Optimize XP for Dual Core

I thought i would create a little guide about optimizing dual core for Windows XP. As i just got one (core 2), I was doing research on how to make XP run as fast as possible with my new CPU. As many probably know that Windows XP does support dual core processors but it doesn't really optimize the operating system for it, nor does it really take advantage of the extra speed. But with a few steps, you can make sure you get the most of your multi core setups (as well as the Pentium 4's with Hyper Threading). There are separate things you must do.

1. For Intels

Little less work for us Intel users. All you had to do is download the hotfix from Microsoft which you can download here. This fix is not an automatic download via windows update.

Other languages can be found here.

German (DEU) - http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-deu.exe

English (ENU)- http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-enu.exe

Spanish (ESN)- http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-esn.exe

Portuguese (PTB)- http://www.fileplanet.com/172060/170000/fi...Brazilian-Patch

French (FRA) - http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-fra.exe

Italian (ITA)- http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-ita.exe

Dutch (DUT) - http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-dut.exe

Turkish (TRK)- http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_k...-v3-x86-trk.exe

1. For AMD users

AMD users have two options. First though, they must get the driver for their cpu, which can be found here. One you download that, make sure you restart your comp. Once that is installed you can install the microsoft hotfix from above or it is recommended you use the dual core optimizer from AMD, as this will later let you skip a step where you get dirty with the boot.ini file. The dual core optimizer can be downloaded from here. DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND USE both the Microsoft fix and the AMD dual core optimizer, reports say that it'll make your comp blue screen like crazy. Do either or, but do the AMD solution first. If the AMD solution gives you blue screens, go into safe mode (hit F8 during boot up) and uninstall it, then install the Microsoft hotfix.

After you do any of these updates (other then the AMD cpu one) DO NOT RESTART THE COMP, we have to do a couple of things first. So now it's time to get a little dirty.

2. Registry Tweaking

(k let's make this clear, the next two steps i take no responsibility, if you eff up your system that is your problem, but this DOES work, make sure you do exactly as I tell you)

Go to the registry edit via the run command. (Windows key + R---> type in "regedit"). Look for this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and then look for the key (or folder) named Throttle. If it's not there, right click Session Manager, go new and then Key. Name it Throttle. In there there should be a DWORD called PerfEnablePackageIdle make sure the value = 1. If not, make it say 1. If the key is not there, create it. Right click an area in that box, and go new DWORD. This will increase performance A LOT.

3. Boot.ini File

If you are AMD user and you used the AMD Dual Core optimizer this step is done for you :cool:. (lucky buggers) But for us intel guys, time to get a little dirtier.

We need to add /usepmtimer to end of the your boot value.

(note your boot value make look different from mine mainly because i have done changes to mine, but no matter what, make sure that value is there somewhere, mines in the middle of it by default, but for the sake of this tutorial i put it at the end)

To get to your boot.ini file right click "My Computer"--->Properties--->Advanced--->Settings(under Startup and Recovery)--->Edit

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=GEKOSS /Kernel=TUKernel.exe /usepmtimer

So do it like that. Now restart your computer and you'll be good to go :).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your sceptics out there, check out this review of a sager laptop with the fix applied. Not only does it fix the games in this review, but a lot of the newer ones (such as HL2 or GRAW and the upcoming unreal tournament 3) this will give you a nice boost in performance.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...view=Sager+5760

Good Luck

I just did it on my machine w/ HT, and it kinda a mixed results, Its not Slower, but the UI speed up and so did the order of programs loading.

It used to load say: 1/2/3/4 now it will load, 2/4/1/3 I guess it had to do with how CPU intensive the program is.

since i'm an AMD user my boot.ini looks different than what you posted

[boot loader]

timeout=3

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

is that normal for AMD or do I need to modify it according to what you show?

matt

also, I do not need to install the MS Hotfix because I have AMD and used their optimizer? Reading Gophn's post I didn't get the impression he said not to do both. Plus I saw other MS updates. Can you explain further?

Matt

I just did it on my machine w/ HT, and it kinda a mixed results, Its not Slower, but the UI speed up and so did the order of programs loading.

It used to load say: 1/2/3/4 now it will load, 2/4/1/3 I guess it had to do with how CPU intensive the program is.

Just with the patch the UI Speeds up for me so theres no gaming performance or havnt tried gaming yet?

