Anyone here going to get the AppleTV

Just wondering if anyone has pre-ordered the thing or is thinking about getting one in the future.

Personally, I'm not. I have like no content from iTunes Store and don't have an HD TV :p

Im hoping for it to impliment PVR and a large hard drive before considering. It is not appealing at all at the moment.

I considered it but it's too overpriced, in my opinion. For me to buy it, it would need to be cheaper (~AU$350 at the most) with a much bigger hard drive (no less than 160gb); the reason being I don't want to only be able to access my media if my Mac is turned on; it's a waste of power and therefore money.

Not going to get it unless they open it up so you can play other media content. I don't buy anything from iTunes.
You can play content that hasn't been purchased from iTunes; as long as it is in an iTunes-compatible format.

I'd like one in a way, but I don't see the purpose if it only plays iTunes content. With an S-video cable and adapter I can play anything I have on my iMac.

I'd like one in a way, but I don't see the purpose if it only plays iTunes content. With an S-video cable and adapter I can play anything I have on my iMac.

Yeah, good old S-Video. I wouldn't buy one, 360 essentially does the same thing.

I am considering purchasing an AppleTV when they're available. I'd like to find out more information on their wireless capabilities.

Bah, I like to watch TV, but wouldn't have the time to watch it some more, so no for me... and it's old anyway, so why pay for new technology (even if it's 720p, let's say it's kinda new) that my TV won't even support. I'll keep this money for something else :p

Yeah, good old S-Video. I wouldn't buy one, 360 essentially does the same thing.

Maybe so, but the cable would be much cheaper for those of us without a 360 :laugh:

Hmm, this little Applescript claims to add any media to iTunes...maybe I do want an AppleTV :shifty:

Question

Does the AppleTV require a wireless router (Airport) to function wirelessly? Or does it have in-built wireless capabilities (to exempt the need for a router)?

I considered it but it's too overpriced, in my opinion. For me to buy it, it would need to be cheaper (~AU$350 at the most) with a much bigger hard drive (no less than 160gb); the reason being I don't want to only be able to access my media if my Mac is turned on; it's a waste of power and therefore money.

You can play content that hasn't been purchased from iTunes; as long as it is in an iTunes-compatible format.

Ah ic ic well thats not all too shabby then... I download podcasts in h.264 format. I'm pretty sure iTunes plays that. But a lot of other videos are harder to find in quicktime. Mainly avi.

Yeah, and if you can hook your tv up with that, then you can just use front row. There's no point in this if that's the case.

I'm waiting for them to ship product. People will hack the hardware. Show what's inside and see what its really able to do. I'm waiting before dropping $300.

When Apple bring TV & Movie downloads to the UK... and when I have "Imported" all these DVD's I own through Handbreak then Yes.

i wasnt going to....but im starting to think about it now: <a href="http://forums.<< filtered for offensive content >>/showthread.php?threadid=2391956&perpage=40&pagenumber=1" target="_blank">http://forums.<< filtered for offensive content >>/showthrea...mp;pagenumber=1</a>

edit: lets try this again: http://forums.something awful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2391956&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm waiting for them to ship product. People will hack the hardware. Show what's inside and see what its really able to do. I'm waiting before dropping $300.

I was thinking the same thing. I say give it about 2 months before someone figures a way to really make use of it.

I'm thinking about it since now theres a hack for it to run native Xvid/Divx 720p movies and I do have an Xbox360 but it doesn't play Xvid/Divx 720p Natively....

I'm thinking about it since now theres a hack for it to run native Xvid/Divx 720p movies and I do have an Xbox360 but it doesn't play Xvid/Divx 720p Natively....

i am going to wait about a year but yeah i will probably pick one up since they have found a way to install other codecs.