Windows programs on a Mac

sup guys, i'm kinda new to this forum- but I have a question.

I'm about to get a new PC (with a $2500 budget)... and I need to know whether I should stick with Windows, or switch over to the ever-competitive Mac. :woot:

I know Macs seem to run games a junk-of-a-lot better than PC's (most of the time), and the OS and the hardware just looks frickin sweet.

But if I want to run (let's say), Battlefield 2 (for Windows) on a Mac, would I just put in the disk, install it up, and play? Or would I have to get something else :blush: oh and srry if this has been asked b4, i'm too lazy to look around for a related topic :rofl:

--thanks

You can dual-boot OS. Let say, you want to play BF2, just boot to XP and run the game like you would run on Windows system.

P.S. :It's yours money. Do your own research! :shiftyninja:

You can't just install your windows games on your mac. You need a macversion of the game to install it in OS X.

You can install windows using bootcamp to play your games so that you don't need to renew your collection.

Like BabyDoc said, you can now dualboot OS X and Windows on a Mac using BootCamp. The new release of OS X (Leopard) will come with BootCamp, which is expected this spring.

I haven't read too much about BootCamp as far as games go but I imagine it's fine, as long as you have the hardware.

Another option, although much less reliable right now, is to use Wine/Crossover Mac. Their application support is getting better everyday. It eliminates the need for windows altogether.

Wait for Leopard to be released, then look at the Mac platform. That way you get iLife'07 and Leopard for "free".

I hope apple address the gap in their product line up though. If you don't want a mac with a built in LCD, you have 2 choices, a Mac Mini, or a Mac Pro. They really need something in between those two products. The mini can't game for ****, and the Mac Pro is too expensive.

Meh, I hate how Apple is "OMG, you can't put our OS on your crummy systems!!!" yet, "Hey look! We're better than your PC! You can install OS X -AND- Windows!"

Now, are they saying that Microsoft is better than Apple for supporting even Apple hardware?

Maybe there is something I don't understand here... >.>

--Edit--

Err, not trying to detract from the original post btw! That's just the thought I had about it... So, overall, if you must have OS X and Windows, go Apple... If you like Windows and don't care for OS X... Why not just go PC. I prefer the cheaper hardware on my PCs side. =)

Does anyone know what playing games under Parallels is like? Is it possible? Macbook with 2Gb RAM. Don't want anything too intense. Just my Flight Sims :-)

Meh, I hate how Apple is "OMG, you can't put our OS on your crummy systems!!!" yet, "Hey look! We're better than your PC! You can install OS X -AND- Windows!"

Now, are they saying that Microsoft is better than Apple for supporting even Apple hardware?

Maybe there is something I don't understand here... >.>

--Edit--

Err, not trying to detract from the original post btw! That's just the thought I had about it... So, overall, if you must have OS X and Windows, go Apple... If you like Windows and don't care for OS X... Why not just go PC. I prefer the cheaper hardware on my PCs side. =)

calm down, apple is mainly a computer company, not a software company.

anyways if i had 2.5 grands i would have gone Mac Pro ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

Does anyone know what playing games under Parallels is like? Is it possible? Macbook with 2Gb RAM. Don't want anything too intense. Just my Flight Sims :-)

Parallels doesn't have 3D acceleration, so you would be better of using native (BootCamp).

Parallels doesn't have 3D acceleration, so you would be better of using native (BootCamp).

or try using Fusion (www.vmware.com -> use the search box for fusion).

it has DirectX 8 support, but I didn't try it, but it wont run at full speed for sure, but for some games/Settings it might be sufficient..

this is in beta stage, so it might improve and they might be even able to add directX 9 support some time...

or try using Fusion (www.vmware.com -> use the search box for fusion).

it has DirectX 8 support, but I didn't try it, but it wont run at full speed for sure, but for some games/Settings it might be sufficient..

this is in beta stage, so it might improve and they might be even able to add directX 9 support some time...

I've tried it. It "supports" it, sure, but it's a complete joke right now. It runs Ragnarok's MENUS at about .5fps, and Ragnarok can run full speed on a 350mhz machine with a 16mb GPU.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried it. It "supports" it, sure, but it's a complete joke right now. It runs Ragnarok's MENUS at about .5fps, and Ragnarok can run full speed on a 350mhz machine with a 16mb GPU.

which Mac have you tried it on?

• 1 month later...
You know Crossover supports Steam and most of its games including HL2, right?

Nice. Wine is beginning to be a pain. I should get crossover :D since im going to be getting my checking account soon I can order it :D (just turning 18)

Dual-booting a Mac with OSX and Windows....

...is that like buying the latest luxury Lexus LS460 then ripping out half the interior and replacing it with the seats and dash taken out of a 1980 Nissan?? :whistle: :p

Dual-booting a Mac with OSX and Windows....

...is that like buying the latest luxury Lexus LS460 then ripping out half the interior and replacing it with the seats and dash taken out of a 1980 Nissan?? :whistle: :p

I agree. I've removed my Windows partition awhile ago.

I bought a Mac recently but I was massively disappointed by the operating system and computer in general, I think Macs are good for some people but definitely not me. I tried Crossover and it 'works' but the application support isn't great and the game support is terrible (running at like 5-15fps). Ultimately, if you're going to find yourself playing games and using Windows apps, get a Windows PC.

I bought a Mac recently but I was massively disappointed by the operating system and computer in general, I think Macs are good for some people but definitely not me. I tried Crossover and it 'works' but the application support isn't great and the game support is terrible (running at like 5-15fps). Ultimately, if you're going to find yourself playing games and using Windows apps, get a Windows PC.

When I switched to Mac I found myself using Windows via Boot Camp much more than OS X itself. I'd strongly recommend to use OS X and familiarise yourself with it, and you'll like it much more. Obviously Mac's aren't built for gamers (lack of Direct X support etc).