[ps3] Why is it not selling?

This is prob just my first post in the gamers thread ever, lol..but from what im hearing here on Neowin, the PS3 is not selling as well as expected.

Why is this? Is it the competition has finally caught up or is it the price, or is it simply not as good as the other consoles.

its the price and people not understanding that is more then just a games console..

granted, it is not JUST this.. but i feel this to be the main reason

i don't understand what the mental barrier of ~?300 is for a games console.. but its there and its going to be hard to shake off

its the price and people not understanding that is more then just a games console..

yah, people are so stupid :rolleyes:

Im sure those 10 year olds asking for a wii or 16 year olds asking for a 360 are really concerned about whether it has blu ray or not

yah, people are so stupid :rolleyes:

Im sure those 10 year olds asking for a wii or 16 year olds asking for a 360 are really concerned about whether it has blu ray or not

well.. yes, people are stupid. but i won't go into that now

SONY has never aimed it consoles at 'kids' they have always been marketed at the 20something+ bracket

I think the price and the lack of good games for it at the moment. They say it is more than a games console but no one cares... we want good games not a console that has awful games that can play blu-ray and view pictures off my memory stick.

Sorry to sound a bit like a Sony hater, i'm far from it as i'll most likely be getting a PS3 next month, i have faith in Sony that they will bring out some top titles in the future.

I think another factor is that Sony is losing all its exclusive titles too.

At this point they don't have any exclusive games that I would want to play, so I'm sticking with just having a 360 until that changes (or there's a massive price drop).

It is selling, so I wouldn't have this doom and gloom perspective on the PS3. Is it selling as good as the 360, or even the Wii? Heck no, and it won't until a pricedrop occurs.

The PS3 is a great console, but the big issue is Blue-Ray. Some people love to have a High-Def movie player, and for them the PS3 is a great deal, cheaper then a stand-alone blue-ray player and it has amazing gaming as well. But the problem is those who don't want a high-def player (like me), they don't want to pay a premium for a feature that isn't optional, and so far has yet to actually offer anything more then DVD9 in video games.

This isn't insulting the PS3 at all, it's just the reality of consumers. Another big barrier for both the 360 and PS3 is the High-Def nature of both consoles. You simply won't get a "true" experience unless you have an HDTV, and a ton of people don't have one. And this is even worse for the PS3 since you're paying a $200 premium on a high-def movie player that even some HDTV owners don't wish to buy.

The honest truth is, neither the 360 or PS3 are going to sell like the PS2 did last generation. It just isn't possible considering the adoption of HDTV televisions is just not there. Next generation may be different though..

But think about it.. What is another attractive feature of the Wii? It's a strictly 480i/480p console, so at the most it's EDTV. So if you hook the Wii up to an older CRT television, it's going to look very similar (even better in some cases) then a HDTV television. Heck, some Wii games support only 4:3 (not widescreen) and 480i.. So on an HDTV they'll look really bad and even stretched.

Nintendo made the genius move in this generation.. Because as much as I love graphics, the casual consumer is far far bigger then the graphics loving enthusiast gamer.

i don't understand what the mental barrier of ~?300 is for a games console.. but its there and its going to be hard to shake off

because its ?300 plus about 1/3 again?

rip off. buy a wii.

Do not compare the PS3 now with the 360 now. Compare it with the 360 at the same time and you'll see that the PS3 is selling fine. Also the PS3 is $600 USD or more in some places, for that price I think the PS3 is selling fine.

I think the main problem is the price, not everyone can get it with that price. I know a lot of people that want it but can get it because of the price.

I dont particularly find the price an issue for what is for me a) a games console b) a bluray player c) a DVD player d) a media hub to house my music / vids e) a means by which to access the internet via a browser.

If you dont want to buy it, dont buy it. If you want to buy something else, buy something else. But dont diss the PS3 because you cant afford it.

There's good games coming for it, the hardware is sound, its approachable and easy to pick up.

