What is unsecapp.exe?

Can anyone tell me what's "unsecapp.exe"? It auto-starts with Vista Home Premium. The file properties has this info: "Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application". Is it safe to terminate it? How do I disable it so that it won't auto-start?

unsecapp.exe is a process found on Microsoft Windows server and workstation suites which offers support towards compatibility issues. Please see below website for more information: http://msdn.Microsoft.com/library/default....atesinkstub.asp This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Google is your friend.

How to remove unsecapp error

The free file information forum can help you find out if unsecapp.exe is a virus, trojan, spyware, adware which you can remove, or a file belonging to a Windows system or an application you can trust.

unsecapp.exe file information

The process WMI belongs to the software Microsoft? Windows? Operating System/b> Microsoft Corporation/b> (www.microsoft.com).

Description:/b> File unsecapp.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 16896 bytes (97% of all occurrence), 24064 bytes.

File unsecapp.exe is a Windows core system file. It is a file without information about the maker of this file. The program is not visible. File unsecapp.exe is a Microsoft signed file. Therefore the technical security rating 8% dangerous/i>.Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as unsecapp.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the unsecapp.exe process on your pc whether it is pest./b>

I seem to recall having this runnng but it isn't anymore. It's not listed as the executable in either of the services so I'm not sure how/why it starts.

From Bobster's description, it sounds like it may start automatically if Windows notices there's an application with known compatibility problems running. Sort of a helper process to resolve these issues perhaps? And it may "disappear" if you don't run any such programs. I know Vista has a list of programs with known compatibility problems. Microsoft's own Visual Studio 2005 is among them. :p When you start such programs, you usually get a dialog box warning you about that though.

It's not registered as one of the Services. I saw the unsecapp.exe entry in Windows Task Manager under Processes tab. Not sure about the application compatibility problems but I don't have any 3rd party software running at Windows startup