[ps3] Why is it not selling?

I don't think the price is the problem, there are plenty of finance options available to people who want the PS3 now, but cannot afford the asking price out right.

Yeah, but who wants to get financing just to buy a console? I honestly could buy a PS3 right now, but I just don't want to pay that much for a gaming console. I understand that the PS3 is a pretty good deal when you take into account all of it's features, but I mainly want to play games. If I really wanted Blu-ray and didn't have my 360 as a media hub already, I'd probably own one right now. Since that isn't the case, I have to hope that Sony can cut their costs quickly so we can get a price drop.

I have a feeling that a PS3 price drop won't take nearly as long as with the 360 since currently the PS3 is a long way from a mass market price tag - and I can't see any console doing particularly well without reaching the mass market. Sony can't stick with the Mercedes analogy throughout the PS3's lifetime and still be successful. They'd eventually lose all of their 3rd party exclusives if they went that route.

Reasons why the PS3 doesn't sell well:

• vastly overpriced, especially in EU/Aus (US$840 instead of $600)
  • EU/Aus: crippled PS3 w/o Emotion Engine, thus poor backwards compatibility
  • no good games for it, which makes the poor backwards compatibility even worse
  • Blu-ray crap that no one wants
  • proper HD output only with high-end HD tvs
  • Sony continually crapping in their customer's mouths, and their overall arrogant attitude
  • there are good alternatives with the Wii and the X360, which are cheaper and have good games for them

Thus, only blind Sony fanboys buy it right now :pinch:

Sony sales boss quits ahead of PS3 launch

14:00, Feb 13th 2007 by Lisa Foster

Sony?s UK head of sales Kevin Jowett has quit ? just five weeks from the launch of PlayStation 3 in Europe.

SCE UK commercial director Jowett has been something of a stalwart within the PlayStation division of Sony. He took over as sales director from Doug Goodwin back in 1998 and has played an integral role within the organisation since then, in particular working closely with retailers over stock allocations on PS2, PSP and, more recently, PS3. He has also taken a keen interest in general retail issues such as pricing and the second-hand games market.

MCV understands that Jowett has resigned to pursue new opportunities outside of the games industry and has left the company immediately, due to confidentiality issues.

The news will undoubtedly be seen as a blow to Sony ? and may disrupt sensitive negotiations that are already underway with retailers over the launch of PS3. His departure has already shocked senior execs on the UK High Street, with one leading games buyer telling MCV: “The timing is absolutely incredible.

“Kevin is going just as Sony is talking to everyone about terms and arranging pre-orders and in-store marketing campaigns.

“Obviously, Sony is a big organisation and there will be people there who can fill Kevin?s position. But this can?t be helpful to them.”

SCE UK MD Ray Maguire confirmed Jowett?s resignation, offering: “We wish Kevin all the best in his future endeavours.”

Source

14:00, Feb 13th 2007 by Lisa Foster

Sony?s UK head of sales Kevin Jowett has quit ? just five weeks from the launch of PlayStation 3 in Europe.

SCE UK commercial director Jowett has been something of a stalwart within the PlayStation division of Sony. He took over as sales director from Doug Goodwin back in 1998 and has played an integral role within the organisation since then, in particular working closely with retailers over stock allocations on PS2, PSP and, more recently, PS3. He has also taken a keen interest in general retail issues such as pricing and the second-hand games market.

either he made a good decision or he has made worst decision e:pr :p

you never really know what happened behind the scenes. I do know most the time when there's a respect for someone, and that same someone just plain F'ed things up, they as for a resignation rather than blemish his resume with a big Termination from sony.

I never put mind into these types of news.

The PS3 has outsold the 360 in it's first 90 days (first 90 days of each console's lifecycle).

It has outsold the PS2's first 90 days.

It also did this utilizing only two of the three major regions (Japan, North America, and Europe).

It only appears to not be selling well because of a) negative press, (ie, Sony's PR being it's own worst PR), b) the Wii's impressive start, and c) the 360's jump in sales due to several recent stellar titles.

