What is YOUR Vista boot time?

2 mins 4 seconds according to the Vista logs. That dosnt include the POST, but I have quick boot turned off for memory diagnostics and hard drive diagnostics.

From On to system idle.. about 4-5 mins. but then, I shutdown my PC once every few days so it's not an issue

If you stupidly disabled the ReadyBoost service, re-enable it because that service is also used for ReadyBoot feature

ReadyBoot:

Windows Vista uses the same boot-time prefetching as Windows XP did if the system has less than 512MB of memory, but if the system has 700MB or more of RAM, it uses an in-RAM cache to optimize the boot process. The size of the cache depends on the total RAM available, but is large enough to create a reasonable cache and yet allow the system the memory it needs to boot smoothly.

After every boot, the ReadyBoost service (the same service that implements the ReadyBoost feature) uses idle CPU time to calculate a boot-time caching plan for the next boot. It analyzes file trace information from the five previous boots and identifies which files were accessed and where they are located on disk.

It analyzes file trace information from the five previous boots and identifies which files were accessed and where they are located on disk. It stores the processed traces in %SystemRoot%\Prefetch\Readyboot as .fx files and saves the caching plan under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ecache\Parameters in REG_BINARY values named for internal disk volumes they refer to.

The cache is implemented by the same device driver that implements ReadyBoost caching (Ecache.sys), but the cache's population is guided by the ReadyBoost service as the system boots. While the boot cache is compressed like the ReadyBoost cache, another difference between ReadyBoost and ReadyBoot cache management is that while in ReadyBoot mode, other than the ReadyBoost service's updates, the cache doesn't change to reflect data that's read or written during the boot. The ReadyBoost service deletes the cache 90 seconds after the start of the boot, or if other memory demands warrant it, and records the cache's statistics in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ecache\Parameters\ReadyBootStats, as shown in Figure 2. Microsoft performance tests show that ReadyBoot provides performance improvements of about 20 percent over the legacy Windows XP prefetcher.

Edited by franzon

People have said that Vista CAN boot quicker than XP. But end of the day, the boot time is dictated by so much - drivers, configuration, hardware, network, etc.

its faster than XP.

10x faster...

I think im gunna video the got damn thing booting and show people how fast it is.

^^^ i guess thats why i thought it was gettign faster latley...

I went into to bios and relised that floppy was my boot prioty, i dont even have a floppy drive so i canged that and i've cut about 15 secs of the boot time im now sitting at about 45secs from pushing button till windows is in a usable state.

Right around the 30 second mark.

Man what does a machine like that run? Did you build it or buy it? If you bought it who from?

About 5 grand from parts off of Newegg. I built it by hand and thanks to some electrical tape I got 800 dollar chips for 500 :D

About 5 grand from parts off of Newegg. I built it by hand and thanks to some electrical tape I got 800 dollar chips for 500 :D

Impressive. You're the first person that I've ever encountered to run server cpus on a home system. Am i reading that right 8gigs of ram? How do the xeons compare to the core duos and quad 2 cores?

Impressive. You're the first person that I've ever encountered to run server cpus on a home system. Am i reading that right 8gigs of ram? How do the xeons compare to the core duos and quad 2 cores?

The cores are identical to the Core 2 Duo's cept a 1333FSB and Yes I have 8GB of ram. My Windows Experience Index is all 5.9 except for memory which is where a normal desktop will slaughter a Xeon - scores a 5.1. I dont game as hard as most people anymore and do a lot of design and such that I decided I needed a ton of horsepower. If you are an overclocker considering a quad core platform for games though a C2D QX6700 is where you need to be as it scales to a much higher frequency. I am waiting on systools for vista so I can o/c my system a bit more to about 2.7Ghz.

I'd say that it is faster then XP, but it will vary from PC to PC, lots of things come into play when you talk about boot time.

From hitting the power button, your POST to Windows Boot will be longer if you have it check other devices and then your bootdrive, (floppy/CD/DVD drive), Then you also have any RAID checks before that which add to it.

Once the Windows boot starts though, to the login screen should be pretty fast, now where it can go up and take longer is when you start the login process and you go to the desktop, if you have lots of apps starting up like IM clients etc, this just adds to your time before you can start using it freely. So as we've seen, some people have over 1min, while others have as low as 20-25sec. It just depends on lots of things.

"Bosaka's Rig: Dual Xeon 5320s @ 5345 - 2.33Ghz 1333FSB Stock Volts BSEL Mod|Kingston 667Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMMs 8Gb-2GBx4 Quad Channel|ASUS EN8800GTX|Supermicro X7DAL-E motherboard|300GB SATA (Raptor 150) RAID 0|1TB SATA Raid 5|1TB SATA NAS|Windows Vista Ultimate."

Drool...

I would guess my start time is around 30 seconds or so - much faster than XP on the same computer. I especially like that I don't have to wait for all the background tasks to load before using my computer.

I have been using server hardware for years... at the mo running a couple of opteron 265's with 4Gb of RAM... not as quick as Bosaka, but it would give it a run for its money :p

• 1 year later...

My Laptop Amilo PI 1505

Intel Centrino duo T2350 1.86Ghz 2MB cache

Intel 945 GM chipset

Intel 3945 abg wireless

Intel HDA audio ALC 883

Realtek Ethernet

RAM 2x512 @533MHZ DDR2

Vista Ultimate SP1

@boot time after fresh install 1:20 minutes

@boot time after Applying updates 2:05 minutes

@boot time after OEM drivers 1:30 minutes

@boot time after Intel drivers (I used Everest to show me my chipset and then gone to intel and got latest drivers as Fujitsu web site don't have latest drivers 35 seconds :)

@boot time after disable services i don't need and start ups leave only my nod32 and i disabled windows time .. firewall .. security center ..lots more .. varies from 20 sec up to 26 sec not every time the same

here is my memory use screen shot attachment

post-266800-1225744960_thumb.jpg

post-266800-1225745001_thumb.jpg

post-266800-1225745205_thumb.jpg

I just built a desktop and mine takes about a minute though I've never counted. How is everyone getting 30 second boot times?

My system specs:

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

ASUS P5Q-Pro Mobo

Intel C2Q Q9450 (2.66Ghz)

8Gb DDR2 PC-6400 800Mhz ram

640GB WD AAKS 7200RPM HDD

ATI Radeon 4870