Windows Media Centre - upscale dvd's automatically?

Like the title says.

Will a media centre pc, upscale dvd's automatically through the software?

• 4 weeks later...
Bump!

I'd like some info on this too, if anybody knows.

Thanks

Pretty much any PC can upscale DVDs; it's a software (not hardware) capability issue. Having Windows Media Center (especially MCE 2005 + both HDTV Update Rollups, Vista Home Premium, or Ultimate) moves it from high probability to certainty. The real question is what is your playback *target*? Your PC's display? An auxilliary display (such as a TV)? If you are talking about playback onto the PC's own display, then you're all set right now (as long as you have a 17" or greater display, regardless of type, that has a maximum resolution of at least 1280x720 (720p)). If you are talking about a secondary display (such as a TV), *then* you are talking about hardware capability; even then, all you need is a dual-head display and a DVI-I/HDMI cable. Dual-head display cards are available in PCIe, AGP, even PCI-bus *flavors* today (if you have a new PC, chances are you may even already have one), so adding such a card (if you need to) is far from rocket-science.

I'm not sure if Media Centre does this out of the box, I know people have experimented with using ffdshow in Media Centre to improve the playback quality of DVD's in Media Centre.

Best place for Media Centre advise is www.thegreenbutton.com I think they have some of the MS guys post there once in a while about Media Centre