PlayStation 3 becomes UK's fastest-selling home console

thats funny because thats what companies use to do.. including Sony with products :rofl:

I know and the crazy thing is, it works. People see its sold out and think that automatically means its sold well and if something hasn't then it must be doing bad

Generalisation, generalisation, generalisation.

You have nothing to base any of that on, but hey, its an opinion just like everyone elses, but for everyone else on this merry-go-round, remember that opinion is a far cry from fact.

And of course I have nothing to base that on, so here we go round again - wheee ! Och, it's Doogle! This must be a MAGIC roundabout!

Oh, and I didnt know I was Scottish!

His second point isn't a bad generalization and it isn't baseless. Four months of NPD numbers have shown the PS3 to not be able to outsell either of the other consoles yet in a single month in the US (with it getting close to the sub-100k level just last month). In Japan, where the numbers are even more accurate, while the PS3 is (not surprisingly) stomping on the 360, it's getting ran over by the Wii. I'd be willing to bet that numbers from said territories (which matter the most along with the EU) are pretty generalizable.

-Spenser

None? You mean none, except for those selling at a loss, right?

The fact of the matter is Nintendo could have easily surpassed this record, if they too had hundreds of thousands of extra consoles gathering dust in warehouses. This isn't good news for Sony, by any stretch of the imagination. Sony had over 200,000 consoles available at launch, and there are still consoles sitting on shelves.

Source

Everything is wrong in your world isn't it?

It's wrong if Sony doesn't supply enough machines according to the demand.

It's wrong if Sony ships enough units to meet the market demands.

Yea yea i know, everything Sony does is wrong, no matter what!

@forster

1)as is stated above japanese sales figures are poor for the PS3 when compared with the Wii although it is pounding the 360 still. In north america NPD figures show pretty much everything but the discontiued Xbox is beating it in Sales.

2) This isn't a generalisation it is an assumption based on the question if there are lots of people out there who want a PS3, and by this I mean are in the position to buy one and want the hardware, why haven't they?

If there are 50000 units unsold this suggests that the people who want one can get one so why haven't they?

If there are 50000 units unsold this suggests that the people who want one can get one so why haven't they?

huh?

I wanted a 360 but I didn't buy it until dec 2006(Even tho it was more or less the same as launch price). Just because people haven't snapped them up straight away doesn't mean much

huh?

I wanted a 360 but I didn't buy it until dec 2006(Even tho it was more or less the same as launch price). Just because people haven't snapped them up straight away doesn't mean much

Indeed.

Wait til the PS3 sees a small pricedrop and some good exclusive games (MGS4, Gran Turismo and such) and wait and see how many consoles are sold then.

The fact of the matter is, a console without any killer games won't sell no matter what the console is called. People buy consoles to play games, not to have them as a design accessory in their livingrooms.

As I said in my first post though given 12 months I think the PS3 will sell masses in about a year when the Gold games come out and the price comes down a bit.

What I am saying is at the moment and for the first 4-5 months sales will now remain low.

Lots of people are holding off due to lack of games, waiting for a price drop, want to make sure the hardware is stable. These people will not be buying a console in the next three months. I was suggesting why the figure of 165000 is an immediate problem for Sony.

As time passes the console will gather strength and will win this round, Sony are to good at consoles not to. But as a launch goes I am quite worried by what I am seeing.

Ought to say why I am worried, well Sony need to get lots of consoles in home soon. As we have seen a lot of third party companies are already getting jumpy about PS3 exclusives. If Sony don't sell lots of PS3's soon it will not make economic sense for any 3rd company to make any game PS3 exclusive. Companys need to see return on investment now not in 6 months when people are ready to buy the PS3. If sales don't pick up world wide it won't be long before FF13 and MGS end up cross platform, the installed userbase for the PS3 won't be big enough to recoupe costs.

Edited by fingers.t.beaver

The problem is this - even with a price drop (which seems to solve the most unanimously agreed upon problem), where will it end up? The $600 SKU becomes $500? That is the most they'd be able to drop the price between now and November, and even dropping it that much is asking quite a lot. Put simply, $500 is still far too pricey for a console. And once Sony is finally able to drop the price to $400 (November 2008, at the earliest), MS will be able to drop the Elite price to $300, or lower, quite easily.

By that time (Nov 08), MS will have such a large lead, that Sony will likely have lost every 3rd party exclusive that they still have - developers can simply not afford to produce games for a system with such a small install base. At this point, economics dictate that the added value of the Playstation brand will be at or near zero, nullifying any remaining advantage Sony had coming into this generation.

Nah dj it's not that bad your counting out the power of the brand, the console is amazing very very powerful once tapped and even if they lost all 3rd party to multiplatform the 1st party line up would still be enough to make most people want one.

Sony will win this round the question is by what magin.

I won't deny that Sony will win the generation - to do so would be somewhat foolhardy. But, it will take more than 1st party titles to keep them competitive. Nintendo has a FAR superior 1st party lineup, and that wasn't enough to make them competitive last gen, so why would it work for Sony this gen?

Nintendo has a FAR superior 1st party lineup, and that wasn't enough to make them competitive last gen, so why would it work for Sony this gen?

Problem with that is, that lots of people, mainly in upper age class have already gotten sick of having to play as 'Mario' in every game genre on Nintendo.

Mario needs retirement imo. Kill Mario and you've killed Nintendo. Mario is aging and thats why nintendo has little left. They're on their last console push imo.

Very different route than what M$ and $ony have taken.

Problem with that is, that lots of people, mainly in upper age class have already gotten sick of having to play as 'Mario' in every game genre on Nintendo.

Mario needs retirement imo. Kill Mario and you've killed Nintendo. Mario is aging and thats why nintendo has little left. They're on their last console push imo.

Very different route than what M$ and $ony have taken.

True gamers never get sick of Mario, because true gamers look for gameplay, rather than flashy characters/graphics/etc., and Mario games (Super Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc) have always delivered stellar gameplay. But you're right - a lot of people get the "kiddie system" stigma stuck in their heads, and that makes them feel insecure, as if playing it will make them less of a man, or something. So that is a drawback.

However, its a drawback that BOTH Sony and MS would love to have. Make no mistake about it - if Mario were for sale, one of them would buy it, and do so at almost any price.

True gamers never get sick of Mario, because true gamers look for gameplay.

What a bunch of bull - Just because i like to have some eye-candy I'm just a wannabe gamer or what?

:rolleyes:

What a bunch of bull - Just because i like to have some eye-candy I'm just a wannabe gamer or what?

:rolleyes:

No. However, if you choose eye candy over gameplay, then yes.