[Review] Mac Pro

After procrastinating for a little while, I've finally decided to write my review for the Mac Pro. I'm going to fashion this review in a simlar respect to saxondale's macbook pro review since it has such a great outline.

The Decision

For the past year or two, I've felt that my computer (XP-M 2500+, 1GB) was struggling a little too much with multiple tasks going at once. This is also my development machine, so I would find myself writing less and less code and creating fewer designs since I just don't feel like working on an aging computer anymore. After weighing my options between getting a Mac Pro, a Dell OptiPlex, building my own computer or simply upgrading my memory and hoping for the best, I decided to get a Mac Pro.

The Purchase

This would be my fourth Mac (I know) and since I don't believe I'm currently eligable for an education discount, I decided to go down the refurbished route. Although I'm usually apprehensive regarding refurbished products, I've heard from quite a few people that they have never had a problem with their refurbs. I decided to get the standard Quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro, which retails for $2499, for a more convenient price of $2199. With the money I had saved, I decided to pick up an extra GB of FB-DIMM memory and a 320GB hard drive.

I had it sent via UPS Ground since it was free and it probably took a week for it to arrive on my doorstep.

First Impressions/Packaging

The first thing I had noticed about the Mac Pro, most notably by carrying it from the doorstep to my room, is that is much heavier than I thought. I was expecting a weight similar to perhaps a steel ATX case, but it weighs in at around 42lbs, or ~19kg for those who don't live in the same country as Jack Bauer. Unless you have a habit of benchpressing your computers, I doubt this really matters to anyone. The case itself, as I'm sure anyone who has visited an Apple Store knows, is simply beautiful.

Also packaged with my Mac were the standard USB keyboard and a USB mighty mouse. I'm not the biggest fan of the mighty mouse, so I am continuing to use my Logitech MX1000. Of course, there are also your OSX discs.

Upgrading

Since my memory and hard disk came in the mail from Newegg the same day, I decided to install them before turning my machine on for the first time. I was impressed with how simple this was. The case was designed to use as few screws as possible. There is a latch which opens the side of the case, the memory riser cards also slide out for easy upgrades. The only thing you need to use screws for are installing hard drives since you need to place it in the cage. Easy to follow instructions and no visible cables make upgrading simple for the inexperienced user who might be feeling a little brave.

Issues

Although I'm pretty happy with my purchase, there are a few lingering problems, some of which I may be able to resolve on my own.

Hard disk cage resonance

After installing my secondary hard drive, I noticed after a day or two that the hard drive seems to be resonating rather loudly against the case itself. This is probably something I can fix on my own, but I just haven't had time lately. Also given that the drives are set to spin down when they're inactive, this is not as much of a nuisance as it may seem.

Memory temperature

I installed iStat Pro to monitor a few things on my system, and I have noticed that my memory, which have heatsinks, usually runs anywhere in between 67-73C. Yes, Celsius. I had read that fully buffered DIMMs have a tendency of running hotter than conventional DIMMs, but I was initially very concerned about the stability of my system. After a few days, I simply stopped caring since everything seems to be working fine.

Rosetta

Although more and more applications are becoming PowerPC and Intel friendly, there are still a few out there that require the Rosetta emulation layer. The biggest culprit for me would be the Adobe CS2 applications. Although obviously with the raw power of two dual core processors, there is not much that feels very sluggish. That being said, it could run faster. I can put up with this since CS3 is around the corner hopefully.

No Photo Booth or Front Row

The Mac Pro does not come with an iSight camera nor does it have an IR receiver, so you're out of luck in these departments. Of course, this shouldn't matter much because if you're looking for this kind of functionality, the iMac or MacBook seems like a more reasonable choice.

Features

Noise!

Or, a lack thereof. I've been accustomed to my PCs making my room a little noisy from all of the 80mm fans and hard drives and such. The Mac Pro has four 120mm fans, which always run between 500-600rpm. As a result, I simply cannot tell if the Mac is running unless the power light is on!

