Zune Firmware 1.3 Delayed

Was posted yesterday:

I connected w/ James, the release manager for Zune, and got the official word: “Hey C, I know all of your blog readers are eagerly looking forward for the release of the Zune 1.3 Update. I feel their anticipation on the update, and I am very eager to get this out to all of them... I can’t comment on the exact date just yet, but it will be soon, as it’s in the final testing and processes to get released," he says. So there, you have it, dear blog reader: soon.

Source: http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/03/20/...se-manager.aspx

Apparently ALOT of people are returning their Zune's and are going the iPod route judging by the comments left. This can't be too good f:no:icrosoft. :no:

I am actually debating whether or not to do th(N)ame thing. (N)

You'd think they'd not have much trouble releasing a mere bug fix, as this firmware update doesn't add any new features, from what I've read.

You have no idea about the numbers of people who are going to abandon (if any) their Zunes. Saying that is just ignorance and short-sightedness.

I think Microsoft knows what they're doing.

You have no idea about the numbers of Saying that is just ignorance and short-sightedness.

Who is your post aimed at because it kinda confused me? :huh:

Apparently ALOT of people are returning their Zune's and are going the iPod route judging by the comments left. This can't be too good for Microsoft. :no:

Correction: Quite A few judging from the comments :)

Unfortunately, products do have their problems, all you can hope is that they get resolved soon. The iPod is very well established, and this is the first Zune.

Unfortunately, products do have their problems, all you can hope is that they get resolved soon. The iPod is very well established, and this is the first Zune.

All the more reason they should have delivered the firmware on time. If you're going to try to beat the iPod, you have one chance. You need to make it count. Microsoft missed the first promised date, what if they miss the second? I can't see this going over very well for the Zune.

All the more reason they should have delivered the firmware on time. If you're going to try to beat the iPod, you have one chance. You need to make it count. Microsoft missed the first promised date, what if they miss the second? I can't see this going over very well for the Zune.

Delays happen all the time.

From what I understand, Microsoft themselves never promised a specific date for the firmware to be released, it was one of the Zune bloggers (I'd have to go double check which site) that claimed it was coming on that particular date. So getting all mad at Microsoft for not getting an update out on a day that a blogger said they would isn't exactly the most justified thing to do.

Also, the skipping issue they are working to fix doesn't effect every Zune user. I have 2 Zunes, and use subscription marketplace music with both that works perfectly. So no, not everyone is going to return their Zune because a firmware for an issue that isn't effecting them didnt' come out when some arbitrary source said it would.

Many people have, and love, their Zunes. I'm one of them, I've used an iPod, a Philips GoGear, and a Zen Vision:M and I find the Zune to be the best of the bunch for my needs.

I don't see what the big problem is with a delayed release. My Zune works wonderfully well and has never given me any issues after months of usage. What could possibly be in this firmware update that is making people "return" their Zune's?

I don't see what the big problem is with a delayed release. My Zune works wonderfully well and has never given me any issues after months of usage. What could possibly be in this firmware update that is making people "return" their Zune's?

It was on the front page. The main bug it was supposed to fix was "skipping" at the beginning of songs purchased from the zune marketplace.

It was on the front page. The main bug it was supposed to fix was "skipping" at the beginning of songs purchased from the zune marketplace.

Figures. Every song I have is ripped from original CD's and not from the Marketplace.