Xee - A Preview Replacement

I got tired of Preview not being able to show animated gifs (opening quicktime is just too tedious sometimes) and not being able to just simply browse through images in a folder. (again, adding images to the sidebar is tedious).

This is where Xee comes in:

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html

It's pretty much replaced Preview for me in opening images. It actually even browses images that are in an archive as well. Plain sweet.

xee.png

Check it out for those who are also annoyed with Preview.

Xee is nice. If you want something more like ACDSee on the Mac, try Phoenix Slides. Its OSS freeware. It beats the pants off iPhoto and Iview if you're just browsing images. Super-uber-fast is the only words I have to describe it.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple adds into Leopard as replacement for Preview.

Seems interesting. But how does it compare to the performance of Preview? Does it load almost instantly even if it wasn't running previously? Does it take up a lot of RAM?

Ohh, nice, much better than preview (and the site has lots of other cool stuff, the water screensaver rocks)

And Xee took less than a second to load up on my eMac, renders images faster (IMO) and it's currently using 18MB of "real" memory (and why on earth is my FTP client using 99MB?).

One thing i noticed, it doesn't do colour correction, it should though (QuickTime and Preview do it)

Seems interesting. But how does it compare to the performance of Preview? Does it load almost instantly even if it wasn't running previously? Does it take up a lot of RAM?

My slow macbook (512mb ram) loads it in about 1 bounce. ~8mb ram at the moment with no pics opened--of course your mileage may vary based on what pics you open with it.

Adam Betts whipped up a nice replacement icon set for it as well. (If you got creeped out by the strange alieny eye :p)

http://www.artofadambetts.com/weblog/?p=119

I can't see much difference between YUV and RGB though--anyone care to experiment?

picture1wl8.png

edit: Holy moly everyone should try out that LotsaWater screensaver. :| Brilliant.

Edited by Giga

just tried it out, i was tired of preview and not being able to just browse through a folder and xee seems pretty good. opens fast and yea. =)