Do you use Vista x86 or x64

What version of Windows Vista do you use?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

• Windows Vista x86 (32-bit)
    • Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)
  2. 2. What edition of Vista do you use?

• Home Basic
    • Home Premium
    • Business
    • Enterprise
    • Ultimate

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and want to know what other people use. Apart from the general memory support with 64-bit being greater than 4Gb, are there any other benifits from moving to 64-bit with gaming performance etc on machine with less than 4Gb RAM?

x86 Home Premium.

I don't see the point of 64 bit until it's more common and supported I guess.

Edited by Lawliet

x86 Home Premium.

I don't see the point of 64 bit until it's more common and supported I guess.

Same here. I have the E6600 CPu and will not use 64bit until the majority of the applications are 64bit. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Ultimate 64

I didnt wanna have to pay for another version whenever 64 bit was really common (I got the OEM ver.)

Works fine for me, all the programs i need work just dandy! :)

x64 Ultimate.

I went with x64 because I have 4GB's of RAM and a x64 compatible processor. I went with Ultimate because I need Remote Desktop + MCE and that is the only SKU with both.

There are many advantages to the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version:

1) Security, there are a few extra security addons for the 64-bit version i.e. PatchGuard

2) Applications designed for 64-bit will run significantly faster... if they can take advantage of it i.e. Paint .NET can, and so you will notice signficant performance improvements when applying effects etc.

And of course there are a number of workarounds, even though most 32-bit apps should work under the 64-bit OS i.e. running in a Virtual environment.... however you'd need an extra license of Windows...

Im sure that all the vista product keys (oem, retial, upgrade) can be used to perform either a 64bit or x86 installation. You just simply need to get hold of either a 64bit or 32bit dvd to install.

Im sure that all the vista product keys (oem, retial, upgrade) can be used to perform either a 64bit or x86 installation. You just simply need to get hold of either a 64bit or 32bit dvd to install.

Retail (full and upgrade) Vista DVDs come with both.

OEMs are seperate, I think.

Been debating whether to move to 64 or not. Doing it online, what is the price to get the 64-bit DVD..

You can order it of microsoft for a couple of quid. I am pretty sure that any vista product key can be used to perform either a 64bit or x86 installation, regardless of it is OEM or not.

X86 Ultimate.

I had X64 installed, had problems with it (probably all driver related, whatever), got back to WindowsXP and then tried back Vista but X86... I'm happy to say that it's working like a charm with no problem. So, better driver support and better compatibility will all X86 apps.

So, if you have problems with Vista X64, I would suggest trying the X86.... And what for the SP1 or even the next release of Windows to move to X64. The OS may be ready, but everything else (drivers, apps) is not there yet.

There are many advantages to the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version:

1) Security, there are a few extra security addons for the 64-bit version i.e. PatchGuard

2) Applications designed for 64-bit will run significantly faster... if they can take advantage of it i.e. Paint .NET can, and so you will notice signficant performance improvements when applying effects etc.

And of course there are a number of workarounds, even though most 32-bit apps should work under the 64-bit OS i.e. running in a Virtual environment.... however you'd need an extra license of Windows...

from what you said i'd rather have 32-bit.

x86 Ultimate. Right now there isn't a real reason to go x64 unless you have apps that can take advantage of it.

However, in a few years x64 will become more commonplace as x86 is slowly phased out.

I'm on Ultimate X64, The only Driver issue i've had is Creative X-Fi drivers. All my software works so x64 is the way it stays!

I use both x64 on my desktop and x86 on my laptop but i regret putting x64 on my desktop because i cant get my printer to work or my camera.... annoying as anything.

Ultimate x64

I have 4GB of RAM so x86 wouldn't be able to use it all.

Still on x86 on my main dev machine at work (have an x64 box too) and on my laptop (Macbook isn't quite x64 compatible yet)