Power!

This thing is fast and offers lots of room for internal and external expansion. Since it comes with so much standard, the only thing I could see myself upgrading would be memory. Fully buffered DIMMs are expensive though, so that's not really a top priority.

Cool!

In terms of temperature, too! With the already noted exception of memory, everything runs at a fairly low temperature. Each processor usually idles a little over ambient temperature and fluctuates another 5C under load. You really don't have to worry about your Mac Pro doubling as a space heater or putting a dent in your electric bill.

Pictures!

These were taken with my Sony Ericsson K800i under less than optimal lighting conditions, so quality isn't that great. I'll post some new ones under daylight.

macpro1.jpg

macpro2.jpg

macpro3.jpg

Conclusion

For the user that wants a fast and stylish machine capable of handing professional applications, media production, design and development, or anything else you could think of, the Mac Pro is certainly capable of handling it. However, this is a fairly expensive machine, so if you feel like you can get the same kind of functionality out of a iMac or a PC, go for it.

Of course, if I think of anything else to put in here or if you feel I should add or change something, please let me know.

Great review! I've been thinking of picking up a refurb Mac Pro for college, and this put me one step closer (T) And I might've missed this, but how much RAM do you have in it now? And did it come with a keyboard and mouse? Thanks in advance :)

it comes with 1gb of ram stock, but i bought a pair of 1gb sticks on newegg so i'll have room to expand up to 8gb

you also get the basic mac keyboard and a usb mighty mouse

it comes with 1gb of ram stock, but i bought a pair of 1gb sticks on newegg so i'll have room to expand up to 8gb

you also get the basic mac keyboard and a usb mighty mouse

Ok, thanks for that!

Damn, wouldn't this machine be a tad overkill for college??

Well, I'm going to be doing Interactive Media Design, so I need a powerful computer ;)

Something clarly don't fit in your review...

Memory temperature

I installed iStat Pro to monitor a few things on my system, and I have noticed that my memory, which have heatsinks, usually runs anywhere in between 67-73C. Yes, Celsius. I had read that fully buffered DIMMs have a tendency of running hotter than conventional DIMMs, but I was initially very concerned about the stability of my system. After a few days, I simply stopped caring since everything seems to be working fine.

Cool!

In terms of temperature, too! With the already noted exception of memory, everything runs at a fairly low temperature. Each processor usually idles a little over ambient temperature and fluctuates another 5C under load. You really don't have to worry about your Mac Pro doubling as a space heater or putting a dent in your electric bill.

How can you call it cool if your ram heat more than my PentiumD that is NON-cool ? :/

Something clarly don't fit in your review...How can you call it cool if your ram heat more than my PentiumD that is NON-cool ? :/

the ram is the only real exception. considering how cool everything else runs, one could come to the conclusion that the fb-dimms are running as cool as they'll probably ever get.

That weird, can you open the case without braking your warranty and sense if the RAM area is that hot? (Don't touch it directly...)

In case that it would be bad sensor or something blocking the air ventilation.

Btw, I envy you, I would love so mush to have a Mac if I would have the money...

Too bad they don't do single core 2 duo Mac Pro..

• 2 weeks later...

in case anyone was wondering... the resonating drives issue is resolved. i just opened the case and tried pushing the drives in a little more and that did the trick.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a similar Mac Pro. I have upgraded the memory and added an extra 500GB hard drive. Comparing it to when I first got it, the temps are still the same in iStat, but I notice my room gets a little bit hotter than it used to when I have my door closed for a few hours. I alos notice the annoying hard drive against the case noise, but as you said it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Below are screenshots of various stuff:

post-63221-1221827605_thumb.jpg

post-63221-1221827719_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonyjr

Mac Pro's need some bad-ass graphics card. I mean c'mon, they've got lots of cards to choose from, why stick with crappy ones? (Not talking about Quadros).

• 3 weeks later...