"Big brother" questions

Question

Stakken

I've been told and read a load of things regarding the US government and the Internet over the years, but I'm wondering if any of them are actually true...

• Is it true that all emails (or emails with certain keywords) get forwarded to some government office in New York City?
  • Can the government see what you're doing on your screen at any time?
  • If you mention a certain keyword (like "bomb" for example) in an Instant Messaging conversation, does the conversation get forwarded to the government?
  • Does the US government really have live satellite cameras with resolutions in the "gigapixels" that can zoom in through your windows and read newspaper-sized print?

As I said, these are things I've been told been told or read over the years, and I'm wondering if any of them are actually true or not. Does anybody know? Would be interesting.

2 answers to this question

zeroday
I've been told and read a load of things regarding the US government and the Internet over the years, but I'm wondering if any of them are actually true...
  • Is it true that all emails (or emails with certain keywords) get forwarded to some government office in New York City?
  • Can the government see what you're doing on your screen at any time?
  • If you mention a certain keyword (like "bomb" for example) in an Instant Messaging conversation, does the conversation get forwarded to the government?
  • Does the US government really have live satellite cameras with resolutions in the "gigapixels" that can zoom in through your windows and read newspaper-sized print?

As I said, these are things I've been told been told or read over the years, and I'm wondering if any of them are actually true or not. Does anybody know? Would be interesting.

1) Probably not, unless they have a good reason to monitor your emails (terrorism, mafia, etc, etc). If the emails went anywhere it would probably be sent to the NSA, and not some office in NY ;)

2) No, although I wouldn't put it past any Government to try.

3) Again unlikely unless they want to monitor you. (Can you imagine trying to monitor millions (billions?) of IM conversations per day?)

4) Probably they can, but only those they wanna keep an eye on they'd bother with.

I'm a bit paranoid myself about these things. Stuff I read ages ago like ID cards, RFID tags in people, are happening now :unsure:

Unholy Moley!

The patriot act opened up many of those wonderful and comforting possibilities. That's all that I can say.