Just with the patch the UI Speeds up for me so theres no gaming performance or havnt tried gaming yet?

I don't Game.

[boot loader]

timeout=3

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

matt

You already have what he shows....

There is no point installing the hotfix for intel users. It is only supposed to solve the problem with AMD cpus that drop the multiplier to save power and causing a performance decrease when it doesn't increase the multiplier when needed.

[boot loader]

timeout=3

[operating systems]

matt

every boot file is different, just make sure you have the "/usepmtimer" at the end

There is no point installing the hotfix for intel users. It is only supposed to solve the problem with AMD cpus that drop the multiplier to save power and causing a performance decrease when it doesn't increase the multiplier when needed.

the hotfix does help for intel users.

and yes this helps cpus with Hyperthreading as well

it didn't make any noticeable difference for me (e6300) definitely didn't help me with playing NFS Most Wanted, not even with the set affinity to only CPU 0 trick. maybe an x1950xt will make a difference instead of a 9800xt

Intel's do that.

Anyway, i could notice a performance increase with it installed, after i reformatted i noticed windows was favouring one core over the other (e.g. one app is using 99% of one core, but it continues to run apps on that core, slowing them down)

Intel's do that.

Anyway, i could notice a performance increase with it installed, after i reformatted i noticed windows was favouring one core over the other (e.g. one app is using 99% of one core, but it continues to run apps on that core, slowing them down)

Yes, I know intel's do that. I have a core 2 duo e6600 cpu.

What I am saying is that the AMD cpus that drop the multiplier do not efficiently increase the multiplier once needed again, thus decreasing performance in some cases. This hotfix ensures the multiplier will increase immediately, instead of incrementally

so you're saying this really is a much more necessary patch for AMD users (like me X2 5200+) than the Intel user correct?

using just the AMD optimizer is all I need to do or do I also need to apply the ms patch? seems the amd takes care of that right?

matt

Has anyone else actually done this? Does it make a difference?

Last time I installed the AMD Dual core drivers my system BSOD'd on boot, so I'm quite reluctant to test it out.

You don't install the AMD driver if you don't have a AMD processor.

Anyway, I tried the tweaks suggested and it didn't (as far as I can tell) give a great, if any performance gain. It had no ill effects applying the tweaks though.

Has anyone else actually done this? Does it make a difference?

Last time I installed the AMD Dual core drivers my system BSOD'd on boot, so I'm quite reluctant to test it out.

I installed it at work for an X2 4600 I believe and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. But it didn't seem to crash the computer. From what I read at the link at the top of the page, BSOD's only really occurred if you installed the MS patch as well as AMD patch (not optimizer). So I would install the AMD patch and then the optimizer (as long as you are sure the MS patch hasn't been installed).

I am going to try this on my gaming pc and report back.

Hmmm. Dual core Pentium D here. Already installed the hotfix months ago, and my XP is pretty well tweaked and really flys, so wasn't expecting any discernible difference at all from steps 2 and 3, but, hmmm, maybe just my imagination, but I'm pretty sure a good second or two just got shaved off my bootup, and everything does seem just a little bit snappier now. Sweet. Thanks!

Just FYI, the reliability update that is being pushed to Windows Update for Windows XP users now that resolves 0xA and 0x1 blue screen errors includes a newer kernel than the one used in KB896256.

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.061219-0311 : Service Pack 2)

• 2 weeks later...
Just FYI, the reliability update that is being pushed to Windows Update for Windows XP users now that resolves 0xA and 0x1 blue screen errors includes a newer kernel than the one used in KB896256.

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.061219-0311 : Service Pack 2)

Hmm. So if I plug a fresh installed XP SP2 PC into the net, download all available updates on WU, then I won't need to apply this fix?

I'm somewhat confused as to whether I need to or not. I have a Core 2 Duo.

Been reading loads of stuff on the net about it, but the fact is, I can't determine whether or not I need to do some or all of the following:

1. Install KB896256 patch

2. Set "PerfEnablePackageIdle" to 1 in registry

3. Add /usepmtimer to Boot.ini

There doesn't seem to be a decisive answer, and some of the discussions go back to 2005. Especially with the latest kernel build now being higher on an uptodate XP box compared to one with KB896256 applied.

Confused :s