[ps3] Why is it not selling?

Dude - that makes no sense. Perhaps you need to put the keyboard down cowboy.

My keyboard's on my desk so "that makes no sense". I'm not going through listing posts you've made that make you look like you'd bend over and take anything Sony gives you but people can look through them and make up their own mind if they wish. Good luck with the blind loyalty though, I hope that works out for you.

I thought in the amount of time PS3 has been out it's been selling pretty good, sure Wii came out 2 days later and has sold way more but Wii is a much cheaper system.

Personally, with me, I want one, but not so bad. Given my current situation (paying back school loans), I could either stop buying 360 and DS games and save for awhile to afford a PS3, or I could do nothing about it. With the ammount of games for it now, compared to the systems I already have, I don't have a compelling reason to save up $600 yet. I'm definitely waiting out on this, which is strange, given that the only Sony console I've never bought was the PSP (which I may also get in due time). So there you have it. I would assue a lot of other people feel the same way, especially people who are 360 owners. I want one, but just not yet.

cost and the fact that little kids no longer have stuff like crash bandicoot they have bowling games on there wii so they don't need to leave the house ATALL

The average price of ?450 for a PS3 is expensive. Not many people can afford it, infact, that's quite a lot of money for a console. If I were to spend that much money, I'd rather spend it on two 8800gts graphics cards.

I could buy one at that price, but I don't think it's worth it.

considering a console does more you're obviously a pc gamer so its not really a logical choice to buy a graphics card instead of a console.

here in NZ 8800GTX on average costs same or more then a ps3 does for just 1 card.

Well either its not selling well after launch or sony arent putting enough consoles on the shelves (which im afraid is hard to believe since it has been reported that their are ps3's on the shelves in NA)

fact is that the Wii and the ps3 were released at the same time, the Wii has sold over 3 million more units, dont give me the whole ps3 wasnt global bs because at the end of the day they still had to make the consoles

it might have had a good launch in the uk here, and maybe at other launches... but when you look at the figures it just doesnt seem to be taking off as well as the Wii, this is why people say it isnt selling very well... initial sales are good but afterwards it drops

its hard to include the xbox sales into this as it was so long ago but i think at the end of the day the REAL point is...

what does it matter?!?!

at the end of the day, choose your console that is right for you for the right reasons... if price is an issue then so what please dont come in here and moan because people say the price is too high... not everyone can afford to go out and pay ?400 for something when they can spend ?300 on something that is pretty much the same without blu ray... i would love a ps3, but im still trying to pay off my xbox 360, yeah i stupidly got it on finance and my time of 0% insterest is coming to an end... so i definatly cant afford to get a ps3! so yes the price tag is too much for me

considering a console does more you're obviously a pc gamer so its not really a logical choice to buy a graphics card instead of a console.

here in NZ 8800GTX on average costs same or more then a ps3 does for just 1 card.

A console does more than a pc?

On second though, ?425 seems reasonable for the features you are getting with the PS3. A Blue-Ray player for the PC alone costs around the same price as the PS3 at the moment ~?400-?500.

My keyboard's on my desk so "that makes no sense". I'm not going through listing posts you've made that make you look like you'd bend over and take anything Sony gives you but people can look through them and make up their own mind if they wish. Good luck with the blind loyalty though, I hope that works out for you.

There is no 'blind loyalty' at all - Sony have made a good product, I liked it, I bought it. Thats it. Get over yourself.

I haven't played a console game since the '80s Atari. All of these Marios references go right over my head, I can't relate. I've been thinking of getting a console, only because good PC games are so sporadic (I don't like RTS games). I don't like to support Microsoft because they are 'the Man', but Sony has been jerks lately, especially with the whole CD/DRM thing. So it's not a social stand. I want to try to play a Final Fantsay games becuase I have heard so much about them (and other Japanese titles), but right now I am leaning towards an X-Box 360. It's cheaper, and it has the titles I hear everybody talking about (I played Halo on the PC, blah).

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards the 360. I'm on dial-up so I can't do online play, I'm just trying to figure out who has the best games. As of this moment, it's the 360. Should I wait a year for good PS3 games? I've waited 20 years to play console games, I'm bored now!

(IMHO The WII really just doesn't appeal to me. I want pc-like games)

Four prominent reasons why it's not selling

1. The price tag is rather unattractive at first go. Until one sits down to compare cost of a Bluray drive which is a secondary reason to buy a console.

2. The specs are not leaps and bounds ahead of its cheaper counter part XBOX360

3. There is no novelty per se in the system unlike Wii which takes the cake in novelty department with its new controller.

4. Initial titles of PS3 are not much ahead graphically of the XBOX360.

Nothing topclass by a mile in any department. that's why the sales are also not top class. there is NO USP (Unique Selling Point) for the PS3.

The day can still be saved for Sony by not going tough on piracy of titles and getting unique games on the console ASAP.

