Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host

What is the purpose of SEARCHFILTERHOST.EXE? Can I disable it? It *loves* to try to communicate to microsoft and it's annoying me. :angry:

• 2 months later...

*bump*

Searchfilterhost.exe is part of the indexer. As for the outbound TCP connections: I've noticed that this usually happens when I save an image to my HD. It's saying "hello!" to clr.microsoft.com. Maybe Mr.Paddock can explain this behaviour. :shiftyninja:

Edited by jmc777

well, if you allowed it to search will send back usage info to microsoft about your experience. im guessing you can turn it off somewhere in control panel.

but im guessing the exe itself is imporant to searching. try turing it off and then searching see if it turns itself back on.

Not really sure why SearchFilterHost would be making any such connections, I'll have to ask around. SearchFilterHost is the locked-down process that hosts IFilters for extracting metadata and indexing file contents. Code run in that process has extremely limited access to the system (can't even read the filesystem). My guess is that whatever it is sending is probably SQM related. Possibly something to track which IFilters are used, especially to identify usage of incompatible filters (like Adobe PDF filters before version 8.0).