AppleTv hacked

It involves opening the case, id see a boost in sales if it involves software udpates instead.

I assumed they would have used QuickTime, so installing a QuickTime component wasn't that far off.

But still, now it can play MPEG4 AVC and MPEG4 ASP

Someone has also cracked open an AppleTV and replaced the 40 GB HDD with a 120 GB HDD. I wonder if you could take the version of Frontrow on the AppleTV and replace the version of Frontrow on your Mac.

XviD fully functional on Apple TV

We've gotten Perian installed on the Apple TV, as well as an SSH client. Surely Apple could have come up with a more clever password than "frontrow"?

Before all the piggies come squealing FAKE, let me just say this is 100% legit. Take apart your Apple TV and plug in the drive yourself -- it's a pretty straight-forward OS X install (10.4.7).

It's kind of obvious that Apple doesn't really care, if you ask me, and to my knowledge Apple isn't losing money on these devices. We'll certainly see more streamlined solutions in the coming weeks, so this is just the beginning.

I think the hack will help improve sales in one or more ways. If AppleTV can play Xvid and other codecs (and the hack is easy to implement, without voiding the warranty), then this makes the Apple TV more appealing to me.

the software way is to create quicklinks in iTunes to your xvid/divx movies. BUT if you have say 100 movies in 100 folders then it's a nightmare in iTunes because there doesnt seem to be a way to organize your movies into folders.

If you have one movie that you have ripped to 2 files that makes even more of a mess.

Looking forward to a proper software hack and some Movie management/organization in iTunes. then they can have my money.

There's a much simpler way without opening it up. This does allow iTunes to play divx files. If it'll play in iTunes, it will work on AppleTV, correct?

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

Just drag'n'drop one or more movie files on the droplet icon.

You can also drag a folder containing several movies or folders containing other movie folders on the droplet icon.

The droplet accepts mov, mpg, mpeg, mp4, avi, wmv, swf files. A file reference in the QuickTime media link format is created (about 2 KB per movie) and the reference file is then added to the iTunes library.

The original movie files will not be moved or altered in any way.

sorry I don't know anything about appleTV, is it supposed to work like Tivo where it controls your tv and you record shows or can you only play stored media from your local computers and whatever is on the appleTV hdd?? just wondering what's the point of paying $300 bucks for this thing...

sorry I don't know anything about appleTV, is it supposed to work like Tivo where it controls your tv and you record shows or can you only play stored media from your local computers and whatever is on the appleTV hdd?? just wondering what's the point of paying $300 bucks for this thing...

http://www.apple.com/appletv/