Definately get a 360 then, its been out a good while and at least has a catalogue of games, which is something that currently the PS3 doesnt have.

Most 360 users tout Live as the best online experience, so far I agree, what I would say is check out the genre of games you are most interested in - not what people are all talking about. Read some independant reviews over several sites, then just go out and look for a good deal on the console.

You can always play it for a few months, try the games that are currently hyped, or that you see as appealing to you, then sell it and use the funds for something else.

Or hell, buy a super-cheap SNES and play some of the best games ever released :D

For me I'm a skint student and just want something new and fun to play on, They're all fun and so I've chose the Wii because its the cheapest, no other reason at all lol

Its not selling cause of the price.

I can afford:

PS3 OR

Wii + 360 OR

360 with a bunch of games

Wii with a hell of a lot of games

Its like deciding if you should I buy a Viper, or a Civic and a Mustang??

2 is better than one, and always will be.

Games are a point too.. the 360 has mostly the same games with the same graphics for anywhere from $10-40 cheaper than the PS3. Resistance, Ridge Racer 7 and Motorstorm being the only 'PS3 exclusives' right now...

Plus the PS2 still got another year or two of life in it, its $150 out the door with 2 controllers.. Can't go wrong there having an archive of like 2500 games, with 500 priced less than $20.

Sony did too much at once and now don't know what to do with it.

Well, Ruciz, Im not doing you down, or telling you what to buy. As good as the systems are, when you are looking at buying a system right now you have to judge that on the games that are out right now, and in the near future.

Our Wii is brilliant when we have friends or family over, and is probably the most 'fun' console of the 3, the Wiimote is a gimmick as has been said, but it is a gimmick done well - its useable, fun, and even your grandma will like it. Downside, is that once you get tired of the gimmick, its less fun and there is a lack of unique 'solo' titles.

The 360 is a good solid well supported console - and is probably still ahead of the game. Microsoft got off early, and on the right foot. Theres a lot of great games, and some really big names that everyone is talking about right now. Live is probably the best online service right now - downloadable games, old arcade games, downloadable media such as TV shows, HD stuff and the like. Downside, well, there isnt really one that Ive seen.

PS3 has a limited catalogue right now, and people should really give it a chance for it to get off the ground. Sony havent done themselves any favours in the PR department, as well as delays and revised hardware designs. We know it has faults, we know its expensive, we know there are no big titles now, but give it as much time as the 360 has and we'll have MGS4, GT5, Tekken 6, FFXIII, as well as hopefully other games in development. What Sony needs to do is keep these titles on their system alone and think of it as a longterm investment.

I don't think the price is the problem, there are plenty of finance options available to people who want the PS3 now, but cannot afford the asking price out right. Also it is in fact selling very well, with Sony boasting it is the fastest selling console of all time (but I don't know how much of that is actually true though, knowing Sony :p) The main problem is I think games, there just isn't enough good titles. However, once the heavy hitters start coming in (FFXIII, MGS4, GT5 etc) watch the PS3s fly off the shelves ;)

jeeeezzz..wonder did sony do any market research first!!! :o

I am pretty sure they have done. Not much though.

PS3 is all about pushing Blu-Ray, it's as simple as that. If it wasn't, Sony would've held it for a bit more and waited for the hardware price drop a bit, considering PS2 is still selling very well.

I am pretty sure they have done. Not much though.

PS3 is all about pushing Blu-Ray, it's as simple as that. If it wasn't, Sony would've held it for a bit more and waited for the hardware price drop a bit, considering PS2 is still selling very well.

I think Sony were more interested in getting a next-gen 'footprint' out in the sand - Microsoft is undeniably controlling the market, and Sony are already a year behind. If they had waited another year they would be releasing half way through the 4 year usual gap between the current and next gen systems, and just as the PS3 is getting solid foundations in respect of games, the 'next' next console would be coming out, or at least be in design and you'd see threads like, 'buy a ps3 or wait for the 720'.

If anything, Sony have probably waited too long - albeit due to technical issues - to enter this era of consoles.

A console does more than a pc?

On second though, ?425 seems reasonable for the features you are getting with the PS3. A Blue-Ray player for the PC alone costs around the same price as the PS3 at the moment ~?400-?500.

A console does more then a graphics card, read the post.

The main problem is the price. You can get a 360 and a wii for the price of a ps3.

Why would somebody buy 1 console when they can buy 2 . with the 360 and the wii you get all the nintendo games and all the pc games .

Because of the price.

I won't buy one until the price is like down atleast 1/3 or 1/2. I will neither buy a Xbox 360 though. I might buy a Wii though.

Price, plain and simple. The PS2 didn't start to sell quickly until after the price was reduced to $200. It was only at this point that it's sales figures began to skyrocket.

So, how long do you think it will take to shave $400 of the retail sticker?

:laugh: