Rearranging my home theater connections

Hi guys, I need some setup help. I've had Magnolia guys setup my system, but I'm making changes now and have a few questions.

If someone can help me organize my audio and video inputs I would really appreciate it.

Here's my situation:

Currently I have XBox/PS2 connecting to Denon AVR-1906 through some splitter they setup

Denon DVD-1920 connected to Pioneer Elite 1130HD with HDMI for picture and optical to the above mentioned receiver.

XBox 360 w/ HD-DVD player connected to TV via component and audio to Denon receiver

and my PC media center connected to TV's D-Sub and white/red cable connected to the Denon receiver

Now at the moment, this is not optimal setup since I'm not getting full digital audio through PC and HD-DVD titles just sound weak (quality wise)

Now, I've decided to rearrange a few things, especially since I also got PS3.

I've decided to completely disconnect old XBox and PS2 and take out the splitter and all that crap.

So at this moment I want to optimally set up my following components with my Pioneer 1130HD and Denon AVR-1906

- XBox 360 w/ HD-DVD player

- PS3 Blu-Ray (it's the 60gb if that means anything spec wise)

- Still want to keep the Denon DVD player for excellent audio and video quality for regular DVDs and audio CDs

I'm hoping to make the setup so it utilizes everything to the max quality, meaning max optical audio quality, HDMI where possible, any XBox 360 upgraded cables w/ optical audio so it will make XBox 360 upscale DVDs as well and be able to game from the PC as well since the graphics card is 7800GTX 512mb w/ DVI output.

The problem I have is also that there's only 1 D-Sub allowing only to connect either PC or XBox 360 with those hi-def VGA cables.

Can someone look at the specs of my equipment and please help me out on how to set this up in the best way. I would really appreciate it.

I guess what I was thinking is to possibly connect PS3, XBox 360 and DVD via optical inputs on Denon receiver (says 3x optical in) and use HDMI for DVD, component for PS3 video, DVI-to-HDMI connector for PC and maybe VGA HD AV cable for XBox 360 to D-Sub of the TV.

Quick specs for inputs on Pioneer 1130HD:

Component Video x 3 (2 rear / 1 front)

A/V Composite x 3 (2 rear / 1 front)

S-Video x 3 (2 rear / 1 front)

2x HDMI

Quick specs for inputs on DENON receiver:

6 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) Rear

6 x Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2) - Rear

1 x SPDIF input (TOS Link) - Front,

2 x SPDIF input (TOS Link) - Rear,

2 x SPDIF input (RCA phono) - Rear,

9 x Speakers output (Banana/spade x 2) - Rear,

3 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear,

2 x S-Video output (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear,

1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front,

2 x Composite video input (RCA phono) - Rear

Possible VGA HD cable for XBox 360 connectivity with optical cable as an add on?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemse.../vgahdcable.htm

DVI to HDMI cable for PC connecting to TVs HDMI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16882155026

Cheers.

P.S.

If anyone could help me with some problems I keep having with Denon DVD player (DVD-1920) and upscaling regular DVDs to 1080i on my Pioneer Elite 1130HD, I would really appreciate it. Here's the problem:

When I set the DVD to 720 upscaling the image looks significantly better then 480p of course, but when I click on 1080i upscaling, I see some weird interlaced video (it's not really completely destroying the video, but you can see the video playback as interlaced and not smooth like I see it with 720p upscaling).

This is completely weird, Magnolia guys told me, that this might be because Denon DVD player is not really compatible with Elite 1130 but I find that hard to believe. Could it be the type of HDMI cable I'm using that is affecting this or should I look for a solution in something else? Thank you!

You really shouldn't be able to tell that the video is interlaced. Either your mind is seeing something that's not there or you're not describing the problem correctly, because, no matter what, that set will only display a progressive image.

You really shouldn't be able to tell that the video is interlaced. Either your mind is seeing something that's not there or you're not describing the problem correctly, because, no matter what, that set will only display a progressive image.

Oh yes, the problem is there, I just looked at it last night again. When I switch to 720p on DVD the movie looks great, as soon as I switch to 1080i the text has jagged edges and and on the video you can see subtle lines (as interlaced). I know it shouldn't be like that as 720p looks great but 1080i seems to have problems.