Yes, it may be a rip off for you, but IT IS selling, units are moving all around the world, and I havent heard anyone who has one that is disappointed with their purchase. Im not saying dont wait for a price drop, or to see a better catalogue of games before picking one up, but bitching about it when its obvious you dont even have one is just pointless.

i would love a PS3 mainly cause it would go amazingly well with my tv ;) but the price does not compare to a 360 and specs are practically the same.

I would say it's far too expensive.

Then add on buying a big tv and games, other add-ons, comes to a large amount of beans.

because its ?300 plus about 1/3 again?

rip off. buy a wii.

no i mean in the past, PS1, PS2, XBOX etc they have retailed around the ?300 mark.. and now people can't seem to get over the fact that a game console can cost more!

No where in my post did i saw the PS3 cost ?300, read.

They can't afford a price drop without dropping more functionality which is why I don't think we'll be seeing one soon. They've already made the backwards compatibility software based over here and I can't see what else they could shave off, they won't remove blu-ray it's probably the most important selling point, they could remove wi-fi and perhaps introduce a smaller hard-drive version but I don't think Sony want multiple SKU's that they consider crippled after comments they threw at Microsoft for doing this with the core and premium.

I look forward to getting a PS3 but I'm not prepared to pay four hundred and whatever pounds to play Metal Gear Solid and then wait six months for Gran Turismo, especially if Forza 2 turns out to be as complete as it seems to be shaping up. They messed up big time with not securing exclusives, which is apparently Kutaragi's fault. I agree with MadFerIt2006 on the selling factor being affected by the hi-def TV necessity. I know only a few people with hi-def TV's and only one of them plays videogames. The more people hear words such as 'hdmi' and '1080p/i' the more likely they're to think that that gaming machine isn't for them, and go with the Wii which looks uncomplicated and is so.

It's all been said before and must seem tired and recycled but Nintendo have been clever this time, they learnt from the DS's success have captured a market that has both enthusiasts and non-gamers. I'll end up getting all three as I usually do but I really can't see myself playing the PS3 half as much as I did my PS2, it needs to fight for my love and attention like an unusually short middle child.

The problem with this logic is a lot of gamers I know are annoyed that Sony keep saying this. What they wanted from the PS3 is a games console and Sony wandering around going yes but the large price tag is because it is the centre of your home entertainment word, just ****es them off. If they wanted to take this line at the very least they should of made two models. The gamer model cheap and with games, and the HE model more expensive with lots of whistles and bells. SCE have lost direction at the end of the day people who want HD have the TV and a upscaling DVD player that does all they want as far as the HE experience and wanted Sony to add to that with good HD gaming.

Do not compare the PS3 now with the 360 now. Compare it with the 360 at the same time and you'll see that the PS3 is selling fine. Also the PS3 is $600 USD or more in some places, for that price I think the PS3 is selling fine.

I think the main problem is the price, not everyone can get it with that price. I know a lot of people that want it but can get it because of the price.

This anology is also beginning to annoy me. The PS3 is selling better at the moment because there is stock of it. The reason the 360 wasn't selling better at this point in it's life cycle was because nowhere had any stock not because people didn't want it.

If you want examples of the want for these machines look at the EBay prices for the units at this point in their life cycle.

It is a sad day when a console that has been out for a year is outselling the machine that has been out for four months. People don't want to spend that much money on a games console.

I do however think this will change in 12-18 months. Sony will reduce the price of the console and the titles available will increase and then it will sell. The Sony brand is strong enough to ensure this and a lot of people aren't investing in a 360 who would of bought a PS3 they are sticking with their PS2 and waiting for the price to drop. Sony will not loose this round as badly as the figures at the moment suggest.

However it will be interesting to see the next generation. If Sony can not prove themselves to be much better than the 360 in this round and looking at the titles available, the capabilities of the two machines seem evenly matched. If blue ray doesn't become the format of choice you are going to see a lot of fanboys really questioning weather they made the right choice this generation. It could really hurt Sony in the next.