a few years ago.

mad_onion    13

i does seem as though the government didnt expect us to win, the whole thing seems to be poorly planned. i think it will be funny to see what happens tbh, and by it being in london it makes in really easy for me to go to which is good.

Laura    147

I would much rather we didn't have it. I don't understand why the whole cost of each games is footed by the host country. There should be a contribution from all countries who participate - many of them will never host an Olympics themselves.

It is not fair on taxpayers and London council tax payers in particular. In London people are being forced to pay for something that will most likely make their lives hell while it happens (all those extra people). I doubt they will benefit much at the end of it all. The number of people who regularly exercise and use sports facilities is a minority.

I am not against stuff like this, and international stuff - but our schools, military, NHS, public transport sh*t are falling apart. On top of the cost of the Iraq war we can not afford this.

I wouldn't trust a member of this government with ?50 and a shopping list. They would go to Harrods and I'd end up with ?500 debt. They are a bunch of bungling idiots. @mad_onion : they don't plan anything.

I despise this government. Can't wait to see the back of their idiocy.

Vice    1,593

I live in North London and I was happy about the Olympics coming in 2012 but after seeing your post I think this is a bad idea. The Olympics costs to much :s we should let another country host it.

david.    0
I was not happy that Great Britain won the right to host the 2012 Olympic games in East London England.

It was an excuse to regenerate the area, which should have been regerated many years ago and no excuse should be made for that not to have happened.

I remember the bo-bo the Labour government made of the Millennium dome & rebuilding Woolwich and Greenwich roads and streets.

It cost 10 times the budget.

The Scottish parliament building, was supposed to be 50,000,000 ending up being 431,000,000.

Wembley Stadium, still not finished and costing millions more than it should have been.

Just some examples.

So 10,000,000,000 is what it is going to cost, yes 10 billion pounds, thats nearly 20 billion dollars.

This for an Olympics.

We have just finished paying Canada and the USA for helping us out during world war 2.

Montreal hosted the Olympics in 1976 and they are still paying for it.

The British government cannot do anything right.

I don't see why I should as a tax payer pay towards an event I would not be able to take my family to see, due to cost, even though I live 40 miles away.

I think we will be looking at 15,000,000,000 cost, thats a lot of new schools, hospitals, youth clubs, social housing etc to be created.

What do you think?

edit, I did put a poll and it didn't save, my error I guess.

Would you kindly provide your sources?

acnpt    39
I wouldn't trust a member of this government with ?50 and a shopping list. They would go to Harrods and I'd end up with ?500 debt. They are a bunch of bungling idiots. @mad_onion : they don't plan anything.

Heehee nice.

I was happy about it, i just can't believe how much the overspend is!. An independant authority needs to be brought in to oversee the plans.

Most important thing now is that we get it right, and don't look like complete idiots when 2012 comes. Heck even greece etc managed to finish the preperations in time.

+M2Ys4U    97

leesmithg near on EVERY single post of yours that I see is trolling the government...

R-Flex    0

Here in Vancouver, I didn't want to get the 2010 Olympics. Anyone want it?

M.F.D.K    18

I live in East London and sadly i have to admit that the place looks like a big junk yard. I live five minutes away from where the olympics stadium and other sport arenas are suppose to be built but so far there nothing going on there, i don't see any preparations. The only thing thats really is booming here is the house prices, bloody mad i tell you.

Anyone interested on whats going on and what been prepared so far go to this website

http://www.glenigan.com/2012/