• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"speeding" ticket

recursive_action    0

So yesterday I got my first speeding ticket, which is absolutely bogus!

I was driving in light-medium traffic and there was a huge truck in the right lane with drywall in his bed. It didn't look very secure so I decided to pass him up by going into the left lane and accelerating to pass him. Then out of nowhere some hotshot cop who looked like he just stepped out of the set of Reno911 pulls me over and tells me I was goin 70, which was "way too fast" (the speed limit is 65 btw) even though I was just passing a guy.

If i fight this, what are my chances? Would he just not even show up or would this be a bit tougher?

samg    2

i know in the UK they cant class you as speeding unless its over 10% + 2MPH of the speed limit. Hell, the speedo on my car is 10%. so at 65, youd have to be going 73.6MPH. Lookup the speeding law for your area/state.

v0ltage789    0

omg, another speeding ticket thread....

broke the law, pay the fine...and no it wasn't racial profiling...oh..wrong thread

Chad    0

I was driving in light-medium traffic and there was a huge truck in the right lane with drywall in his bed. It didn't look very secure so I decided to pass him up by going into the left lane and accelerating to pass him. Then out of nowhere some hotshot cop who looked like he just stepped out of the set of Reno911 pulls me over and tells me I was goin 70, which was "way too fast" (the speed limit is 65 btw) even though I was just passing a guy.

If i fight this, what are my chances? Would he just not even show up or would this be a bit tougher?

No chance, at least in the US. It doesn't matter what caused you to speed, the bottom line is that you were. If you cannot pass a vehicle without speeding, it is unlawful to do so.

Is there such a place in the US where 2-lane highways are 65mph?

tmjoyce    1

Ok you werent done by speed camera. Did he do you for speeding or dangerous driving. with regards to Gatso's Pace guide lines state +or - 10% but it wasnt a camera. If it was a car following you even if your arguement is valid the police/courts wont accept it - they want your money (indirect tax) make them earn it. If the officer was folling you and stated you were speeding he would have to have been following you for a certain amount of time and have had to be videoing it to ascertain an average. Finalyy and most importantly he would have had to have CAUTIONED you for the OFFENCE of speeding (PACE guidelines again) not knowing if he's cautioned you, i'd still fight it!!

S7un7    3

Did he clock you on radar or was he going off of following you? I'm pretty sure in the US they have to follow you for 1/4 of a mile before they can pull you over. They are supposed to let you get away with +-5mph because every speedometer in every car can not be EXACT. My car I could really be going 63 but it shows 65 on the speedometer, and yours it could be 67 showing 65. I don't think you can use that legally though.

Good Luck.

samg    2
Did he clock you on radar or was he going off of following you? I'm pretty sure in the US they have to follow you for 1/4 of a mile before they can pull you over. They are supposed to let you get away with +-5mph because every speedometer in every car can not be EXACT. My car I could really be going 63 but it shows 65 on the speedometer, and yours it could be 67 showing 65. I don't think you can use that legally though.

Good Luck.

Im not 100%, but i dont think they are allowed your speedo to read under the actual speed of the vehicle. If a car ever does read under the true speed, you kinda cant be at fault.

recursive_action    0

Good Luck.

He was camping underneath an overpass on his motorcycle and clocked me on his radar just as soon as I passed the truck and changed back into the right lane. Funny thing was, I was running errands all day and was driving back and forth on that road, and everytime I drove by (about 5 times), that very same cop has someone else pulled over every single time

Rohdekill    773

You are aware that "passing" does not constitute the right to speed, right?

You can pass, but are still restricted to the posted speed limit. If the truck was going 65 and the road is a single lane, you have no reason to pass. If you feel the truck may lose it's content(s) than increase your following distance so that you'll have time to react. If the truck is going slower than 65, you may pass while driving up to, and not beyond, the posted speed limit.

Sorry, but you have no excuse.

panicswitched    1

youll loose if you try to fight it, the judge will tell you that you should have slowed down or gotten into another lane, the speed limit it 65 meaning thats the fastest you can go it doesnt mean you cant go slower ;)

ive seen a girl try to argue this case it was a waste of her time

shockz    5,448

70 in a 65... thats pretty harsh.

kombolcha    11

that'd make me want to kill someone.. getting a ticket for going 5 over.. wow..

i can understand if you were going 85 or those morons who go 60 in a 35 zone.. i would fight it, i would explain to the judge that you felt unsafe with the truck infront of you loaded will all that heavy drywall and that you were simply passing and being ticketed for simply going above 5mph for a few seconds seems unfair (assuming you have a good driving record) if you look into my driving history i'm a good driver.

Axel    95

You obviously didn't flutter your eyes at him enough! "Sorry officer, my, you're awfully handsome" :blush:

i know in the UK they cant class you as speeding unless its over 10% + 2MPH of the speed limit. Hell, the speedo on my car is 10%. so at 65, youd have to be going 73.6MPH. Lookup the speeding law for your area/state.