I would use the 2x HDMI Connections DVD player, and your PS3. Use component for the 360, and for the PC use the D-Sub.

for Audio does your PC have a 5.1 card if so it should have a digital output to hook into your reciever.

Oh yes, the problem is there, I just looked at it last night again. When I switch to 720p on DVD the movie looks great, as soon as I switch to 1080i the text has jagged edges and and on the video you can see subtle lines (as interlaced). I know it shouldn't be like that as 720p looks great but 1080i seems to have problems.

Then run it at 720p. It seems as though the player isn't handling the higher resolution well.

I would use the 2x HDMI Connections DVD player, and your PS3. Use component for the 360, and for the PC use the D-Sub.

for Audio does your PC have a 5.1 card if so it should have a digital output to hook into your reciever.

I need to use VGA cable for XBox 360 so it can upscale regular DVDs to 1080i as well. It won't do it with composite cables. PS3 doesn't do it any way you look at it for now and I don't really need HDMI as my Elite Plasma is 1080i.

Then run it at 720p. It seems as though the player isn't handling the higher resolution well.

Well that's the point, this DVD player won great reviews and a lot of people are running it at 1080i when watching movies. I don't understand what seems to be the problem with mine. Could it be the quality of HDMI cable?

Edited by Boz

I need to use VGA cable for XBox 360 so it can upscale regular DVDs to 1080i as well. It won't do it with composite cables. PS3 doesn't do it any way you look at it for now and I don't really need HDMI as my Elite Plasma is 1080i.

Well that's the point, this DVD player won great reviews and a lot of people are running it at 1080i when watching movies. I don't understand what seems to be the problem with mine. Could it be the quality of HDMI cable?

If the DVD player won great reviews for upscailing... wouldnt you use that for your primary DVD player instead of the xbox??... that would free up the need to use the vga cable.... also keep in mind not all TVs handle the DVI to HDMI cable so well... i tried doing the same thing because my tv's dsub only supported 1280x1024 resolution...

God, I'm an idiot and then some. I didn't realize you called the set "1080i". While it accepts a 1080i signal, you set is 720p. That's why the Denon at 1080i is giving you issues. The TV is scaling the image back down to 720p. Just switch the Denon to 720p and save your player and TV extra scaling work.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this sooner.

God, I'm an idiot and then some. I didn't realize you called the set "1080i". While it accepts a 1080i signal, you set is 720p. That's why the Denon at 1080i is giving you issues. The TV is scaling the image back down to 720p. Just switch the Denon to 720p and save your player and TV extra scaling work.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this sooner.

So what i see in 720p is the best I can get? The res on this Elite is 13xx x 7xx something...so it's 720p right?

The res on your set is 1280 x 768, I believe, which is 720p, so, yes, the 720p display is the best you can get.

But I don't understand it says:

Display capability: 720p, 1,080i

and XBox 360 runs at 1080i just fine with super sharp image.

It accepts 1080i, but converts it to it's native resolution of 720p. All flat panel sets have a native resolution defined by the number of pixels physically on the set. No matter what signal you pump in to that beauty, the internal scaler will resize the image to a resolution of 1280*768. So, even when you feed in a 480i feed, you're technically watching it in 720p resolution, though the scaler can only do so much for it.

It accepts 1080i, but converts it to it's native resolution of 720p. All flat panel sets have a native resolution defined by the number of pixels physically on the set. No matter what signal you pump in to that beauty, the internal scaler will resize the image to a resolution of 1280*768. So, even when you feed in a 480i feed, you're technically watching it in 720p resolution, though the scaler can only do so much for it.

Thanks for clearing things up. I understand now.

Oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to get the 1080p version now. I saw new Elite 50" at 1080p and the new Panasonic 65" at 1080p..I'll make the switch in the near future probably and mostly because of PC gaming, BF2 on 1920x1080 has to look spectacular and full 1080p games on XBox 360 and PS3 must be awesome :rolleyes:

Even if your TV supported 1080i, 720p would still look better.

Thanks for clearing things up. I understand now.

Oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to get the 1080p version now. I saw new Elite 50" at 1080p and the new Panasonic 65" at 1080p..I'll make the switch in the near future probably and mostly because of PC gaming, BF2 on 1920x1080 has to look spectacular and full 1080p games on XBox 360 and PS3 must be awesome :rolleyes:

1080p is good for now...until 2160p/whatever its called. :o