Oh, and the fact that the best games for a Sony system keep coming out for the PS2 (Bully, GoW2, FF12, GTA:VCS, Guitar Hero).

Can't blame the guy - he probably already anticipated the poor sales at launch and didn't want to be made the scapegoat for it, so he quit.

I believe a console isn't worth it until their is enough games you like which match the console price or exceeds it.

I'll go with that. S'why I haven't ran out and picked up one of the dusty PS3's from the local gamestop.

Same reason I never bought one of the original XBox's.

Reasons why the PS3 doesn't sell well:
  • vastly overpriced, especially in EU/Aus (US$840 instead of $600)
  • EU/Aus: crippled PS3 w/o Emotion Engine, thus poor backwards compatibility
  • no good games for it, which makes the poor backwards compatibility even worse
  • Blu-ray crap that no one wants
  • proper HD output only with high-end HD tvs
  • Sony continually crapping in their customer's mouths, and their overall arrogant attitude
  • there are good alternatives with the Wii and the X360, which are cheaper and have good games for them

Thus, only blind Sony fanboys buy it right now :pinch:

This is the type of post we don't want guys. If you can't support your opinion without insulting people who disagree with you (calling them fanboys), feel free to not post. Let's keep it clean people

Edited by Chad

going fine here - out performed wii in sales on launch few days. probably surpass wii in general sales here within next few months.

i'm happy i live in country which is Sony favored. :)

NZ Retailer: PS3 pre-orders five times that of the Wii

Added on 25/03/2007.

Today James Cunnold, merchandise director of Dick Smith, said the PlayStation 3 New Zealand pre-orders are 5 times that of the Nintendo Wii.

They expect it to have been the biggest console launch ever.

Although the PlayStation 3 has a very high price in New Zealand, 1200$NZ (which is about €650/800$US), the PlayStation 3 advance sales exceeded that of its predecessors, the PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2, and its rival console the Xbox 360.

Edited by Digix

$999 Aust. Is just too much. I look at it and think, why so expensive????

the graphic are very nice, but i don't have a HD TV either.

though i COULD trade in my old PS2/Xbox for one and pay another $699 Aust. ..... Whatever, there is no way in hell i'm going to trade my Xbox/PS2 for an overly priced console like the PS3.

I may get a 360 soon, if i feel like it. lol.

The PS3 has outsold the 360 in it's first 90 days (first 90 days of each console's lifecycle).

It has outsold the PS2's first 90 days.

It also did this utilizing only two of the three major regions (Japan, North America, and Europe).

It only appears to not be selling well because of a) negative press, (ie, Sony's PR being it's own worst PR), b) the Wii's impressive start, and c) the 360's jump in sales due to several recent stellar titles.

Oh, and the fact that the best games for a Sony system keep coming out for the PS2 (Bully, GoW2, FF12, GTA:VCS, Guitar Hero).

Umm... nooooo... It "appears" to be selling poorly, because they're actually not selling well. Of course it outsold the PS2 - the market is MUCH larger now than it was then. And of course they outsold the 360 - MS had the worst launch in gaming history.

The bottom line is this - consoles are gathering dust on shelves, and being sold at a loss online.

^..yup

thats why i started the thread..

im no longer a gamer but the shops were advertising midnight opening of shops to sell it expecting big numbers in a rush..

Never Happened.

^..yup

thats why i started the thread..

im no longer a gamer but the shops were advertising midnight opening of shops to sell it expecting big numbers in a rush..

Never Happened.

I dont think they were expecting big numbers, I think it was in anticipation based, and actually giving customers the chance to get in first and buy the console they had to wait an extra 5 months for over the US and Japan.

We already have evidence from two sources now that the machine is selling by the bucket load, this thread should be closed and the haters should be told to go home.

All they needed to sell me on it was a new Gran Turismo game but they can't even deliver on that so I don't bother. XBOX 360 Elite is looking tempting since I haven't bought the original yet.

You can download the new Gran Turismo game from the PSN store.

Its a demo of what is to come. its limited to 10 cars.

But a new GT came will be coming out. And that is properly when i will be buying a PS3, along with a HDTV.