Worth using a HD monitor for video editing?

My friend is about to finish uni and is hoping to get a job that will involve video editing. He is going to buy a new pc quite soon and will need a new monitor, is it worth him getting a HD monitor? He seems to think that one of these will be necessary.

Thanks in advance

^^Any recommendations? For sake of argument lets say below ?400, unless that isn't enough for a decent monitor. I really wouldn't know as video editing isn't my thing....

• 3 months later...
Sorry for the (maybe) stupid question, but I thought all computer monitors were HD....

There really is no such thing as a "computer monitor" where it only displays stuff on your computer. As long as the inputs get a signal the monitor can display it. This is how a TV and regular monitor work. As long as the connection is as needed then you will get what you want. Anyways, HD monitors are really monitors that can go up to resolutions of 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and above.

I do recommend a dual setup of 1680x1050 as Spielo said but it would also help to try 2 1080p monitors as well, ask specifically what he needs it for so you will be able to easily decide.

Sorry for the (maybe) stupid question, but I thought all computer monitors were HD....

Higher than 1080 pixels vertically is considered a HD computer monitor :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some time has passed since the creation of this thread but for future inquiries I have a Samsung 226BW with a resolution of 1680x1050 and video editing in Sony Vegas is a dream. I'd strongly recommend getting a so-called HD monitor or a dual display setup as suggested previously.