Do you use Vista x86 or x64

What version of Windows Vista do you use?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

• Windows Vista x86 (32-bit)
    • Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)
  2. 2. What edition of Vista do you use?

• Home Basic
    • Home Premium
    • Business
    • Enterprise
    • Ultimate

using Vista Ultimate (64-bit). Everyone says that 64 bit has so little support with drivers and what not, but thats untrue. I have had no problems with anything so far apart from a sketchy installation of my gaming keyboard driver. Even though it was hard to get it on the system, they still had 64 bit drivers. 64-bit all the way man!

using Vista Ultimate (64-bit). Everyone says that 64 bit has so little support with drivers and what not, but thats untrue. I have had no problems with anything so far apart from a sketchy installation of my gaming keyboard driver. Even though it was hard to get it on the system, they still had 64 bit drivers. 64-bit all the way man!

there are heeps of drivers that are not avaliable still for x64 so saying that its untrue is an untrue statement

there are heeps of drivers that are not avaliable still for x64 so saying that its untrue is an untrue statement

There are some - but if you're buying/building a new computer it's very easy to pick x64-friendly components. Even on existing hardware most everything will be supported. The main things to look out for are things like scanners and webcams, especially if they aren't really new.

X64 Ultimate - all the applications I need seem to work flawlessly. I've been very satisfied with the 64-bit environment.

x86 Business on laptop, x86 Ultimate at home. 2GB of RAM on both and it works good. Drivers are the biggest issue.

Some people have said that Vista works best with 4GB+ of RAM. Do not know for sure though.

Using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Edition, my reason is because my processor does not support 64-bit :(. Also, the copy I got of Windows Vista was a Dell OEM from a guy at school who bought an XPS system which apparently came with a 32-bit version only even though it is a Core 2 :blink:, if it keeps going like that with manufacturers then Microsoft is not going to have too much luck pushing the 64-bit Edition into mainstream.

I'm on Ultimate x64, it runs great with 2 GB of RAM and an Intel Dual Core! :)

My dad bought me a new pc (my last one as the oldest here at home) with XP MCE 2005 and then we've backed it up on a DVD and installed Vista Ultimate. He first wanted to buy a copy of Home Premium since I don't need all those Ultimate stuff, but when he heard that MUI wasn't available on Home Premium, he decided to get Ultimate. Unfortunately, we couldn't get RAID activated on the two 320 GB HDDs (there was a RAID controller but the BIOS didn't support it!) so now I'm sitting here with 2 HDDs of 320 GB... but I'm happy with it! And yes, I first had some trouble getting drivers. I only have my webcam and USB microphone working for less than a week, and the driver "update" for my wireless controller made it unusable. Luckily, that's all past and all of my hardware works fine on Vista.

I'll be using Vista x86 Ultimate and Home Premium for awhile until the drivers mature a bit more and I know all my devices are going to work fine. I know HP is really sketchy on 64bit drivers for my Laserjet 1300, which I think Vista x64 supports, but I'll be monitoring the driver situation closely to see what develops. I know Creative Labs has some specific issues with their cards with SPDIF with x64 so that'll limit me to 32bit for now.

X86 Home Premium :( once i have enough for a 64bit processor then i will move to a x64 operating system but for now its 32bit :(

Well when I tried out x64, I noticed that Windows x64 did run slower, however I believe that was a memory issue.... 512 MB was probably not enough memory for it.

How much memory do you have? It might be the case that you do need a little extra memory. However that's not to say that they won't perform at equal speeds if the machine had 1 GB of memory or more.

You will see performance improvements on x64 over x86 if you have applications that can take advantage of the x64 architecture i.e. Paint .NET is twice as fast.

I'm running Windows Vista x64 on my workstation and on my laptop. My HTPC runs Windows Vista x86 because there's no x64 drivers for my TV tuner card :(

Vista Home Premium x86 on a Core 2 Duo E6600 here...

I don't see why I should go for 64-bit really... The performance improvements seem neglible in many cases, and you usually get a number of problems in exchange, at this point.

All I need the performance in my system for is games really, and so far not a single one I've seen has come in a 64-bit version.

I guess it's useful for the small group of users that have 64-bit drivers *and* CPU intensive, memory demanding, 64-bit software...