from CRT HDTV to LCD HDTV?

Ive currently got a 30" Sony HDTV, and I can pick up a Vizio 32" LCD TV for about $400 (and sell the old one for around 325, thus only $75 more for a LCD) Is it worth it?

The sony I have was top of the line, with built in ASTC and QAM with HDMI, so it wasnt an issue. I'm not sure though since it was a sony if going to a cheaper LCD would make it worse

Hell yeah! CRTs are crap compared! lol. You will probably notice a little better visual quality aswell

hmmm maybe, LCD's are only great at displaying the resolution that the screen was built for, otherwise it has to upscale/downscale the source which usually results in less than stellar picture(DVD's don't always look that great on LCD's)

CRT's can display a lot more resolutions.

There are a whole range of other things that can also affect quality

Try getting a demo of the LCD first with whatever your primary source will be(DVD/Cable/OTA whatever) and then decide ;p

I don't know, I love my Samsung CRT HDTV. The only downside to it is there are no HDMI ports on it, which is becoming a necessity now (not too much, a much cleaner job with cables). Other than the space issue I guess, I don't see why they are frowned upon. Great for gaming as well.

Can you put your current Sony somewhere else in your home? My plan this summer is to replace my CRT with an LCD and put the CRT in my bedroom.

I upgraded from a CRT HDTV to a LCD HDTV a few years ago. Went from a $400 tv to a $1500 (with warranty) TV. Mind you, this is a 26" TV! Was well worth it too -- dropping the vertical lines was great.

I upgraded from a CRT HDTV to a LCD HDTV a few years ago. Went from a $400 tv to a $1500 (with warranty) TV. Mind you, this is a 26" TV! Was well worth it too -- dropping the vertical lines was great.

see that's not what he plans on doing here though...he is going from a pretty good crt to an extremely cheap lcd. I don't think it would be worth it.

Hell yeah! CRTs are crap compared! lol. You will probably notice a little better visual quality aswell

Bah, you dont seem to know much about CRT and LCDs

A good CRT, even one which is can handle HDMI can provide better colours, contrast and picture then a medium grade LCD.

Even the latest LCDs still cant always get the vibrancy and contrast ratios like the CRTs.

CRTs are big and LCDs are advancing. Mmmmmmm Laser TVs

To original poster. How about checking out the LCD TV, response time in milliseconds(8ms or less is good), its contrast ratios etc.

If allowed, maybe watch a dark movie like The Matrix or something along those lines to see whether or not the TV can handle the dark colours well.

I mean if you gonna buy something, at least test it out or read reviews on the net before forgoing a purchase.

i'm a little curious about this myself. in fact, why does hdtv look like a badly encoded mpg? (with the blocks) my current TV is more crisp than what I see at best buy, what's the dilly here? i'm a lil put off by this, or will i get different results when i bring it to my house from the store?

i'm a little curious about this myself. in fact, why does hdtv look like a badly encoded mpg? (with the blocks) my current TV is more crisp than what I see at best buy, what's the dilly here? i'm a lil put off by this, or will i get different results when i bring it to my house from the store?

You wont get different results. May get some better quality if you use the greatest and latest cabling which adds to the overall costs as well. A good HDMI cable can cost hundreds. (Aus)

Im afraid the bring it home and hope works better doesnt apply either.

I personally have a widescreen CRT, not even High Definition, but i have been to store after store with my DVD in hand trying to find a LCD TV that even remotely compares to colour vibrancy and contrast to my CRT TV

Either contrast issues, milliseconds issues, or as you mentioned weird blocky like picture and even sometimes picture warpage especially on the sides of the LCDs.

To be honest with myself, im not happy with what i have seen. Plasmas are great but their running costs higher.

Im really looking forward to Laser TVs. I just have to convince myself to hold off buying anything.

Either contrast issues, milliseconds issues, or as you mentioned weird blocky like picture and even sometimes picture warpage especially on the sides of the LCDs.

I don't know what lcd's you have seen, but there is absolutely no "warpage" on them. You most likely saw one when it was in panorama mode. (it stretches a 4x3 image only horizontally leaving the center of the image normal and strestching as it moves towards the sides to fill a whole 16x9 screen)

ok most stores except Bestbuys and some walmarts use composite video connections to show off the Tvs so that would exsplian the crappy quality you see on them. also some places dont have HD Tv signals just standard Def. i pearsonly recommend when ya look at an HDTV system at any place take some DVD movie media your perfectly knowlagable about using that you have seen before on your current setup. and then test it as they have to let you, now also if possable have them show you an HD-DVD movie on the TV you want if they have the option or way to have one hooked up right away

I don't know what lcd's you have seen, but there is absolutely no "warpage" on them. You most likely saw one when it was in panorama mode. (it stretches a 4x3 image only horizontally leaving the center of the image normal and strestching as it moves towards the sides to fill a whole 16x9 screen)

Ahhhhh

Why on earth couldnt the salesman tell me that. I asked two stores and both had blank faces on.