HD-LCD TV Help..... I'm stuck...

Cheshire Cat

Hey peeps.

In about 3 - 4 months I'm going to be wanting to buy a HD-LCD TV, a couple of months or so later I'm going to want an X-box 360, then a Ninty Wii (if I can get one) :D I will be wanting to plug my PC into the TV (I have this graphics card) and I will get a component Cable for the Wii.

I understand that soonish there may be an upgraded x-box 360 with a HDMI port and cable with in built HD-DVD support, I also hear that fairly soon the Wii will come with dvd playing ability so I may or may not want a DVD player of some sort.....

So can any of you point me to a good HD-LCD please?

I need/want a screen between 26 - 40 inches or there abouts, preferably a 1080p if possible (I understand thats the best) and it'll need to connect to everything (PC, X-box 360, Wii and maybe DVD player) with no annoying wire swapping if possible and with all electronics performing to their best.....

All for around ?600 to ?900?

bangbang023

If you're looking to buy in 3 or 4 months, the models we tell you now will be useless. New models should start hitting shelves next month. At this point, you should wait and see. I'll hopefully be involved in the process of putting each and every set on display, so that should give me a nice understanding of each set's pros and cons.

Cheshire Cat

Okay :D Cheers Bangbang023 :)

Nick Sheldon

If it's any use.

I just bought the Toshiba 32WL66.

Great set, and am well happy with it.

Pretty much future proofed with 2 HDMI inputs.

Edited by Yakkob

Waylander

is that a 1080p set though? while i dont have that one recently i have been looking a lot for my father (he want a 1080 set) and i couldn't see any 32" ones, about the cheapest i found was the Sharp LC37XD1E which looks quite nice for ?1200 although the Philips 37PF9731d seemed to have a lot more features (and cost ?300 more).

while any of the current 1080p models are be over your budget right now in 3-4 months i guess they will cost less and even if they are still to much there are still some very nice 720p telly's.

ew2x4

1080p at 32" is useless. you won't notice it.

Nick Sheldon
1080p at 32" is useless. you won't notice it.

It's 720p

Digitalx

32" you will only get 720p afaik. 42" LCD with 1080p is rare to find but it is possible i think i remember bangbang say sharp made one or something that support 1080p but anything under 42" is useless cause there's no difference besides higher resolution. Anything 32" and under with 720p is just as good of quality.

sharpy2k4

i have a samsung le2674bdx (yes available in the UK) and it is great. had it nearly a year and have connected the 360, xbox, dvd player AND pc up and they all work fine. i suggest seeing if theres a newer version of this coming out, samsung is a very good make, and my mate has a 26" sony set, and thats pretty good too!

Cheshire Cat

I know that 720p is better at smaller sizes, but I would prefer a 1080p because I understand the x-box 360 does up to that definition :yes:

I just wanna get as much quality as possible out of it and as I want to plug my PC into it, I would prefer a higher res. For my PC res I use 1280x1024, so a 1080p would go better for that, although obviously my graphics card would get pushed more by that :)

bangbang023

The problem is, you're paying more for no real benefit. I would almost never recommend 1080p at such a small size. You'd have to be about 3 - 4 feet away to notice any difference and even then it would be minute.

Joel
I know that 720p is better at smaller sizes, but I would prefer a 1080p because I understand the x-box 360 does up to that definition :yes:

Not on all connection types, it doesn't. So now you're looking for the impossible-to-find 1080p 32" LCD with a DVI input.

Seriously, there's no benefit.

BGM

sorry to thread hijack.. but i need to get 32" LCD in the next week or so for my PS3

i was going to get a Samsung LE32R74BDX primarily due to its 'game mode'

anyone have any thoughts on this?

regards

Cheshire Cat

^http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/06/04/Samsung-LE32R74BDX-32in-LCD-TV/p1

Seems to be good, from what little I know

I would be wanting the best possible choice of cables/connections for each item being plugged into the TV..... If I did get an x-360 with HDMI (if they do get made/released and its not just some fanboy drooling) would it do 1080p?

If it did what would be the minimum size you guys would recommend for 1080p?

I understand that the Wii is not a powerhouse and can only really do 720p (?) through a component cable, so on that side I only need a 720p TV. However, I also want my PC running into the TV, so wouldn't the higher resolution be better even on a smaller size?

I am only really going to wanting a 32" or there-abouts because of space issues, would a 720p really be good enough?

Nick Sheldon
^http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/06/04/Samsung-LE32R74BDX-32in-LCD-TV/p1

Seems to be good, from what little I know

I would be wanting the best possible choice of cables/connections for each item being plugged into the TV..... If I did get an x-360 with HDMI (if they do get made/released and its not just some fanboy drooling) would it do 1080p?

If it did what would be the minimum size you guys would recommend for 1080p?

I understand that the Wii is not a powerhouse and can only really do 720p (?) through a component cable, so on that side I only need a 720p TV. However, I also want my PC running into the TV, so wouldn't the higher resolution be better even on a smaller size?

I am only really going to wanting a 32" or there-abouts because of space issues, would a 720p really be good enough?

If you're in the UK and after an LCD then go here:

www.digitaldirect.co.uk

I ordered mine on Sunday, and received it Tuesday (?501 inc.delivery).

I cannot find it cheaper anywhere on the net.

I'm just letting you know that I had a good experience with them.

sharpy2k4

like i said earlier, that samsung tv is really really good quality. does 720P which imo the 360 looks amazing and as others have said you wont really notice difference between 1080p and 720p at that distance and size.

the 26" and the 32" are both excellent models and the picture quality is pretty dam good, i use the game mode and it looks pretty dam amazing =D

Joel
I understand that the Wii is not a powerhouse and can only really do 720p (?) through a component cable, so on that side I only need a 720p TV.

Wii is 480p.

bangbang023
Not on all connection types, it doesn't. So now you're looking for the impossible-to-find 1080p 32" LCD with a DVI input.

Seriously, there's no benefit.

360 doesn't use DVI. It uses VGA. That's available on most sets.

Si
as I want to plug my PC into it, I would prefer a higher res. For my PC res I use 1280x1024, so a 1080p would go better for that, although obviously my graphics card would get pushed more by that :)

If this is for your desktop - would 1080i not be enough?

bangbang023
If this is for your desktop - would 1080i not be enough?

LCD's don't do 1080i. 720p or 1080p for sets in this size range.

Joel
360 doesn't use DVI. It uses VGA. That's available on most sets.

Ah, right. My mistake.

dnast

Also, the 360 does do 1080p on both of the HD-capable cables (VGA and Component). It just doesn't upscale DVD's over component.

Still, finding a 1080p 32" HDTV is a big enough problem alone.

FiB3R

So dose the 360 upscale DVD's to 1080p when using a VGA cable?

dnast

^ From what I've read, yes. My TV's only 720p so I'm not sure how great it upscales to 1080p. Looks just fine when it upscales to 720p, however, if that's any indication.

Nick Sheldon

Well, after playing BF2142 on my new Toshiba 32", I now want to get a 26" version just for my pc. The 32" is for the main room and watching tv. I just had to try it, and there was no ghosting whatsoever. So...

Can anyone here recommend a 26" comparable to this: Toshiba 32WL66 32" REGZA HD Ready LCD Television:

Link here: http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_mo...mp;ff=&ffi=

I'd buy another one of these, but 32" is a bit too big to be sitting close too.

Oh, and I don't want the Freeview tuner built in either. I don't live in a freeview area, and this tv would be just for the PC.

Cheers

EDIT: Just found this one...

Any good? http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/406113/art...#fichetechnique

I'm ready to buy right now...:)

Edited by Yakkob