Torrent App for OS X

I don't know about that... Xtorrent is really only missing a few key features, one of them the ability to be selective about files in a torrent, instead of having to download all of them. Beyond that, I really don't see what else Azureus does that Xtorrent can't do.

xtorrent is banned on several trackers as well as transmission.

xtorrent is banned on several trackers as well as transmission.

Hmm... I didn't know this. Although I've used it on many of the major trackers w/o any issues. Why specifically is it banned?

Hmm... I didn't know this. Although I've used it on many of the major trackers w/o any issues. Why specifically is it banned?

It uses the same engine as tranmission(libtransmission) and has problems with announcing intervals, etc.

It uses the same engine as tranmission(libtransmission) and has problems with announcing intervals, etc.

He changed that early on.

1.0 Beta 1, build 13: respect tracker min-announce interval

I think that was it.

I heard the uTorrent version for Mac was scrapped... But you never know...

I personally use Transmission... It's very simple, but it does the job.

Yeah, i heard the same.

Transmissions is good, nice simple UI, and i never really good great speeds for a lot of torrents, and Transmission provides around the same speed as other clients.

I think that was it.

sadly once a client is banned at a tracker it's hard to get it back in.....especially a mac client (since lots of admins can't test it)

And a lot of admins are stubborn to heck (i read of one admin who banned users who pointed out that a client had fixed the bug that caused it to get banned in the first place)

you can use bitrocket ( like u torrent)

but you have to open en program first then the torrent( double click a torrent and it will crash here)

or tamato wich is like bittornado

For OS X, the only thing I can use at the moment is Azureus. It's java so it's slow and painful but it works for my needs. (until utorrent comes along)

Yeah that's what I use. As Giga states Azureus is java... But it gets the job done successfully. I tried TomatoTorrent but didn't like it.

I think that was it.

Hm, really? Well this is what not-to-be-named admin stated as of build 26:

It re-uses Peer IDs between sessions.

It doesn't send a stopped event when removing a torrent from the client.

It re-announces to the tracker every ~300 seconds (a fraction over 5 mins).

It sent a started event instead of a completed event when completing a torrent.

=/

Oh and BitRocket is way too buggy for me to ever use it in the long term. It hasn't been updated in forever--I'm starting to think it's been canned.

Xtorrent hands down

I have purchased it and think its worth every penny. Why not buy it?

maybe because he took open source code slap on a gui and charge for it, just like the developper does for most of his apps. Yes i know they are awesome, but I really don't think that he has a right to charge for it, especially since the core of the program he didn't write himself.

and i use transmission, works for the sites i use

BitRocket has been stable for me. Only time it crashes is when I open a torrent from Finder. If I open it in BitRocket, it's fine. It's also not banned on the popular trackers. :)

BitRocket has been stable for me. Only time it crashes is when I open a torrent from Finder. If I open it in BitRocket, it's fine. It's also not banned on the popular trackers. :)

looks like the development on BitRocket has staled, too bad it looks promising.

the only problem is that it's banned from most trackers because it doesn't follow the protocol's standards

Most trackers I use have banned Transmission sadly and as for uTorrent, would love that on Mac Os X.

But hey Azureus works fine for now.

Xtorrent has gone final :)

And with the final release comes the nagware... Apparently, it caps your download speed to 10 kb/s within 60 minutes if you run it w/o a license. So I went ahead and spent $29 on the lifetime license. I think it's worth it, though, Xtorrent is a very nice program.

xTorrent looks like a genuinely good new contender. Can't say I've really tested it since I don't want to pay...

Azureus takes it's willy and pees it's own name over the other clients. Transmission is so damn sexy and small, but downloads take 4-5 times longer than Azureus - I've tested them side by side on 10 exactly the same torrents.

Edited by a_witko

i don't have a mac but i use azureus on Linux and windows. It does use java but the only problem is that it take a minute to load. once you have it loaded its ok. The details that it shows and the plugins for it are great. Zuedo is not a bittorrent client. It just uses the 3.0 version of azureus as its engine. Go to www.azureus.sourceforge.net to get the betas or the main app.

• 1 month later...

umm... what's good now? i had XTorrent when it was free. i want it but i'm not putting any money down for it. i'm currently using Azureus and not really satisfied with the speed. so is Transmission next in line as the best mac torrent client?