X-Box over normal VPN?

havent tried it but im skeptical about it. dont see how it can work if it is not recognized as a PC and therefore cant join the VPN

Yeah, but isn't a VPN controlled by modem language? I would think that you could probably fool the VPN into thinking the XBox was like a PC, via some boot CD.

I don't really know, but I would imagine it could be done. After all, we have products like VPC out on the market to fool the Pc into thinking it has various OS's.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to my own topic lol and btw thanks for everyone's feedback! The way I see it is x-box connect, x-box gateway, and the gamespy x-box stuff are all just creating a tunnel between the hosting computer and the client computers that allows the x-box to communicate through them just like they were connected on the same network. Someone correct me if im wrong but that just sounds like a broad definition of VPNs. You wouldn't need your x-box to be recognized as a PC bc when you connect to a VPN are netowork resources from that site are available to you just as if you were actually connected. Anyone see where im going with this? Well I do intend to try experimenting with this, but it might be awhile bc im realy busy lately. Any other thoughts\ideas from everyone are appreciated!

I don't see what a mod would have to do with running over a VPN at all really though. You don't need to change the way the x-box communicates with other x-boxes you just need to get it to run through a VPN tunnel which I believe would be changing things on the client\server PCs

wired knows what i'm talkin bout :D :D

yeah, I leave the vpn software running all the time on my win2k dedicated server. so I know what your talking about if I had an xbox, I would test it out and see if it worked, however I don't so I really can't help much.