User Account Control poll

UAC on or off?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you have it set?

• On
    • Off

It was with lots of programs, winrar, firefox, even its OWN programs like IE7

I've never had a problem with IE7 prompting me with a UAC issue... unless what I was trying to download was an EXE file, as in self-extracing file. So... you were saying?

On my desktop that my girlfriend uses it's on. My work laptop it's off.

Here is my problem with it... this is how spyware and all that crap gets installed anyways, too many dialogs, that the user will just click through because they don't want to deal with it. They just click 'yes' and move on without actually reading. That's where UAC will fail, not because it's necessarily bad, but because most end-users are stupid.

And here's where no amount of security will ever save you. You just click 'ok' or 'accept' or 'allow'. You don't think, consider or contimplate. Now, why is Vista to blame for this? Why is UAC to blame for this? You can't save someone from their own ignorance, but you all seem to think that if Vista didn't do this, you could teach to world how to deal with it. But maybe, if you all followed through with your bleeding heart theologies... if you could just save one person....

So, I guess it's just better that the malware gets into your system immediately instead of having you click through a couple of times while the system is trying to warn you.

Good argument.

Yeah, but consider this: your browsing a site and UAC just pops up for "no good reason". It's spyware tryin' to install. You haven't downloaded anything; you haven't opened an app. Your just browsing. You'd press "Cancel" and the spyware wouldn't be installed.

<sarcasm>

Now, don't try to get to logical now. They won't understand logic.

</sarcasm>

totally agree with you here.. users will get so trained into just hitting yes to getting rid of the UAC window that when it really does pop up stopping an actual virus/spyware from running the user is so in auto pilot they just click whatever button get rid of it without really paying attention to the actual alert.

I see this all to often at work when the antivirus catches something in an email and they simple usher the alert box away then call me saying something popuped up but can't remember what it was.

I rather Vista protect all the RUN reg keys and stop .exe hooking into explorer.exe keys and all the other hidden methods that they can hook into the system so they are hidden and run on reboot.

Users will get trained to hitting 'yes' or 'allow' because the people complaining about UAC promulgate the falsifications that UAC is bad, useless, pointless and needs to be ignored.

It seems that no one is willing to point out that a UAC prompt is given to the user because a program wants or needs to be run as an administrator.

All we hear is that UAC is bad, distracting and sucks. No one is pointing out that the UAC prompt came up because the program wants to run with more permissions than the user that 'started' it has.

It's distracting... it's annoying.... That's all we hear.

But if it were a Linux bash script trying to elevate, you all would want to know.

There's a lot of discussion, but not a lot of votes.... hehe :)

whatever....

As of right now, 13 have it on, 16 have it off. wouldn't be the first time stupidity won. Heck, the Democrats won Congress and the House last election.

On. I had it turned off for a while but started getting really paranoid...

It's not a major issue after you've installed all your basic apps. It's almost a habit now for me to right click any sort of set-up file.