New 360 with old hard drive

I bought my current 360 in late December and over the last week it has frozen a few times. I fail to see how it's heat related because one, the area the 360 is in is completely open and two, I have my patio door open when I play and it's near freezing outside so there's plenty of cold air coming in.

So I'm just wondering, has anyone else used a hard drive from their 360 and attached it to another 360?

I'll be exchanging my current 360 soon for a new one but I'll be keeping my current hard drive so I can keep all my downloads, game saves, etc. Is there any reason this won't work? Are there any problems I may encounter?

Any chance it might be getting too cold?

Cold air can hit the 360 casing and might cause some moisture to build up in it over some time.

Cold air can hit the 360 casing and might cause some moisture to build up in it over some time.

Water on electrical circuits would equal nuclear implosion, not freezing... unless my understanding of science is incorrect.

I think heat is the culprit because it's freezing while paused and while playing. So I don't know how it's getting too hot but I would assume that's the problem.

Anyway, I'll be getting a new 360 this weekend and from what you guys have said, I see no reason why I can't just stick this hard drive on the new 360. I just wanted to hear from people who had done it before to be sure.

Alrighty, I've given the 360 a few extra days of testing before my 90 day return window runs out and I haven't encountered any problems other than the DVD drive not opening unless I press the open button 3 times.

Just to reiterate, are there any problems I may face when I bring home the new 360 and switch out the new hard drive with my current hard drive?

I think I'll return it tomorrow just to be safe. The DVD drive not always opening is bothering me.

Don't worry about HDD not working well in a replacement console. It's totally fine. The only problem you may encounter is your Xbox Live Arcade titles reverting to trial only unless you're logged into the account that purchased them. But I heard redownloading the games tends to fix that.

Alrighty then. I'll return it to be on the safe side.

I only have a few Arcade titles so I'm not too worried.

I'm on my 3rd console so you can trust me lol.

I'm almost done with this crap. The new 360 works fine and recognizes my hard drive but after I came home and unpacked it, I realize there's a big dent on the faceplate. That makes four 360s I bought from this place and each one has a problem.

I'm returning it for a refund and buying it elsewhere.

Thanks for the help anyway.

I'm almost done with this crap. The new 360 works fine and recognizes my hard drive but after I came home and unpacked it, I realize there's a big dent on the faceplate. That makes four 360s I bought from this place and each one has a problem.

where did you buy it?

Where do you think? Wal-Mart. :laugh:

Only reason I bought it there was because I knew their return policy would be less hassle than most other places. I was right but it's pretty ridiculous how many I've gone through. Now I'm going somewhere else.

When I bought it, the rumors about the new model and upgrades had started so I bought it at Wal Mart in case the new model came out. That way I could return it for a refund and purchase the new one.

I may end up doing that anyway but I'm buying it elsewhere.

I'm returning it for a refund and buying it elsewhere.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ouch, did you literally buy all four from there or were some of them returns/exchanges? I'm on my 5th 360, myself, but I couldn't imagine myself still owning one if I had to pay to replace the faulty ones I've owned.

To be honest, though, if they do have a good return policy I'd just ask them if they could simply replace your faceplate. I'd personally stick to a box that's working for me.

It all began with the initial purchase. I've only ever paid for the first 360. Every 360 after that was a brand new exchange at Wal Mart. Just brought mine in and walked out with a new one.

I was just going to get a new faceplate for free for this fourth 360 but I noticed the DVD drive was scratched on the inside and made a horrendous click every time it closed.

I didn't want to risk it so I just got a refund this time. I'll look around town for 360s with a more recent manufacturing date.

Don't worry about HDD not working well in a replacement console. It's totally fine. The only problem you may encounter is your Xbox Live Arcade titles reverting to trial only unless you're logged into the account that purchased them. But I heard redownloading the games tends to fix that.

Does it? Are you sure about that? I'm wondering because I plan on selling my current 360 and getting the new sku coming out, so I'll have to re-download everything and hope it activates to the new 360, otherwise, I'll have to be signed into my gamertag whenever I play any of my previously purchased games.

It's probably not good to run your system with door open so it's cold. The system is made to run inside yes some systems overheat but thats manufacturing problems, the cold outside is going to make any little bit of humidity inside your house turn into condensation and this will mess up your xbox very fast.

Ive heard soo much chrap from xbox 360's why cant it just work without overheating issues and all? Thats why I strongly stick to computer gaming.

Does it? Are you sure about that? I'm wondering because I plan on selling my current 360 and getting the new sku coming out, so I'll have to re-download everything and hope it activates to the new 360, otherwise, I'll have to be signed into my gamertag whenever I play any of my previously purchased games.

No, you'll have to be signed in to play the full version of previously purchased games. I've redownloaded plenty of games on a replacement 360 and I always have to be signed in to get them out of "trial mode". It can be resolved with a phone call (or three) to MS customer service, though. I've just been through too many 360s to bother with it, personally.

Ive heard soo much chrap from xbox 360's why cant it just work without overheating issues and all? Thats why I strongly stick to computer gaming.

I do both, the reason being the 360 has alot of games that are exclusive and its an awesome platform to play on. <GUITAR HERO 2> :D :D :D

I guess, everyone has ways of gaming, i prefer pc gaiming as most games are online and competitive keeping you hooked XD.