Yet another redesign

Question

Greetings fellow neowin members, I've decided to redesign my webpage layout yet again and wound up with this:

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta/index.html

But there's a reason why I took this sudden direction. For one, I got bored of the orange color really quick and wanted to bring life back to my pages, so I changed the orange color to my favorite color green and I also changed the the red color to a nice blue color. As you may have noticed, I even changed my logo to reflect the changes that I made.

The page redesign is almost done and close to completion, but before I can finish my new web design, I need to know what you guys think of my new web design, feel free to post about it if you wish.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

24 answers to this question

2 HTML errors.

And instead of the table, float your navigation menu to the left and set a margin-left of that width + some on the content area. You'll get the same result.

I never would have thought there were any HTML errors left :blush:, I want to thankyou both for bringing it to my attention, now the HTML document is truly W3C compliant. ;)

Thankyou for pointing those out Primexx and JoeC! :thumbsup:

And thankyou Primexx for the "float left" suggestion as well, works out nicely. ;)

Test webpage has been updated to reflect these changes/fixes.

I think it looks really nice. Good job :)

I'm so happy that you like my page, good to hear. :D

I like it, not to fond of the shade of blue used in the rollovers though. ;)

Thankyou for mentioning the rollovers, I adjusted them a bit and made them lighter. ;)

OUCH MY EYES so bright

your use of colors needs to be changed

True, my use of color can get out of hand sometimes.

Please let me know if it's the saturation you're concerned about so I can fix it before I upload my webpages again. ;)

--------------------

Thankyou to all of you who've commented so far, it's making a great positive impact and helping me make a better webpage than I originally intended. Thankyou! ;) :yes:

I like the idea, very cartoonish - tho I do think the colours may be a little bit too bright as they made squint just a little bit!

Well done :)

nice design, how im getting 5 HTML errors here, just add alt="" to your image tags...

Thankyou for pointing that out nicholas-c, fixed now. ;)

I like the idea, very cartoonish - tho I do think the colours may be a little bit too bright as they made squint just a little bit!

Well done :)

Colours do seem a little bright, so I made two additional pages, one with saturation turned down to -16, and another with saturation turned down to -32. :D

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta2/index.html -16 saturation

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta3/index.html -32 saturation

Saturation is changed in the images that are green. ;)

Colours do seem a little bright, so I made two additional pages, one with saturation turned down to -16, and another with saturation turned down to -32. :D

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta2/index.html -16 saturation

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta3/index.html -32 saturation

Saturation is changed in the images that are green. ;)

Yes that's much better - especially 32 saturation! Still looks great but not so bright it hurts!

Great job :)

Yes that's much better - especially 32 saturation! Still looks great but not so bright it hurts!

Great job

WOW! The vector header is really nice!
I like the cartoon look aswell, however the top logo feels a bit unfinished somehow... Might just be me

Good job man

Thankyou all for the comments and suggestions, really appreciated. ;)

--------------------

I'm almost done, however, I further edited the index.html page some more and completely removed the "<table><tr><td>" tags. I also changed some bits to make it an XHTML document instead of a HTML document, "DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict" instead of "DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional".

Here is an XHTML version of my page, which uses the -32 saturation only:

http://www.foxframes.net/ff35beta-xhtml/index.html

Although, I'm not sure if I have to change the .html file extension. Please let me know if I have to change the .html file extension. =)

Again, thankyou everyone for all your help! ;)

Ok, now this site is really coming along nicely - the XHTML version is terrific and validates XHTML Strict 1.0.

Great move to get rid of tables and go pure CSS ;)

The next step is to strip out all of the CSS from within your index.html and reference it in a seperate style.css file or the like. It's quite simple really :)

Then validate your site for CSS. Currently it validates fine but there are a number of warnings you should look at correcting. Many of these should be fixed by using a seperate CSS file for all your CSS.

And no need to change the file extension from .html unless you plan on adding php or something to it.

Well Done :)

The webpage upgrade took place today, the upgrade is now complete!

Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions throughout this thread, it is greatly appreciated and has really made a difference! ;)

When I visit you site in IE6 (I'm at work we only have IE6 installed!) the nav panel appears on top of the main body of the site:

untitledvg7.th.gif

Leave a whole lot of white space on your site - unless this is intended for the use of banners or google ads or the like?

I'm not a web page designer, but it looks good to me. On a side note, I've been looking for how to add recycle bin to my computer since I installed XP on my MBP, and just by chance, I found it on your site. Thank you!

I'm not a web page designer, but it looks good to me. On a side note, I've been looking for how to add recycle bin to my computer since I installed XP on my MBP, and just by chance, I found it on your site. Thank you!

Thankyou for visiting my webpage, and glad to hear you find my recycle bin tweak useful. ;)

When I visit you site in IE6 (I'm at work we only have IE6 installed!) the nav panel appears on top of the main body of the site:

(GIF Image)

Leave a whole lot of white space on your site - unless this is intended for the use of banners or google ads or the like?

I never would of thought that this would happen in IE6, so I went back and fixed up a few more bits. :blush:

Now my webpage should show up correctly in IE6. Thankyou for pointing that out piXelatedEmpire. ;)

Edit: Sometimes, for some strange reason, if I try to validate the css in any .html file with the css validator, I would get this error:

--------------------

CSS

Validator

Error

Target: *http://www.foxframes.net/aboutme.html*

I/O Error: Stream closed.

--------------------

I wonder what this means? :blink:

Edited by Pegasus124