Are you sure about this - have you got a source for this information? So under this logic you can get away with doing 35 in a 30 (30 + 3 (10%) + 2 = 35). I'm sure I know people who've been done for going this much over before.

Lexcyn    88

I believe in Canada the unspoken rule of thumb is you won't get pulled over if you're doing +/- 10Km/h. Also, there are a ton of loopholes in traffic law that allow you to get your ticket thrown out (at least here).

toddhd    0

You really have no case - my sympathies - but no case. Bottom line is that if the truck in front of you had loose cargo which looked like it might fall off, your legal options would have been to have slowed down and put some distance between you, or pulled over to the side of the road, etc. Speeding past him was illegal, regardless of the fact that 99% of the people out there would have done the same. If you go into a court and try to argue this it may get worse. For staters, they may raise the fines in order to cover court costs. Worse, they might tell you that if you saw a dangerous situation and didn't call the police and inform them, that you are somehow also responsbile - same thing as seeing a mugging and not reporting it.

Unless you had some sort of proof that the officer was somehow being unfair to you personally (i.e. racial profiling), or in a position to incorrectly judge your actions (i.e he was behind a billboard, at night, in the rain), or that somehow your life was in immediate danger that limited your legal actions (i.e. a drive-by gang was shooting at you) then I'd say suck it up, pay the fine, and be happy that you got fined instead of actually being hit by flying cargo on the roadway.

Sensayshun    0
You obviously didn't flutter your eyes at him enough! "Sorry officer, my, you're awfully handsome" :blush:

Are you sure about this - have you got a source for this information? So under this logic you can get away with doing 35 in a 30 (30 + 3 (10%) + 2 = 35). I'm sure I know people who've been done for going this much over before.

I know that you can get away with plus or minus 10% but I didn't know the +2mph as well. I'm kind of an expert as my dad is currently in his 4th year of fighting a speeding ticket so he's had plenty of reading time :p

We often do 80mph on the motorway and generally have a police car sat behind us, they don't pull you over it's just a sensible speed to go at. Following this rule you can get away with 80 as 70+10% = 77 and then the extra 2 takes you up to 79 and you're sorted.

I'd fight it, chances are the cop won't turn up, if he does then it'll probably get thrown out anyway (the courts have better things to do than worry about people going 5mph over the limit).

JMann    2

I got caught speeding after going over 1 speed bump and accelerating away in a 30 got into 4th gear, I accidentally hit 37mph and got pulled over for the 7mph. Doesn't matter, it cost me 3 points and ?60 but in the long run its made me a better driver and even if its 5mph or 20mph over your still speeding.

Take it like everyone else does, otherwise you will be paying out more for the Court fee's; well in the UK at least.:))

Syphonic    0

Generally on the motorway you're safe as long as you don't go over 85 because then they think you're a rep.

Look out for police cars parked on bridges over the motorway. They clock you then pass it on to the pursuit car.

kaptain chump    0

In Florida, unless things have changed, going 5 over is a warning and doing 6+ over is a $ fine. If you take you ticket to court and claim no contest, you might get the points eradicated and just pay the fines+court costs. Or you could do traffic school if they offer that for you.

Andrew Lyle    336

fight it.. i bet they will through it away

ozgeek    157

If you fight your tickets, it will turn out that you are paying more than the fine so it's cheaper just to pay the damn fine and get it over with. Just go to the police station and pay. Takes 5 minutes to do and the next thing you do is forget about it.

shockz    5,448
If you fight your tickets, it will turn out that you are paying more than the fine so it's cheaper just to pay the damn fine and get it over with. Just go to the police station and pay. Takes 5 minutes to do and the next thing you do is forget about it.

Your forgetting your insurance will increase a crapload... I'd first try to see if it can be rescinded.

Not to mention if you go to court anyways... and plead guilty/no contest... the fine is usually a lot less. I speak from experience here.

Ayepecks    117
Im not 100%, but i dont think they are allowed your speedo to read under the actual speed of the vehicle. If a car ever does read under the true speed, you kinda cant be at fault.

No, it's your responsibility to have your speedometer calibrated correctly, trust me. My speedometer was off by 7 MPH after we changed the tire size for a brief period, then I just forgot the tires were a different size and got a ticket for speeding even though I didn't realize it.

As for your ticket -- if you were only going 5 over, any decent lawyer can argue that radar guns have a margin of error of roughly 5 MPH.

DanManIt    1

That really sucks. I agree with most of the people, don't try to fight it. It'll only cost you more money.

SacrificialSoldier    0
That really sucks. I agree with most of the people, don't try to fight it. It'll only cost you more money.

agreed