File copy/move is extreamly slow in Vista

For me, Vista is slow when I copy a file from XP over a network share. So what I do is remote-desktop into XP, and copy said file TO Vista share instead. Noticably faster by 2 or 3 times on large file(s).

well since ive stoped the windows search my system has sped up a hell of alot, pity bout the file speeds though, also stopping superfetch helps a little as well

svghost has droped from 45-50mb down to 20mb now :D

well since ive stoped the windows search my system has sped up a hell of alot, pity bout the file speeds though, also stopping superfetch helps a little as well

people's stupidity continues... :blush:

people's stupidity continues... :blush:

It's not stupid if it works for them. Everyone can do whatever they want, it's their computer. Also, the more people experiment with Vista the more people will find things that actually do help performance. As far as I'm concerned I'm willing to try anything because right now Vista sucks for transferring files.

Am I the only one who isn't having issues with Vista's copy speeds? I have copied huge files from computer to computer, and Vista's transfer speeds are higher on my computers than XP's. Same thing with copying files from HD to HD. I'm also glad that Vista copies a file and "estimates" at the same time. In XP, it would calculate, and then start copying.

My only guess is that your computer doesn't support some feature, or the motherboard driver needs improvement.

No, disabling Windows Desktop search and Superfetch will not speed up your computer. Disabling SuperFetch will slow it down.

Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel, and chose the option for Turn Windows Features On or Off.

You'll likely receive a UAC prompt.

Uncheck Remote Differential Compression and click OK.

Enjoy faster file transfers.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I have done clean installation of Vista Ultimate multiple times in My desktop, laptop and in my tablet.

In all 3 machines on every installation whenever I tried to copy or move a large file it took forever! I mean its painfully slow. Same operation in XP would be 5x faster.

so what gives? Any ideas?

I have a similar problem with coping over the WiFi as well as copying on and USB 2 device,

WEI = 3.1

Who the hell in Vista Development was responsible for "file copy" ?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a post on Microsoft's Technet forums related to this.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpo...=0&pageid=0

There is also a hotfix available for the Slow File transfer bug, but it's not been made widely available by Microsoft.

Read through the thread to get the full picture of whats going on and what the hotfix does.

I have a copy of the hotfix if anyone want to try it.

I'm a chicken and I don't want to screw my system up, so I haven't given it a go yet!

If you want the file let me know - as long as you report back to everyone here and let them know if it worked!

There's a lot to read, but here's a copy of part of the thread:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the hotfix link, but I didnt use it and not sure if I recommend doing so.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770

I have been using Total Commander for all my vista file copying needs for the past week.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Total...der/945901171/1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

i actually have the file mentioned above if anyone wants it. It was posted on here by Creamhackered i think in another thread about this. Dunno if it fixed much but on the USB 2.0 drive i got up to 14.1MB/s from my laptop to a 4200RPM 2.5" IDE 20GB Drive.

Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel, and chose the option for Turn Windows Features On or Off.

Does this really work? Anyone can vouch for this one?

There's still no fix for this issue :no:

I've been waiting over an hour for Vista to finish a local transfer of a 100GB HDD to a folder on the primary HDD (500GB SATAII) on the same PC. I did this before in the past with a similar sized HDD on XP and it was much much faster. I had a feeling it was a VIA driver problem but people on a wide array of chipsets are reporting this issue. I've enabled write caching and advanced performance on the HDDs. I don't know what else can be done.

Disabling Remote Differential Compression and the hotfix is for file transfers over a network. It had no affect on local file transfers.

What does removing that do? I mean, more specifically

Am I the only one who isn't having issues with Vista's copy speeds? I have copied huge files from computer to computer, and Vista's transfer speeds are higher on my computers than XP's. Same thing with copying files from HD to HD. I'm also glad that Vista copies a file and "estimates" at the same time. In XP, it would calculate, and then start copying.

My only guess is that your computer doesn't support some feature, or the motherboard driver needs improvement.

No, disabling Windows Desktop search and Superfetch will not speed up your computer. Disabling SuperFetch will slow it down.

My transfer speeds are fine too, and I've got 3 HD's (2 are PATA, 1 SATA - which contains Vista), and a ton of partitions, and never have problems with transferring files from one partition to another. My only guess is a poor mobo driver. I've transfered GB's of files at a time, and never took more than a couple of minutes. Never tried network file transfers though.

My issues are still with LOCAL file copying from folder to folder on the same disk.

I have a laptop with a SATA hard drive. It takes an insanely long time to copy large folders.

Also, I have a USB2.0 hard drive, which copies over at between 8-14mb/s for large files, which is very respectable.

In addition, I have a SD card reader built in, which is very slow compared to XP, but I guess thats a driver issue for the card reader.

I would not go back to XP, as I am used to Vista now, and like it a lot, however this slow file transfer issue on the local hard drive is very frustrating.

This is #@#!& insane.

There are two slow file copying issues people are having. a. over a network b. locally

MS released a hotfix for a.

I'm not on a network, I'm having issues with b.

Tonight it reached a new low. I thought copying files from one hdd to another was slow. Copying files from one partition to another on the same drive is harrowing. For 100 GB it is projecting 3 days and 12 hours to completion. I installed the VIA motherboard chipset drivers and now it got a bit faster, 3 hours, still unacceptable. But the O/S is virtually unusable when copying from one partition to another -- the lag is unbearable. If I use Total Commander to copy files it goes just as slow but the lag disappears. Something is up with Vista and the drivers. It is really frustrating that the most basic of functions is crippled. Not only that but boot times seem to be getting more sluggish as is the overall responsiveness of the OS and its not like I've installed new programs or haven't defragged.

I haven't found any reports to suggest it is happening to one specific motherboard brand. But I wonder if it is just happening with SATA drives.

I find that transferring files over the network even after the hotfix is unstable. I can only transfer files by dumping them from the source computer onto the other computer and not retrieving it off of the source computer. However, I am having no problems copying files from one HD to another or between partitions on the same HD.

Hmm, I don't really know why, but it is insanely slow comparing to XP and no matter what oyu do it still will be slow. No drive improvements will help on this nor write behind caches. I took a little look on how does it copy and well seem it actually defragments the new added file to second location. Meaning that it does same time some sort of placing to the file. Not entirely sure about this, but if it does """Diskkeeper""" style of on fly defragment it is very fast considering what it actually does.

However I could suggest some Windows Explorer replacement like total Commander might do the copying faster. As tested on so called command prompt and in there copying is in normal speeds..

Either way, on this matter I ain't yet on top of it just saying what I suspect the slowness to be.

Total Commander was just as slow for me. Plus, we shouldn't have to use a different program for a fundamental operation.

I tested the local file copying on my Dad's computer (Vista x32) and it was even slower. It took 16 seconds to copy a 27 MB folder. It's an Intel chipset motherboard and the HDD is IDE. It's using native Vista chipset drivers.

Maybe its not a driver problem after all.