Zodiac (2007)

What no thread yet? Watched it last night, great movie! Some of the murders were portrayed very nicely. What I mean by nicely is very brutal. But David Fincher does a great job bring the 60's and 70's back, and he does an excellent job with the pacing of the movie. Pointing out all facts and not being very biased.

4.5/5

I liked it.

The most intriguing part of the movie was the fact that the Zodiac wondered who would be the actor who would portray him, and his wishes of being famous have been fulfilled. And yet, there was no definite answer as to who was the killer. Yes, they did give a conclusion on behalf of Robert Graysmith, but the final words gave an inconclusive feel to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, it's David Fincher! How could you not know it's released? :p

Me, I have to wait till august till it opens here. Might as well get the dvd.

David Fincher :huh:

Haha, Fincher=one of the best contemporary directors. He directed:

- Alien3, which I think is underrated though not as good as the first two. A lot of interference from the studio execs though.

- Se7en, one of the defining serial killer films ever.

- The Game, havent seen this one, I cant find the dvd.

- Fight Club, one of the defining films ever.

- Panic Room, good and very entertaining movie but pretty lite by Fincher's standards in terms of depth and plot.

His modern, stylish direction and visual styles are really extraordinary. Zodiac, set in the 60's or 70's, is kind of a departure for him I guess since all his other films are set in modern times. I dont doubt him though, his thrillers have been gold.

heh, no wonder ive never heard of him.

alien 3? c'mon

Se7en? eh...

The Game? Surprisingly good movie... the dvd is terrible quality...4:3... single layer... blah.

Fight Club? was good, but who cares now...

Panic Room? never seen it.

You do know there are widescreen and fullscreen dvds right? And I'm sure a lot of people still care about Fight Club and Seven. You're the kind of person who dismisses films just because the are older than 4 years?

And you've never heard of Fincher... :o

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the huge bump but I finally got around to watching this film last night, and all I can say is wow. This film was fantastic, I really wish I watched it sooner. I've tracked down a copy in HD and will be giving it another watch soon (Y)

The first time I saw this I had problems with it, particularly the flow of the film and it's slight lack of focus due to its length and the scenes jumping around with time lapses. The second time I loved it. It's astonishing how Fincher manages to cram so much detail in methological detective work and yet keep it interesting and damn well suspenseful throughout. All the more impressive is the fact that we all know the outcome beforehand, and yet it doesn't stop the film from presenting us with a great, great ending (the scene where the two people just look at each other in the face).

The cinematography, with digital work used extensively in a few scenes, is impressive. The mood of the 70s is recreated with perfection, aided by the very nice 70s-sounding score. Performances by the entire cast are strong. This was my 5th time watching it, and it's pretty amazing how the suspense and dread is still so evident. I think Seven is still Fincher's best, followed by Fight Club, but I now regard Zodiac as some sort of modern masterpiece.

5/5

Haven't seen Benjamin Button.